• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

3rd and goal from the 1 yard line...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

that looks like the play we did run against Uconn, except they saw it coming and elon didn't

The Elon play is a rollout behind 3 backs to pass first/run second - great call, we should do more of getting Matt moving and throwing on the run BY DESIGN.

UConn disgrace was a bootleg (AWAY from the 3 backs) and it was a run play all the way.

Other than that, they were pretty similar..... ???

Well.... those that understand football will say they were similar.  i mean come on... Matt did take the snap didn't he.

:D

• Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

Well.... those that understand football will say they were similar.  i mean come on... Matt did take the snap didn't he.

And from under center, too.

Anyway, I was merely trying to agree with cashcow's original post - it would have been a whole lot better than the naked boot. Of course, the suggestion from fishinBULL to just pound it is equally valid.

...especially with 20/20 hindsight.

Oh well. Next week. Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  446

I just wish Matt would've chucked that ball through the endzone when he whipped his head around and saw everyone staying home.  I know he only had about half a second to make that decision, but I think that has to be coached in...."if they crash down, run it in....if there are three defenders staying home, throw it out of the endzone".

• Content Count:  100

I just wish Matt would've chucked that ball through the endzone when he whipped his head around and saw everyone staying home.  I know he only had about half a second to make that decision, but I think that has to be coached in...."if they crash down, run it in....if there are three defenders staying home, throw it out of the endzone".

I don't even know for sure that he was outside the tackle box - if he wasn't, then intentional grounding's the same result as the TFL.

Of course, if the tight end's on a pattern, it's a different story; but it was a designed run.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't remember the exact situation, but you can't generally just throw the ball on a called run, we would have likely been hit with an illegal man down field penalty.

It was a horrible call, Matt could have probably went down quicker to save the yards, but he knew the importance of the situation and was trying to make a play. I wonder when/if the staff will give Matt the ability to make calls at the line, I would think he would have checked out of that play.

UConn allowed Matt to kill them with his legs last year, I am sure they were expecting it to be him with the ball, especially without Ford on the field. Kelly would have been a good decoy if nothing else. When the average weight of the three RBs on the field is 170ish, there isn't too much fear of having to stop up the middle so everyone can (and did) stay home.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Any idea why the play is called "NAKED"  bootleg?  On that play the QB is completely exposed by himself (naked).  It's a one shot deal.  If you don't catch the defense crashing down into the line you are screwed.  They were fooled and Matt was screwed.

It was a bad play call for the situation.  There are a hell of a lot better play options to run in that situation. 

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

that looks like the play we did run against Uconn, except they saw it coming and elon didn't

The Elon play is a rollout behind 3 backs to pass first/run second - great call, we should do more of getting Matt moving and throwing on the run BY DESIGN.

UConn disgrace was a bootleg (AWAY from the 3 backs) and it was a run play all the way.

Other than that, they were pretty similar..... ???

??? 

It is the exact same formation, down and distance.  How do you know that the Elon TD play was not the naked boot and MG checked out of it? 

Archived