• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: Where did everybody go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

Where did everybody go?

By: Joe Rienzi, Columnist

Posted: 11/1/07

I was walking the other day, alone and, to be honest, a little bit afraid. I mean, who wouldn't be? In all fairness to me, it was Halloween. As I approached my desired destination - the USF Sun Dome - I heard nothing but the sound of my footsteps, and the sound of me gasping for air, since I power-walked across campus to get my ticket for the Bulls' Homecoming game against Cincinnati.

However, what I saw at the ticket window was so shocking - and somewhat unbelievable - that I had to do a double take. There was no line to get tickets.

My story seems to be a reality for many students, who over the last week and a half have found that tickets for the Bulls' Homecoming game were available. I remember hearing that tickets had become available on the night of Thursday, Oct. 25 and I was mortified. I thought that I was sure to be sitting in section 3-0-something, with two alumni from the class of 1968 to my left and a small, screaming toddler to my right. However, my spirits were rejuvenated when I was not only able to get a ticket, but one in the lower bowl of Raymond James Stadium.

Apparently, people have begun to do what was an unthinkable crime just two weeks ago. They have begun jumping off the Bulls' bandwagon, on a national, state, and even campus level.

It's true and it's unfortunate. The buzz surrounding not only the football team, but the entire USF campus, has been all but silenced. Two weeks ago, people were selling their textbooks to have money to head to New Orleans for the Bowl Championship Series National Championship game. Now, after two close losses in the Big East to Connecticut and Rutgers, it seems people have lost hope.

Students and fans alike were paying top dollar for companion tickets. Because the team was

6-0 and filling the 65,657 seats of Raymond James, students were allowed only one companion ticket. That was if the student remembered not to sleep for a day and a half prior to the game in order to make sure they were in line at the crack of dawn. For the Homecoming game, students are allowed to purchase up to three companion tickets, and they will likely be in the student section.

Around the country, USF is fading from the headlines. The Bulls had been the Cinderella story of the season after jumping up to No. 2 in the season's first BCS rankings. Now, after two straight losses, people are jumping ship at an alarming rate. People are leaving USF dead in the water, even though they are still No. 18 in the BCS. The Bulls have been pushed out of the spotlight by another Big East team having a fairy tale season - The Connecticut Huskies, whose season parallels the highs from which USF fell just two weeks ago.

The crazy thing is, the Bulls are still having the best season of their existence - despite dropping the last two games. USF is still on pace to have their first 10-win season since joining the Big East conference. And technically, the Bulls still have an outside shot at winning their conference. If USF wins their remaining four games, Connecticut loses three times in the next four weeks, and Rutgers and West Virginia lose one game each, USF could head to the Orange Bowl. The bandwagon fans are already wearing the scarlet and gold of Ohio State. Some diehard USF fans point to the Colorado Rockies as an example of never giving up (the Rockies won 21 of their last 22 games to make the World Series).

With so much accomplished this season, as well as so much that could be accomplished, it seems crazy for fans to quit after two losses. Any Division 1-A school would love a 10-win season, but since USF was ranked No.2, that's just not good enough for some people. As for the players, they would rather have actual fans in the stands rather than people who will be jumping ship after a rough spot.

"(Bandwagon fans) weren't with us in the first place, so that's fine if they want to jump off the bandwagon," sophomore defensive end George Selvie said. "We're still going to go out and play football, and we could still have a great season. If they want to jump off already, I feel sorry for them."

<A HREF="http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2007/11/01/Sports/Where.Did.Everybody.Go-3071266.shtml">Link</A>

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,002
  • Days Won:  38

Lame.  I still think the attendance is going to be good for the last two games though.

• Content Count:  4,738

Lame.  I still think the attendance is going to be good for the last two games though.

Pretty sad statement on current students that they cant handle a loss.  with 40k + you would think there would be 12 k going to the games.

• Content Count:  651

I'm sorry but screw those people who jump off! The sad part will be them jumping back on WHEN we win our last 4 games!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

Let's face it.  You have to understand the national attention fading.  We really aren't deserving right now.  A win Saturday and that changes.  But locally, I am a little upset that people are abandoning the ship.  We have 2 crucial home games and the team still deserves the support, if for no other reason than to thank them for the great high and all the national attention brought to the school and area.

• Content Count:  4,738

I'm sorry but screw those people who jump off! The sad part will be them jumping back on WHEN we win our last 4 games!!!

...Even more proof they HAVE to institute some kind of weighted or points system to put true student-fans to the front of the line. 

• Content Count:  7,890

I have no clue what he is talking about I was at the sun dome yesterday around 5:30 and there was a line about 20 or so students all waiting for tickets and another line with students that already got their tickets who were waiting for tickets to the Show for tonight.

• Content Count:  1,238

It's only news because it's new to the Bulls. It's the same thing everywhere involving everything from sports to politics. It's the wait and see mentality. Nothing new. How many people are now Boston fans? How many became fans of the Bucs the year they went to the Super Bowl? The year the Lightning won the Stanley Cup everyone became a hockey fan.

Nothing new, people love a winner. That's the difference between a fan of a team or a fan of a winning team. One is along for the ride, the other jumps on board near the destination.

Remember when the Bucs could not get a starving man to eat a steak but still were the biggest money making machine in the NFL. People from all over the world,yes I said world, were buying up their mechandise and this was before going to the SB.

I welcome bandwagon fans, they serve a purpose, for their $$$ and their butts in a seat, which also means more $$$. Some may eventually convert over and some who have been on board since the beginning may jump ship.

Time and wins will only tell. So welcome one and all.

• Content Count:  1,757

Any word on how many student tickets have been given out?  

• Content Count:  2,461

I heard 8,000 student tickets were gone.

I would also like to point out that I announced previously the students would be the first to jump off the bandwagon.

/sorry

//I just had to say it.

Archived