• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The positives to us losing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,003
  • Days Won:  38

We didn't lose fans, because a true fan is going to stay with the team.

True, maybe the term should be "butts in seats" not fans.  Like maybe we lost some butts in seats but we definitely gained more fans in the long run.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Just so I understand, losing is good so only diehards show up to games?

Colby, I have to tell you, it was more fun at the last few games with the building full, the place sold out and hopping (even with the freaking wave) than it was in 2004 hosting Pitt, as me and 20,000 "diehards" watched us get our asses handed to us.  

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Hockey does rule though.

It does, for me college football, pro hockey, and pro baseball are my top 3 sports. College basketball has been growing on me though.

• Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

Colby, I have to tell you, it was more fun at the last few games with the building full, the place sold out and hopping (even with the freaking wave) than it was in 2004 hosting Pitt, as me and 20,000 "diehards" watched us get our asses handed to us.  

Amen.  I'll second that.

• Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

I would rather have 40,000 educated fans in the stands instead of having Ray Jay sold out with 20,000 or so band wagoners who don't know what a football is.

On one of the first day's of math class a girl asked this diehard USF fan who had a shirt with a bunch of USF autographs across it why he was so proud of a signature he had on the chest portion of his shirt. He said that it was Matt Grothe's signature, she asked who Matt Grothe was. However; about 2 weeks later when USF was in the top 10 she was the biggest USF fan. Oh, and by the way; since the loss to Rutgers she has not spoken a single word about USF football.

I am sorry but people like that **** me off, and I don't wish for them to be fans of my football team. Obviously if we ever win a title i'll have to deal with those fans but that doesn't mean i'm ever going to appreciate them or like them. Obviously I want our team to win, and if we win i'll just have to deal with the people who come along to ride because it is the flavor of the week. If we lose though, at least I don't have to deal with the posers for a while.

last time i checked, these extra 20,000 bandwagon fans that have been showing up to our games contribute money to our program thru ticket sales, merch, etc.  not to mention it looks better to bowl comittees when we actually have fans in the stand.  like, i know youre the original bulls football fan and everything, but my brain seriously hurt whenever i read this.  having all these extra seats filled by these so called bandwagoners makes me no les of a fan, or anymore of a bandwagon fan.  the more in the stands, the merrier.  $$$$$$$.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

Is that finally the bandwagon is going away.

I know technically we are losing fans, and the attendance numbers may not look as good for this next game. However I personally want fans who are going to stay with the team through thick and thin, not these fairweather ******** who were all over the football team when they were 6-0 but now don't care. I can't tell you how many facebook friends have left the Grothe>Tebow group since Saturday, probably like 30.

That is what I hate about our society, people cling to what is cool act like it is the greatest thing ever and then 2 weeks later it's like that thing never existed. How can people be satisfied with their existence when they never truly like something, just pretend to because it's the flavor of the week? Tons on Red Sox fans came out of the closet over the past month too, where were they in September when the Yankees were closing in fast, huh? Where were they last Ocober when the Sox weren't even playing in the playoffs?

Anyway, feel free to call me a Gators fan or say i'm an idiot for being happy that we're losing fans or whatever you guys want to say.

Just a sidenote: I am not happy that we are losing.

This does remind me that you're the one that was the Lightining fan right up until they got good and won the Cup. You then stopped rooting for them because of all the bandwagoners ....   ::)

You ARE entertaining, Colby....     ;)

• Content Count:  695

Is that finally the bandwagon is going away.

I know technically we are losing fans, and the attendance numbers may not look as good for this next game. However I personally want fans who are going to stay with the team through thick and thin, not these fairweather ******** who were all over the football team when they were 6-0 but now don't care. I can't tell you how many facebook friends have left the Grothe>Tebow group since Saturday, probably like 30.

That is what I hate about our society, people cling to what is cool act like it is the greatest thing ever and then 2 weeks later it's like that thing never existed. How can people be satisfied with their existence when they never truly like something, just pretend to because it's the flavor of the week? Tons on Red Sox fans came out of the closet over the past month too, where were they in September when the Yankees were closing in fast, huh? Where were they last Ocober when the Sox weren't even playing in the playoffs?

Anyway, feel free to call me a Gators fan or say i'm an idiot for being happy that we're losing fans or whatever you guys want to say.

Just a sidenote: I am not happy that we are losing.

This does remind me that you're the one that was the Lightining fan right up until they got good and won the Cup. You then stopped rooting for them because of all the bandwagoners ....  ::)

You ARE entertaining, Colby....    ;)

Because they didn't cooperate with me, I could get tickets and I was pissed. Part of it was the lockout, that gave me a whole year to sit there and be angry and when hockey came back the last thing I wanted to do was cheer for the Lightning. Besides I was already a Panthers and Ducks fan, so I just dumped the Lightning. I was going to games when they were not even filling half the stands, yet the Lightning become good and i'm left in the cold. It's ********, but whenever I consider becoming a Lightning fan again I just remember that.

If the same thing happened with USF I don't think i'd quit being a USF fan. I basically have the teams I like now, i'm not going to stop liking a team for a reason that stupid but I was younger then and let something like that devastate me. I considered myself one of the reasons they were able to build that team because I (well the people buying the tickets/taking me) was buying tickets to games, buying food at games, paying for parking. I contributed a good deal of money to the Lightning, and to thank me they give their tickets to wealthy business owners, season ticket holders, and bandwagoners who wanted to spend their life savings on a ticket. You would have been upset too, especially if you were 14 at the time.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'm thinking of becoming the Hitler of USF football...

:nope :nope :nope :nope :nope :nope :nope :nope :nope :nope :nope

Colby, Colby, Colby....

• Content Count:  1,165

Why is there always a thread about "the positives of us losing"?  In this one, the reason is absolutely ridiculous.  Hey we lost, but it's alright, we lost fans.....yea, that's terrific...

We didn't lose fans, because a true fan is going to stay with the team.

I'm a Devil Rays fan, the Rays have probably lost more games in the 11 years they've been around than the Yankees have in their 100+ years but i'm still a fan and when they finally win a world title i'll be able to say i've been there since the beginning.

I'm also not happy we lost, I am pretty sure I worded my post right but you guys are just going to take what you want from my post and if your going to take that i'm happy we lost, and i'm happy when we lose fans, fine take it that way.

We didn't lose fans, but we lost the ability to turn those bandwagon fans into true fans. Nobody knows exactly how much this hurt us, both in the short-term and long-term, but every little bit counts, so I'd rather not lose any potential fans

• Content Count:  2,523

Colby is young and missing the big picture.  Everyone starts out as a bandwagon fan and slowly grows just as you plant a garden and then watch it grow.  Hopefully this year planted a bunch of seed and a number of them will flourish and lead to more Bulls in the future.  As young as we are and with as small as our "giving" alumni base is; we need every $$$ possible.

I'd rather have one "bandwagon" fan donate $4 million to the program than 100 die hards who don't donate crap!  If you want the top recruits and top results on the field, it takes MONEY to get it all here.  And MONEY does not discriminate where it comes from.

You want a top 10 team?  You need to start recruiting more bandwagon fans and get them hooked.  Bc one day, they might be that multi millionaire who remembers their first time and drops a few million to go get that next coach, or dining hall etc.

Think big picture...

Archived