• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I hate to even broach the subject, but.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

OH AND I FORGOT TO SAY: THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR SETS GROTHE UP TO FAIL.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  0

The spread offense is the offense we need to run. We have a mobile QB and an OL that doesn't block well. We are in the right offense we just aren't calling the right plays and our offense is playing as well as they possibly could. IMO there is no reason to have 50+ pass attempts for a qb that isn't really a pocket passing qb. THIS WHOLE OFFENSE IS OUT OF ORDER!!!

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I can't believe that anyone can blame Grothe for this.  Non existant running game except of course for Grothe.  He can't make receivers catch the balls, take a look at some of the receivers we have played against, They catch everything near them- like Bogan did for us.  Grothe had a  school record for passing yards and he threw something like 59 times, oh and by the way he can't block for himself

• Content Count:  10,219

we are not able to sustain drive because of mistakes dropped balls ect.

penalties were better

if our wr held on to everything throw at them we would be thumping these teams.

we lack fundamentals all over this team. the defense seemed to have righted their ship.

hope the offense gets it going.

you will not win many games when you turn the ball over

• Content Count:  136

Grothe makes a lot of poor decisions and bad mistakes that cost us...

BUT - he's a tremendous potential and with a little better reads can be great...

The coaching is trying to make him a pocket passer way too often though and that's not something he is going to do well...

• Content Count:  26

i agree with everything that is being said...dropped balls, playcalling, Oline, taking bad with the good, etc....but honestly, when you say take the bad from the good, what good are you talking about. All of those have no bearing on Grothe making the wrong read, throwing to the wrong guy, throwing behind, under throwing and not even coming close on deep balls. He runs decently wen he gets the right blocks down field, but even my grandmother could hit a big enough hole down the field if the oline blocks right. My point his the QBing skills are not as great as people say. He is a playmaker, but nothing out of the ordinary. His perception of a deep throw is to just chuck it, he does it everygame. Even looking back...that wide open play in the West Virginia game where he threw the bomb for a touchdown, almost wasnt even close to being on the mark and the WR was wide open. His arm strengt to the sideline is poor and doesnt have the ability to play smart football (spiking it on 2nd and 22 against rutgers?, and not throwing away on the naked bootleg last week when he clearly saw he had nowhere to run. I think there is a lot of upside but with the way the season has gone and is looking like its going to continue to go, i think its time he takes a break.  I mean if this were Julmiste, people would be calling for his head. Just like Amarri and the other guys who havent performed all season and people want out of the lineup. i personally feel grothe is no different which is why i think his poor playing calls for a change

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Ok, I have read it so many times, that I have to respond (since it keeps coming up 3 weeks later). The spike against RU was on first down. The clock had just stopped to re-set the chains. Grothe clearly looked to the side lines. Do you think he looked over there, got a signal, and then just decided to spike it?

My guess is that GG couldn't make up his mind, and sent in the signal to kill the clock. Just my opinion, but he was clearly looking to the sideline before that spike.

Gregory was soooooo slow getting the calls in tonight. Even on first downs, the clock was running 8 seconds before the snap. That's not on Grothe, the plays have to get in quicker.

It's like Gregory calls one play at a time with no forsight. Call a play, watch it "holy ****", that worked, we picked up 8 yards, now what'? Instead of thinking, ok, if this play works like I think it should, we will either get the first down and go with this play next, or we'll pick up 6-8 yards, and we'll go with this for the short first. He isn't thinking ahead.

• Content Count:  743

We are the only D-1 school that offered him a scholarship. I still believe that we saw a hard working kid with a great attitude and an ability to win. He isn't a 5 star qb out of high school. he doesn't have the huge arm and he isn't that accurate. However, he finds ways to get the job done and he plays way better than he is expected to play on paper. The kid is a playmaker that gets things done.

We aren't benching him and won't for the next 2 years. He's a stud. You loved him last year so love him now.

• Content Count:  282

why shotgun spread, because grothe is fast and can run to the outside.  If he goes play action when they are bringin 8 = sack. There is no wya he can get away in time. especially in an inside blitz.  With shotgun formation you can run the option a lot better.

I will add the the big guys up front have been beat up and we are missing some of our starters and other have been position shifted to cover the losses.  With MG in the 'gun it buys time and compensates for the lack of protection.

On the thread theme, MG is stuck with recievers who drop passes consistently and a run game that can't get moving due to lack of O-line run blocking.  The issues are not his but those around him and inept OC play calling IMHO.

Archived