• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory: "dumb call."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

Hind sight is 20/20 if it worked it would have been the greatest call of the game. Time to move on to the next game.

GO BULLS BEAT THE PUSSCATS

If he had a Tight end or WR in the flat it would have been a good call, both defenders on the edge committed to Grothe immediately

You know its very hard to concentrate on reading your post because my eyes are drawn to those huge jugs you have on your sig ;D

Yes and it is very hard to browse the forum at work because these giant things are sitting there on your screen and you have to kind of scroll and then panic and scroll away.

At work change your profile to not display signatures.  It's easy.

But some of them are funny!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

not a great playcall, but just one of many factors why we lost the game.

I think what makes it significant is that the goal line plays there kind of sum up our whole offensive problem in a nutshell.  Also the fact that it was so eerily similar to the last UCONN loss made it more significant in terms of big moments.  It's one thing to not be able to punch it in, but it's another thing to goof around and get tackled way behind the line of scrimmage and blow the game.

Anyway, just another moment in USF history.  Instead of wide left wide right we have UCONN goal line.

• Content Count:  75
  • Days Won:  0

I respect him alot more for admitting his mistake. We'll be allright, just need to beat UC. I think the real problem is our paper thin OL. If we can't run block we end up being too one-dimensional and then end up having opposing defenses going all out after the QB.  If we could just establish the run we would be really good. Let's hope this is the game.

• Content Count:  509

If he had a Tight end or WR in the flat it would have been a good call, both defenders on the edge committed to Grothe immediately

yup. both of them crashed immediately. Grothe would have had to dump it off quick tho.

kinda disheartening when your OC admits his own ineptitude.

really?  I think it's a good thing.  I'd rather have Gregory admit it was a bad call instead of insisting it was the right call to make.  people learn from their mistakes.  didn't USF total up four hundred and some yards, I wouldn't call that ineptitude on the OC's part.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

My only concern is that it sounds like this convinced him that he needs to play MORE conservative

I'm feeling nauseous

• Content Count:  134

Correct me if I'm wrong......Weren't those three plays in the wishbone formation?

When is the last time anybody has seen the wishbone work outside of high school.  Why are we changing our offense on the goal line?

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

really?  I think it's a good thing.  I'd rather have Gregory admit it was a bad call instead of insisting it was the right call to make.  people learn from their mistakes.  didn't USF total up four hundred and some yards, I wouldn't call that ineptitude on the OC's part.

yes, i'm extatic that Gregory at least acknowledges his poor play calling...

but stating publicly that it was "dumb" is kinda depressing. saying "it probably wasn't the best call in that situation" would have sufficed.

BTW- 400+ yards for our offense is great.  but if we don't convert in the red zone---in part because our playcalling inside the 10 has been horrible---the yards don't mean anything. 

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

My only concern is that it sounds like this convinced him that he needs to play MORE conservative

I'm feeling nauseous

in this case, he should have been more conservative on the goal line.  4 QB sneaks, or powering it up the middle out of the I with Kelly or Padilla would have been far better than that bootleg.

but he needs to open up the playbook to move the ball down the field.

since he's smart enough to know it was a "dumb" call (if that's not an oxymoronical statement), hopefully he'll be smart enough to realize when he needs to dig into his playbook and when he needs to go back to the bread and butter.

• Content Count:  1,757

It might have been a good call if Grothe hadn't lead the team in rushing.  It was pretty obvious they were going to watch out for the QB to keep it. 

I think the call was doubly dissapointing... I think Grothe should have called an  audible or a timeout.  We had an overload on the right side, if that formation had been a handoff, it more than likely would have gone in.  Instead that play was dead long before the ball was snapped. 

• Content Count:  2,052

Here is what he's learned.... Run a back up the middle- run Grothe in a draw play- pass for the 10-20-30 yards/ or run Grothe up the middle for first down- punt if not made or repeat process.  OOPS! that IS our offense! SORRY!!! :o

Archived