• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF Coach Stands By Kicker

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  154
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with Coach about Alvarado's potential. Whenever the kid does make a FG, it is usually spot-on and right down the middle. The big problem I have is when his missed kicks start losing us games. If he had made the two that he missed at UConn, the score would have been 22-21. He then could have kicked another FG at the end of the game after Grothe got sacked, and that would have been the game. I know you shouldn't say "Well in hindsight we could've won" like I'm saying, but you really have to take into account whether his mistakes are costing us games. He had two costly errors last week.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I agree with Coach about Alvarado's potential. Whenever the kid does make a FG, it is usually spot-on and right down the middle. The big problem I have is when his missed kicks start losing us games. If he had made the two that he missed at UConn, the score would have been 22-21. He then could have kicked another FG at the end of the game after Grothe got sacked, and that would have been the game. I know you shouldn't say "Well in hindsight we could've won" like I'm saying, but you really have to take into account whether his mistakes are costing us games. He had two costly errors last week.

And if Cedric Hill catches the ball that hits him in the numbers, Alvarado only needs to make 1 of those 3 to win the game for us.

The kid's inconsistent, but there were plenty of other people who could have stepped up and made a play and didn't.

• Content Count:  206

Not to keep kicking a guy while he's down and I've mentioned this before..........but he's not very good at pinning the ball inside the 20 either, he can't angle ball to either side. So when we're punting from their 40, he just booms it high and it carries into the endzone.......sorry I know he's just the punter and filling in as PK (but this addressed his punting skills) and yeah, yeah before you pile on me about him being a kid blah, blah. I'm sorry no matter what you say until this kid starts making FG's with some consistency and stops potentially costing us games........I can't believe he's our best option. Go for it on 4th!!!!!

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Not to keep kicking a guy while he's down and I've mentioned this before..........but he's not very good at pinning the ball inside the 20 either, he can't angle ball to either side. So when we're punting from their 40, he just booms it high and it carries into the endzone.......sorry I know he's just the punter and filling in as PK (but this addressed his punting skills) and yeah, yeah before you pile on me about him being a kid blah, blah. I'm sorry no matter what you say until this kid starts making FG's with some consistency and stops potentially costing us games........I can't believe he's our best option. Go for it on 4th!!!!!

I don't really agree with that. He has had some great punts this year. Every punter is going to have some issues with touchbacks, but we have downed several punts inside the 5 this season. I would say it is more of a coaching strategy than his fault. I don't think he has been told to angle it because typically, you are looking at something around the 10 (better than a touchback), but it seems that the coaches want more.

You have to remember that the wind was blowing 10-15 mph in two of our last 4 games as well. I think Delbert has done really well punting. Monster kick against WVU could have been the difference in that game at the end.

• Content Count:  936

This may be my ignorance.. but why can't Teachey kick?

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

If you can answer that you will win the Nobel prize my friend

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

wasnt Teachey just as accurate as Mike Benzer at placekicking?

• Content Count:  1,260

If you can answer that you will win the Nobel prize my friend

But if that question is too hard, you can always just invent the internet....  ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

Not to keep kicking a guy while he's down and I've mentioned this before..........but he's not very good at pinning the ball inside the 20 either, he can't angle ball to either side. So when we're punting from their 40, he just booms it high and it carries into the endzone.......

He's had 10 inside the 20 and 6 fair catches compared to 8 touchbacks .....

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

the kid has a huge leg, but lacks skill...IMO

Archived