• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Inadequate Police at USF

hightechbull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  0

The situation between USF and the USFPD has gotten so bad that a State Representative has gotten involved.

http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2007/11/01/News/State.Rep.Kriseman.Concerned.For.Campus.Safety.At.Usf-3071221.shtml

What I feel is ridiculous is this quote from the article:

USF has a ratio of police officers to students lower than that of any other major four-year university in the state. Administrators and UP have been haggling over police officers' salaries since February, and over the past several weeks, media scrutiny of campus safety at USF has increased.

The administrators make obscene salaries - I am looking at you Judy Genshaft - yet they nickel and dime the UP over salaries.

Then you get a irritating column in the St Pete Times from Sue Carlton that lambastes the USF administration and at the same time ridicules the recent focus on the football team.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/31/Hillsborough/Fret_not__parents_of_.shtml

Fret not, parents of USF students

By SUE CARLTON

Published October 31, 2007

Oct. 31, 2007

Dear Parents of University of South Florida students:

First and foremost, let us here in USF administration greet you with a hearty and well-deserved: GO BULLS!

Just a quick note to keep you, the parents of our very important USF students, up to date on some exciting things happening on our Tampa campus this fall, today being Halloween. Not that there's anything scary going on around here, rest assured!

Perhaps you have heard about a recent dustup over our slimmed-down university police force.

You may have heard that low pay has been sending officers scurrying off to better-paying, better-benefits city and county police departments.

Maybe you have heard that at times there are as few as four officers working on campus.

Maybe you have also heard that our officer-to-student ratio has fallen to one for every 939 students, compared with one per 564 students at the University of Florida and one per 664 at Florida State University. (Oh, but did you hear anything about the Gators or 'Noles hitting No. 2 this season on the football field? Don't think so!)

Maybe you even saw news coverage of dozens of students staging an on-campus protest over the police situation. (It's always nice to see our youngsters so involved, so spirited, isn't it? Though wouldn't those news photos have been even better if everyone had been wearing green-and-gold BULLS jerseys? Christmas is coming, parents!)

Never let it be said that we here in USF administration are unresponsive. In fact, we've been making plans for a fix since the shooting tragedy at Virginia Tech.

So the big news is this: We are in the process of bringing in private, unarmed security officers who do not have arrest powers to make things safer at school.

Some naysayers have called this a Band-Aid.

And there are those who would prefer strengthening morale and integrity by beefing up the actual existing university police with sworn officers. There are those who believe that the cost of real safety is well worth paying.

But, really, what's the purpose of college if you don't learn a little about priorities, and the way the world really works?

At least all this has distracted folks from that ugly and unfair "Jihad University" label we don't find the least bit amusing around here.

Just when professor Sami Al-Arian (or ex-professor Al-Arian, as we prefer to think of him) was becoming a memory, we get those two young men facing federal explosives charges, and headlines like, "Father: USF student no terrorist."

Did we mention that they aren't even technically, really, in actuality, USF students, since they have been suspended and aren't enrolled this fall? We try to mention that.

And we certainly prefer "Research U" to "Jihad U," don't you?

So in closing, USF parents, we want you to rest assured that here at the University of South Florida, we have our priorities in order and your children's best interests at heart.

And did we mention, GO BULLS?

Sincerely,

USF Administration

The lack of focus on the USF PD and the hardline stance the USF administration has taken on police salaries started way before the current success of the USF football team.  Discussing the football team and the impasse between the USF PD and the USF administration is not helping matters, and is moving the focus away from the real problem.

The USF administration needs to fix this problem ASAP.  Maybe they should stop lobbying to get themselves another six figure raise for themselves and find a way to properly fund the police department.  The university already had a shooting death of a non-student on campus early this year, and had a rash of burglaries on campus.

Does the University need the violent death of a student on campus before they will take this situation seriously?

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Would be the end of Judy's career if something awful happened on campus, regardless if the lack of police contributed or not

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,374
  • Days Won:  13

The situation between USF and the USFPD has gotten so bad that a State Representative has gotten involved.

http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2007/11/01/News/State.Rep.Kriseman.Concerned.For.Campus.Safety.At.Usf-3071221.shtml

What I feel is ridiculous is this quote from the article:

USF has a ratio of police officers to students lower than that of any other major four-year university in the state. Administrators and UP have been haggling over police officers' salaries since February, and over the past several weeks, media scrutiny of campus safety at USF has increased.

