• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Grothe comments

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

Note sure if this has been touched on another thread or not but how many of you get sick and tired of hearing people say that Matt is a "poor man's Tim Tebow"??  What the "f" is up with that...that is such a slap in the face.  Why can't they just say he is a gifted athlete with several intangibles but doesn't quite have the size, arm strength, etc. of some other of highly touted QB's? 

I just don't get it....

Herbstreit said it a few weeks ago after someone during the WVU game said it.  Now it seems like everyone says it on ESPN.  They must give those guys notes and one of the notes says to call Matt a "poor man's Tim Tebow".  I say screw Tim Teabag.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

Note sure if this has been touched on another thread or not but how many of you get sick and tired of hearing people say that Matt is a "poor man's Tim Tebow"??  What the "f" is up with that...that is such a slap in the face.  Why can't they just say he is a gifted athlete with several intangibles but doesn't quite have the size, arm strength, etc. of some other of highly touted QB's? 

I just don't get it....

Herbstreit said it a few weeks ago after someone during the WVU game said it.  Now it seems like everyone says it on ESPN.  They must give those guys notes and one of the notes says to call Matt a "poor man's Tim Tebow".  I say screw Tim Teabag.

i agree.  i heard herbstreit say that this past saturday on gameday when he and corso were making their picks.  i hate that.

• Content Count:  936

Herbstreit needs his clock cleaned. Such an arrogant *****.

• Content Count:  7,890

Herbstreit needs his clock cleaned. Such an arrogant *****.

I think he had it cleaned one to many times. That is the only way you can understand some of his comments.

• Content Count:  20,940
  • Days Won:  38

It's a very stupid thing to say and I have now heard it more than once from different ESPN guys.

• Content Count:  1,867

Somebody at the UCONN game called Grothe a "Poor mans Joe Montana"... There are worse people out there to be associated with...

Nation

• Content Count:  292

Somebody at the UCONN game called Grothe a "Poor mans Joe Montana"... There are worse people out there to be associated with...

Nation

I agree...but you just don't hear commentators saying "he is a poor man's _____" at all about any other college players. 

From Wikipeidia:

Poor man's is a common slang term used to compare one thing with another. It is not necessarily a derogatory term. It is usually used in a sentence as "X is a poor man's Y", with "X" being the person or thing one is referring to, and "Y" being the superior but similar person or thing. This phrase indicates that a person would only choose the first option if he or she did not have the money to choose the second one. Thus, it is a fallback option.

It is used a lot in sports, with a common example being "Kobe Bryant is a poor man's Michael Jordan."

Still haven't heard it used often and sounds more derogatory than not.

• Content Count:  635

i said it about a year ago, i still agree with it. Tebow is the bigger name, more handsome, more marketable player playing on a much bigger team, and their playing styles are similiar.

the "poor man's Tebow" sentiment is generally just used to give the national audience an idea as to what kind of player he is. it's not a slap-in-the-face at all, since just about everyone feels Tebow is awesome and a Heisman candidate and eventual top 5 pick in the NFL draft and all that.

but naturally, some dumb USF fans take it the wrong way. shocking!

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I take it as a compliment.

You guys need some thicker skin.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Archived