• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Coach Stands By Kicker

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

We used to have good kickers a whike ago..

The last one I'd consider 'good' is Bill Gramatica.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,523

Another poster his it on the head.  The 3rd down plays are playing for FGs!!!!  Which is assenine when you think we suck at hitting them!  We can't become a 2 down team by running to the center of the field every time we think we'll have to go for a FG, so might as well become a 4th down team and call the plays accordingly.    If it's 4th and less than 5, GO FOR IT regardless of where it is.  If more than that, if straight on, kick it, if not, punt or go for it.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Quote on gregs blog from random nameless fan says that Morgan Riley will be kicking this weekend? Can anyone verify?

• Content Count:  1,238

1st..."USF Coach Stands By Kicker"

What else do you expect from a good coach when speaking to the media?  :-X

What goes on behind closed doors is another matter.  :chair

2nd...No one's asked this question, so I will. Can our kicker run or throw? Because if he can, then maybe CJL should teach him some of those fake plays that rU used on us. After a while teams will get used that and then we could just forgo kicking all together.

I can see it now the only football team to never kick again  :o. The Bulls will make history. I see the future, "Kicking Outlawed" in football. That will be our new tradition that everyone keeps asking for. Forget the flamingos, forget the songs and the GREEN outs but remember who had kicking banned from football.  :'(

Even better, we should have Grothe be QB, RB, Kicker, Punt Returner and official team Hairstylist.  ;D

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

USF Coach Stands By Kicker

By GREGG BECNEL of the Tampa Tribune

Published: October 30, 2007

TAMPA – Despite Delbert Alvarado's season-long struggles with inconsistency, University of South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said today he will continue to rely on the sophomore placekicker out of Robinson High.

"We've had some difficulty with the kicking," Leavitt said. "When [Delbert] gets focused, he's a very good kicker, and everybody sees that. He really needs to finish and kick well in the month of November. I trust him the most of everybody."

Alvarado, who is 11-for-20 in field-goal attempts this season, says he hasn't lost confidence in himself.

"As a kicker, you have to have a short memory," he said. "Whether you're doing great or you're struggling, you have to forget the last kick and look forward to the next one. I can be 0-for-6 in a game and that seventh one, you better believe I'm going to go in there knowing I can make it."

Leavitt also said in his news conference he wasn't sure when wide receiver Amarri Jackson (knee) and running back Mike Ford (ribs) would be able to play.

"Amarri, we don't know yet for sure," Leavitt said. "We had an MRI [today] on it and haven't gotten the results back. Mike is going to be interesting. I don't know. It kind of depends on Mike a little bit. That's going to be at the end of the week that we'll end up knowing with Mike."

Leavitt said poor tackling has been a big reason No. 20 USF has dropped consecutive games after starting 6-0 and being ranked No. 2.

"Our tackling on defense has to get better," he said. "We were a tremendous tackling team for the first number of games and that has not been as good [recently], and that's hurt us."

A few weeks ago, Saturday's game against Cincinnati had the makings of a huge matchup of undefeated teams with ESPN's College Gameday crew possibly setting up shop outside Raymond James Stadium.

But with both teams carrying two-game losing streaks, the importance of this game takes on a completely different meaning. The loser is eliminated from the Big East title race, while the winner will remain alive, though still needing plenty of help to win the conference.

"This game is as big as they come," Leavitt said. "There isn't any doubt about it. It is a huge game."

\

leavitt is foolish and wrong on this one

the kid has a huge leg, but lacks skill...IMO

there are thousands with big legs but no skill

if leavitt allows alvarado to try field goals usf will continue to lose

I'm losing more confidence in CJL as the weeks go by.  If we know that Delbert can't make a field goal (and we know he can't) you have to go for it on 4th down!  Delbert is 50% for the year - that can't be any worse that if we go for it on 4th down.  Delbert has made 11 more field goals than my python Clyde, and Clyde doesn't have any feet!  Maybe it would be best if he put the rap career aside for a minute and concentrated on kicking.

cl has been known to make bonehead moves in past

sticking with this kicker is a joke

usf should go for it every time on other teams half of field

the punter always kicks it in endzone

Tripple B how do you still defend DA? He should stick to the rap game, and stay off the football field.

I'm thickheaded. I'm noit saying he's an All-American but we didn't lose these last two games because of Alvarado. He's not kicking lights out but he is making more than he's missing, albeit just barely ......... and, still sounding like a broken record, I've got respect for him because he kicked THE most clutch field goal in our short history.

alvarado sucks and should do usf a  favor a quit

• Content Count:  1,633

Tripple B how do you still defend DA? He should stick to the rap game, and stay off the football field.

I'm thickheaded. I'm noit saying he's an All-American but we didn't lose these last two games because of Alvarado. He's not kicking lights out but he is making more than he's missing, albeit just barely ......... and, still sounding like a broken record, I've got respect for him because he kicked THE most clutch field goal in our short history.

Thats the smazza we all know and love....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Thats the smazza we all know and love....

Seriously, I teared up a bit reading those ....

Archived