The administrators make obscene salaries - I am looking at you Judy Genshaft - yet they nickel and dime the UP over salaries.

Then you get a irritating column in the St Pete Times from Sue Carlton that lambastes the USF administration and at the same time ridicules the recent focus on the football team.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/31/Hillsborough/Fret_not__parents_of_.shtml

Fret not, parents of USF students

By SUE CARLTON

Published October 31, 2007

Oct. 31, 2007

Dear Parents of University of South Florida students:

First and foremost, let us here in USF administration greet you with a hearty and well-deserved: GO BULLS!

Just a quick note to keep you, the parents of our very important USF students, up to date on some exciting things happening on our Tampa campus this fall, today being Halloween. Not that there's anything scary going on around here, rest assured!

Perhaps you have heard about a recent dustup over our slimmed-down university police force.

You may have heard that low pay has been sending officers scurrying off to better-paying, better-benefits city and county police departments.

Maybe you have heard that at times there are as few as four officers working on campus.

Maybe you have also heard that our officer-to-student ratio has fallen to one for every 939 students, compared with one per 564 students at the University of Florida and one per 664 at Florida State University. (Oh, but did you hear anything about the Gators or 'Noles hitting No. 2 this season on the football field? Don't think so!)

Maybe you even saw news coverage of dozens of students staging an on-campus protest over the police situation. (It's always nice to see our youngsters so involved, so spirited, isn't it? Though wouldn't those news photos have been even better if everyone had been wearing green-and-gold BULLS jerseys? Christmas is coming, parents!)

Never let it be said that we here in USF administration are unresponsive. In fact, we've been making plans for a fix since the shooting tragedy at Virginia Tech.

So the big news is this: We are in the process of bringing in private, unarmed security officers who do not have arrest powers to make things safer at school.

Some naysayers have called this a Band-Aid.

And there are those who would prefer strengthening morale and integrity by beefing up the actual existing university police with sworn officers. There are those who believe that the cost of real safety is well worth paying.

But, really, what's the purpose of college if you don't learn a little about priorities, and the way the world really works?

At least all this has distracted folks from that ugly and unfair "Jihad University" label we don't find the least bit amusing around here.

Just when professor Sami Al-Arian (or ex-professor Al-Arian, as we prefer to think of him) was becoming a memory, we get those two young men facing federal explosives charges, and headlines like, "Father: USF student no terrorist."

Did we mention that they aren't even technically, really, in actuality, USF students, since they have been suspended and aren't enrolled this fall? We try to mention that.

And we certainly prefer "Research U" to "Jihad U," don't you?

So in closing, USF parents, we want you to rest assured that here at the University of South Florida, we have our priorities in order and your children's best interests at heart.

And did we mention, GO BULLS?

Sincerely,

USF Administration

The lack of focus on the USF PD and the hardline stance the USF administration has taken on police salaries started way before the current success of the USF football team.  Discussing the football team and the impasse between the USF PD and the USF administration is not helping matters, and is moving the focus away from the real problem.

The USF administration needs to fix this problem ASAP.  Maybe they should stop lobbying to get themselves another six figure raise for themselves and find a way to properly fund the police department.  The university already had a shooting death of a non-student on campus early this year, and had a rash of burglaries on campus.

Does the University need the violent death of a student on campus before they will take this situation seriously?

You do know that is not a real letter sent out by the Administration right?

• Content Count:  552
  • Days Won:  0

the police situation on campus is awful. I almost got t-boned and honked my horn, the car then decided to follow me up 50th and keep trying to rear end me, I called 911 who transfered me to USF PD, who put me on hold- then asked was I sure I didn't cut them off and I wasn't the one driving like an idiot. Then by the time USF PD got there I was already out of my car in a parking lot with friends, and the car just left (when they saw my friends in the parking lot) by the dorms since it took so long for them to get there.

Someone is seriously going to get hurt with the lack of police on campus.

Archived