• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

how about we talk about our upcoming game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

what do we need to do differntly than last yr?

from what i recall they shut us down on offense.

i remember it being a low scoring game.

they have a good qb who we have never faced before.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,238

Do we have a definit time already? Or is it still up in there?

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Do we have a definit time already? Or is it still up in there?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,594
  • Days Won:  6

I'm drawing a blank.  Can someone please provide a brief game summary of what happened with Cincy last year?

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

what do we need to do differntly than last yr?

from what i recall they shut us down on offense.

i remember it being a low scoring game.

they have a good qb who we have never faced before.

I think they need to go into this game with vengeance and a retribution on their mind.  This is their chance to finally get back on the winning track and I think they need to take the past two weeks out on Cincy.  Will it happen, who knows?  I thought they would do that against UConn the first half but they were worked by the more passionate (a controlled passion) team.  I think the coaches need to pull anyone who is not giving them 100%, as well.  If they're seniors and not giving 100%, bench em ..... the team comes before the individual.  Oh, and the OC needs to get creative because the last two teams have made us totally one dimensional and beatable  ---  spy MG, take him down when he runs, or break on a ball when he telegraphs his passes and a win is in the bag.  The defense needs to get back to early season form and start making run stops - please stop coasting on defense (arm tackles/bumping) and please stop the off tackle run nightmare.

Cincy lost both games (Louisville and Pitt) because they turned the ball over late in both games.  The Pitt game was really a failure of the defense too because they allowed two backs to go over 100 yards each.  If we had a better run offense, I would say that is where we should attack them.  If we can somehow get a dual back set with some running attack, it might work but I won't hold my breath. In the Louisville game, the Cards were able to stop Mauk on a bunch of plays and Cincy shot themselves in the foot with some late turnovers.  It was the last two minutes that killed them since they were in it till the end.  Both consecutive losses for them and we have our own , so I see both teams coming into this game via similar situations and both with a chip, but the one that executes the best should win. That means the coaches must come through and make sure that our guys have been coached on fundamentals and that they have a game plan to win.  Mauk has better numbers than Grothe and is their field captain as well on offense.  I guarantee you they are reviewing the Rutger and Uconn games and will have a plan to take advantage or our now glaring shortfalls.  I believe they have as good a secondary as we do but Brohm lit them up based upon his shear pure passing abilities - MG isn't there yet and Louisville's line is much better than ours at pass protection and gave Brohm the time to wait for the downfield plays to develop.

Oh, they are now healthy having gone through a bye week.  This game will take everything our guys have to win but we should win none the less, just like our previous two.  I certainly hope that our defense is back to early season form for this one.

Name        G ATT COM PCT YDS YDS/ATT YDS/G  INT TD

Ben Mauk    7 194 123 63.4 1595    8.2      227.9  5    15

Matt Grothe 8 235 134 57.0 1557    6.6      194.6  6    8

• Content Count:  2,118

hopefully our boys show up and run over the bearcats.

Sound familiar???

Bearcats being badly hurt by penalties

By Josh Katzowitz

Post staff reporter

Already, the University of Cincinnati had committed the highest number of penalties in the Big East, averaging more than nine infractions and 77 yards per game before the Oct. 20 loss to Pittsburgh. That's not good.

What happened vs. the Panthers was even worse. The Bearcats went penalty-crazy again and, in part, rode those miscues to another disheartening loss.

After the Oct. 13 Louisville game, in which UC committed 11 penalties for 85 yards, UC coach Brian Kelly talked about the need to end those mistakes and said that the Bearcats would work harder on keeping those miscues in check.

Against the Panthers, the sloppy play got even worse. The center committed three false starts, receiver Marty Gilyard committed two more and officials flagged UC for a number of personal foul penalties. The Bearcats were called for 12 infractions that cost them 98 yards.

Once again, Kelly last week talked about the need to improve those numbers.

"It's hard to take one penalty and say, 'OK, what happened here?' " Kelly said. "We're struggling in our no-huddle with shotgun snapping. We had three fouls there. We had two where we couldn't get a guy lined up. We had two where Ben Mauk was scrambling, and we had a lineman down field. That's seven of your penalties."

Plus, there was a late-hit penalty assessed on safety Anthony Williams, an unnecessary roughness call and a 15-yard personal facemask foul on cornerback Mike Mickens, and two false-start penalties by Gilyard, who lost his starting job in part because of those mistakes.

It's simply not disciplined football, junior linebacker Corey Smith said.

"That goes back to that margin of error," Smith said. "If you look at the beginning of the season, those errors were slim to none. Now, they seem to be increasing. That gap is just widening. That goes back to our discipline."

The offense isn't immune either. Junior guard Trevor Canfield twice was called for being an ineligible receiver downfield, and centers Chris Jurek and Jason Kelce were flagged for false starts a combined three times.

"We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties - missed assignments, missed reads," senior quarterback Mauk said. "We just hurt ourselves. Anytime you do that, you're not going to put enough points on the board."

The Bearcats will have to figure out how to keep themselves from committing so many infractions when they travel to Tampa this weekend to face South Florida. They'll have to be less sloppy.

"The problem I looked at was sloppy play when it comes to the personal fouls," Kelly said. "We're grabbing a facemask instead of getting ourselves in good position. We're not playing the whistle and bringing a guy down late. They're really self-inflicted wounds."

Yet, Kelly has a little sympathy for his players, particularly those who still are getting used to the spread offense. Yes, eight games already have passed, but some still are struggling with their timing in the new system.

"Believe me, I'm the first guy to say, 'Look at all these penalties,' but we took a direct-snap power offense and turned it into a spread offense," Kelly said. "In eight games, they've done some really good things. They're just going through some growing pains."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071029/SPT0201/710290342/1016

More info:

Misc. Team Statistics

TEAM              G 1ST 1ST P/G 3RD CONV 3RD ATT 3RD PCT 4TH CONV 4TH ATT 4TH PCT PENALTIES PENALTY YRDS

1. West Virginia    8 181    22.6      56          109        51.4          5            11        45.5          43              380

2. Louisville          9 241    26.8      59          124        47.6          6            12        50.0          69            617

3. Rutgers          8 177    22.1      51          110        46.4          4              8        50.0          59              501

4. Cincinnati        8 189    23.6      44          105        41.9          8            13        61.5          78              637

5. Connecticut    8 159    19.9      42          115        36.5          2              7        28.6          52              375

6. South Florida    8 171    21.4      40          121        33.1          8            13      61.5        61            526

7. Syracuse          8 115    14.4      34          108        31.5          3              9        33.3          56              448

8. Pittsburgh        8 147    18.4      33          110        30.0          8            13        61.5          60              547

• Content Count:  2,307

This is the game that has scared me the most all season beside Rutgers.  I know we can come out with a win, but it won't be an easy game.

I'm drawing a blank.  Can someone please provide a brief game summary of what happened with Cincy last year?

See the link below and remember, they didn't have Mauk who is a much, much better QB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262952132

Archived