What's New
  • USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

All this ripping on Coach Leavitt is very uncalled for by the media

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,050
  • Days Won:  20

Why does the media have to rip Leavitt just because he was too upset to talk to the media?? He was pissed off at losing, so I dont think he wanted to display that for the world to see or read. If the media does not want to cover USF then fine, but just lay off the ragging on Coach Leavitt because he has built a heck of program at USF his way. He is not going to cave into those media types out there like Bianchi that have a personal agenda against him anyway. The reason I brought this up is that I just got done watching Todd Wright rip Leavitt on that Sunshine network show, so it is clear that Bianchi's venue is reaching a lot of media. Why dont we bring up Bowden when he refused to talk to the media after the Wake Forest loss this season?? Is he too untouchable????

• Content Count:  635
  • Days Won:  0

because it's unprofessional since every other coach will talk to the media after a big loss. makes the program look like what everyone thought it was before this season: just another small directional school.

• Content Count:  400

because it's unprofessional since every other coach will talk to the media after a big loss. makes the program look like what everyone thought it was before this season: just another small directional school.

yea, i agree that it was a bad move by CJL.  he should have manned up and faced the media.  it's easy to address the media when you're winning.

And to add to my point. These media types are acting like USF has shut out the media entirely which is not true. I recall Leavitt did his post game interview on the radio network. He also had his Tuesday press conference and allowed his players to talk to the media. What Leavitt was doing right after the UCONN loss was protecting his lockerroom because you could  see the silly questions coming that were going to be aimed at turning the team on each other. First question would have been asking why the special teams can convert. Next question would have been drop passes and penalties. Next question would have been playcalling. The point is that the USF team had its goal of winning the BIG EAST pretty much shattered, so the last thing these amature athletes need to do is anwer silly questions. They answered those same questions later in the week, so the media ripping them has it all wrong. Leavitt did not shut them out all week. I wish one of our beat writers would point that out to the rest of the media.

Once again,  you both have it wrong in that Leavitt did speak to the media. It just was not right after the game. If you were paying attention, Leavitt was quoted in MONDAY's  and Sunday's Tampa Tribune about the loss. Tells me that someone had access to Leavit that was from the media. If you guys want to side on Bianchi's side than that is fine with me. Just remember that it was Bianchi that tried to slander the USF program two years ago by calling us Renegade U.

Unprofessional???? Leavitt has fulfilled his media obligations by doing the post game interview, so how is that unprofessional?? The players dont have to talk to media because they are not professionals. I remember when the media ripped both Grothe and Moffit for not speaking to the media right after the Rutgers loss, and to me that was a cheap shot by the media. Those kids are hurt, and the last thing that they want is a camera in there face after a tough loss. So, is Bowden, Roy Williams, Bobby Knight, Bill Belichik, and all the countless other coaches that refused to speak to the media fall under the sane category??? I sure hope so because it seems like Leavitt is taking the most criticism for this.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Who has said Leavitt shut the media out all week? Nobody I've read. He had a very normal, well-attended weekly news conference on Tuesday. What Leavitt needed Saturday night was a "cooling off" period, something standard after wins and losses to allow coaches and players to collect themselves after a game. Once he'd had that (and had some conversations with other athletic staffers) he came back out and addressed the media in a far more professional manner. The way he initially handled himself and his players and assistants was not how you expect BCS programs to handle themselves after a loss, however frustrating that loss may be.

I think a lot of you guys complaining aren't familiar with what happened Saturday night, and I'll agree that many of the people who have been publicly critical of Leavitt weren't there Saturday and aren't in regular interaction with him. But to use Leavitt's postgame radio interview as a model for something he's done right, well, I imagine you didn't hear that interview then. What makes you think the questions that would have been asked of Leavitt and players would be "silly questions aimed at turning the team on each other"? I guess I'm just not sure where that comes from. And there were no national media outlets at Saturday's game, just beat writers and columnists that traveled with USF and local writers from Connecticut.

Hope this gives another perspective on this. I imagine there are some of you that will get this, and others who won't.

Thanks Greg,

That is what I thought has happened this week. Bianchi was not even at the game, yet he used his SUNSHINE network show to bash Jim Leavit. Now, Todd Wright is stating the same thing about Leavitt, so I am not too happy with that show right now. I wish USF had someone one that show that can set them all straight like Greg Auman. My point is some of the media is going out of their way to rip the USF program. After the Rutgers game, people were ripping on Leavitt's behavior which is what he has done since day one anyway. These johny come latelys really have no clue on how Leavitt build this program, so it hurts when the media flat out get it wrong.

• Content Count:  1,911

This is also not the first time this has happened. After the Rutgers loss, Leavitt spoke briefly, then the only three players that agreed to speak with the media were Trae Williams, Marcus Edwards, and one other, I can't remember who. No Grothe. No Moffitt. No one that was requested. After a win half of the team will line up for interviews. Then, the next week, same story.

• Content Count:  41

If the coach doesn't want to defend his BAD calls after the game he should not have made them!  Instead, make a good call (like, "hey, it's 2nd down and 3, how 'bout a run up the middle"), win the game, and do the press conference.  The coach can't be sour about a loss - he is responsible for any loss as he's the coach - he recruited the players and hired the assistants.  Do the press conference after the game, and if you don't like doing loosing press conferences win the game.

Archived