• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I hate to even broach the subject, but.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Days Won:  0

Although i've personally felt like this from day one, with the  way Grothe has performed the last 3 games, and his poor passing yard avergage in the beginning of the season and last...it might be time to maybe give the backups a look, i mean the guy hasnt made a correct look all game, his deep balls have had ZERO accuracy all season and his inability to know when to tuck the ball and/or throw it away at the right time is terrible, we all know leavitt is loyal to his players, but some have been performing consistently bad (alverado and now grothe). I would say Jenkins but he seemed to man up this game. and before you say that Grothe is the reason we are here...i disagree. Marquell blackwell had many comebacks, and Julmiste always seemed to pull through at the end of big games. For some reason, Jumiste would throw 1 pick and in came Denson or another backup, Grothe has played like poop for 3 games and its not even a thought, i dont really agree with that. If somehow we come back in this game, great...but it shouldnt even be at this point, we've had way to many possesions regardless

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

no.

we should change our playcalling. he wouldn't be this tired right now if we managed the offense better.

• Content Count:  26

i agree with that also, ive always thought that was a problem, especiall our inablitiy to adapt and change the game plan...but his playcalling isnt the reason Grothe is making bad reads and throws

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

If you really want to look at a coach, look at Canales. It's his receivers dropping 12 passes and his QB making all those horrible reads.

• Content Count:  187

I don't understand why we are always in the shotgun.  Not easy to run from it and teams have figured out how to shut down Grothe.  Why not take a direct snap, run to set up some play action or use short passes to set up the run.  Defense sees the same set every play and has no guessing to do....Matt throws from the pocket or Matt runs with the ball.  No roll out passes,  no end arounds, no play action fakes, and no screen plays.  Just sandlot football which doesn't work against good teams.  Offense hasn't played one good game all year.

• Content Count:  39

why shotgun spread, because grothe is fast and can run to the outside.  If he goes play action when they are bringin 8 = sack. There is no wya he can get away in time. especially in an inside blitz.  With shotgun formation you can run the option a lot better.

• Content Count:  187

They can't send 8 if you run the ball.  You can also run draw plays and slants and the screen works against teams rushing 8.  Taking the snap out of the gun makes the qb take his eyes off the defense down the field which is why pro teams only use the gun with qb's that are not mobile on passing downs.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

What defense ever blitzes eight guys? If you're in the spread, that means one and maybe two players are completely uncovered.

• Content Count:  1,370

One reason for running the shotgun/spread offense, technically known as the open offense, is when you don't have highly skilled offensive linemen. It enables a quick running (including qb) and passing game where the OL doesn't have to do as much blockiing as they would in a regular or pro set offense. If you notice, we've barely even run out of the ace (two tight-end) formation this year as well.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

IF THE RECIEVERS DONT CATCH, THE RUNNING BACKS CANT HOLD THE FOOTBALL, AND THE OFFENSIVE LINE DOES NOT BLOCK IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO IS BACK THERE. IT CAN BE TEBOW, DIXON, TOM BRADY, or TERRY BRADSHAW OR WHOEVER.  GROTHE IS TRYING TO MAKE PLAYS THE BEST HE CAN. HE HAS NO HELP.

Archived