• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FINISH STRONG BRACELET

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I thought Jeff Wagner requested that nothing be sold with Finish Strong on it as it is something between him and the team.  He did allow the T-shirt give away at away alumni tailgates.

The Finish Strong bracelets being sold are not endorsed by USF Athletics, Jeff Wagner, or Jim Leavitt. 

The question is... are these USF Colby approved!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

I thought Jeff Wagner requested that nothing be sold with Finish Strong on it as it is something between him and the team.  He did allow the T-shirt give away at away alumni tailgates.

The Finish Strong bracelets being sold are not endorsed by USF Athletics, Jeff Wagner, or Jim Leavitt. 

Logic would say they shouldn't be.... But where's Colby?

• Content Count:  4,738

That depends...are they blue and orange?

• Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

As much as I would want a bracelet I will honor the wishes of Jeff Wagner.  The only way I would even remotely think of getting one is if all proceeds go to charity with his approval.

• Content Count:  398

I'd like to know how Bulls Outfitter got a hold of them.

Did they just decide to copy them knowing there was a market for them, not caring about the meaning behind it?

• Content Count:  282

:D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

'Finish Strong' Bracelets Being Sold

By BRETT McMURPHY, The Tampa Tribune

Published: November 3, 2007

TAMPA - An official supplier of University of South Florida merchandise is selling "Finish Strong" bracelets without the knowledge of the school or Jeff Wagner, who is battling cancer and created the "Finish Strong" slogan.

Two months ago, "Finish Strong" was printed on rubber bracelets and given to USF's football players in honor of Wagner, who is battling acute myeloid leukemia, his second bout with cancer.

Inspired by Wagner, a 1986 USF alumnus, Bulls coach Jim Leavitt asked for his permission to create the bracelets. "Finish Strong" has become a mantra of the team.

Neither Leavitt nor Wagner wanted the bracelets sold commercially, but neither Wagner nor USF has a copyright for "Finish Strong" so Bulls Outfitter, located at 1809 E. Fowler Ave., does not need permission to sell the bracelets.

This week, Bulls Outfitter started selling them for $4.99 each. None of the profits go to cancer research or to the university.

"We had a lot of people asking for them," store manager Barry Brunstein said. "They didn't originate here, so we got them in. We try to stock what people want.

"We've only had them for a few days, but they're selling very well."

Craig Brunstein, owner of Bulls Outfitter, was not available for comment Friday. Barry Brunstein said he was unaware of Jeff Wagner.

USF associate AD Bill McGillis and Wagner said they didn't know the bracelets were being sold until contacted by a Tribune reporter Friday.

"Coach Leavitt asked me if it was OK to make the bracelet and I said whatever will motivate the team," said Wagner, who started signing his name "Finish Strong" four years ago. "I'm not in it for the commercialization, I just wanted to motivate the team.

"I'm just the guy that said it, and Coach Leavitt created the bracelet."

In the past two months, Wagner said hundreds of individuals have asked where they could get a bracelet, but he told them they weren't for sale. "I'm just trying to motivate the team," Wagner said. "I don't know what to say."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/nov/03/sp-finish-strong-bracelets-being-sold/?sports-colleges-bulls

• Content Count:  1,238

'Finish Strong' Bracelets Being Sold

By BRETT McMURPHY, The Tampa Tribune

Published: November 3, 2007

TAMPA - An official supplier of University of South Florida merchandise is selling "Finish Strong" bracelets without the knowledge of the school or Jeff Wagner, who is battling cancer and created the "Finish Strong" slogan.

Two months ago, "Finish Strong" was printed on rubber bracelets and given to USF's football players in honor of Wagner, who is battling acute myeloid leukemia, his second bout with cancer.

Inspired by Wagner, a 1986 USF alumnus, Bulls coach Jim Leavitt asked for his permission to create the bracelets. "Finish Strong" has become a mantra of the team.

Neither Leavitt nor Wagner wanted the bracelets sold commercially, but neither Wagner nor USF has a copyright for "Finish Strong" so Bulls Outfitter, located at 1809 E. Fowler Ave., does not need permission to sell the bracelets.

This week, Bulls Outfitter started selling them for $4.99 each. None of the profits go to cancer research or to the university.

"We had a lot of people asking for them," store manager Barry Brunstein said. "They didn't originate here, so we got them in. We try to stock what people want.

"We've only had them for a few days, but they're selling very well."

Craig Brunstein, owner of Bulls Outfitter, was not available for comment Friday. Barry Brunstein said he was unaware of Jeff Wagner.

USF associate AD Bill McGillis and Wagner said they didn't know the bracelets were being sold until contacted by a Tribune reporter Friday.

"Coach Leavitt asked me if it was OK to make the bracelet and I said whatever will motivate the team," said Wagner, who started signing his name "Finish Strong" four years ago. "I'm not in it for the commercialization, I just wanted to motivate the team.

"I'm just the guy that said it, and Coach Leavitt created the bracelet."

In the past two months, Wagner said hundreds of individuals have asked where they could get a bracelet, but he told them they weren't for sale. "I'm just trying to motivate the team," Wagner said. "I don't know what to say."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/nov/03/sp-finish-strong-bracelets-being-sold/?sports-colleges-bulls

Thanks 79 Bull. Good read. Answers a lot of questions for folks on this board.

• Content Count:  959

At least donate something to cancer research. That is pretty foul if they are just making a buck. I like them to, but c'mon you are benefiting off someone having cancer.

Archived