• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gator Bowl vs. Sun Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

What is the difference in selection?  Does the BE only get either one or the other?

Haven't we shown that we travel well enough (especially in the state of Florida)?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay.

Here is how it works.  ("Big East" in this case includes Notre Dame).

The Gator Bowl and Sun Bowl agreed to each take a Big 12 or a Big East team twice between the 2006-2007 season (last year) and the 2009-2010 season (a four year contract).

The Gator Bowl decides whether they take a Big East team or a Big 12 team.  Last yearn the Gator Bowl took a Big East team.  That means they only get a Big East team one more time in the next three years.

The Gator Bowl also has an option of selecting first (after the BCS) in the Big 12 one of the two years it takes a Big 12 team (ahead of the Cotton Bowl).  The other year, the Gator Bowl selects fourth.

The Sun Bowl then waits for the Gator Bowl.  If the Gator Bowl takes a Big 12 team, the Sun Bowl has the 1st selection in the Big East (after the BCS).  Otherwise, the Sun Bowl has the fourth selection in the Big 12.

I hope this is helpful.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Not sure about all that, but I would be cool with either one.

I'd almost like to do the Sun Bowl just so I can see a new city (El Paso).

• Content Count:  7,890

so looks like the Gator is going to take a Big 12 team this year and the Sun is going to take a BE team this year

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think the Gator takes a Big 12 team this year.  If Notre Dame was available they would take them.  They will wait until they absolutely have to take a Big East team.

• Content Count:  7,890

^ they already did take a BE team last year

• Content Count:  1,757

If USF can keep home attendance over 50K for the last 2 games, then the Gator would be absolutely STUPID to pass us over (assuming we win out).  USF would draw about 10K more than almost any Big 12 team for attendance.  There is a big difference (especially in cost) that time of year between a 4 hour drive and a 6-8 hour flight. 

• Content Count:  145

Gator Bowl would be easier for travel for the masses I would think.  But me being selfish and living in the area, outside of them being in a more prestige Bowl...it would be nice for me to leave the house and be at the game in a 1/2 hour.

I agree with Sanjay and Bullfreak... the Gator Bowl will be taking a Big 12 team... and they may exercise their "1st pick" option this year to take Texas (if Oklahoma and Kansas/Missouri winner both get BCS bids).

A Texas - Virginia Tech matchup might have the Jacksonville people salivating... imagine the stories involving the two schools with the most famous college shootings... the tribute's possible would make for a good storyline.

• Content Count:  695

I want the Bulls to make the Gator Bowl but you guys keep convincing me it likely wont happen so I guess i've got to start looking at hotels in El Paso.

Archived