• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    AAC_Championship_MensBasketball_Print_Full_24_CMYK.png
    American Athletic Conference Tournament

Next: @ UCF, Tue, 3/19, 9 pm, ESPN+

1 2 Final  
    #4 UAB 38 55 93  
    #1 Bulls 30 53 83  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPN2  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Defeated ECU 91-59

If you were M.Grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

I agree Big BullyUSF The Defense let us down. When we got to within 4 points (15-19) we let them go down the field and score a field goal just when we had the momentum. That killed us. The offense has pretty much sputtered all season but when we're winning it is the defense that is the strenght of this team and they've lay-ed a couple of eggs. We need to get pressure on the QB and sealoff the outside from big runs.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,528

Grothe was the best thing about our offense, but he certainly could have played better himself. He is capable of better throws than we saw out there. He is only a soph and will get better each year. He isn't going anywhere and we should all be thankful for that.

That said, he is far more patient than I would be with all the dropsies. He's got to be hoping for some reliable hands coming in here in the offseason.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

hopefully his replacement in 2 years has more arm strength

If we had nearly any other QB in CFB that game likely ends with "USF - 0" on the scoreboard.

Hate to say it, but it was Grothe that threw the two INT's, not the receivers.  Sorry guys, but Grothe is an average QB with good feet.  He can't make all the throws necessary to be considered elite.  He does have a great ability to make plays out of the pocket, but he is far from a great QB.  If anyone has the right to be pissed, it has to be the defense really.  They lay their asses on the line every game and the offense, led by Grothe does not put up the points needed. 

For the past umpteen years that would be true, but did you watch the game?  The D didn't step it up until it was way too late.

• Content Count:  695

Well Matt Grothe is going to be a middle linebacker in the NFL so why not just move him there now? (i'm mocking that one topic from like 2 weeks ago)

• Content Count:  136

6-2 with a win at Auburn. This has been a pretty good year. This thread is suppose to be about Matt transferring? Are you serious? Why would a person aspiring to be a teacher transfer to a school to play football? The two losses come as a team; you cannot blame one person for it. Sure Matt threw a INT for a touchdown. You know what? Tony Romo threw 5 INTs and still won. This young team still has a lot of maturing to do and hopefully we will start to see the explosive offense that we all want to see. Whatever i'm behind matt, amarri, mike ford, the offensive coordinator, even moise plancher. Bulls ride together, and we did together.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,710
  • Days Won:  115

Hate to say it, but it was Grothe that threw the two INT's, not the receivers.  Sorry guys, but Grothe is an average QB with good feet.  He can't make all the throws necessary to be considered elite.  He does have a great ability to make plays out of the pocket, but he is far from a great QB.  If anyone has the right to be pissed, it has to be the defense really.  They lay their asses on the line every game and the offense, led by Grothe does not put up the points needed. 

the fade route that he underthrew was on him and it would have been nice if Edwards could have tried to fight for the ball-- although I'm thinking he didn't have position to do so.

The other one-- that was returned for a touchdown was deflected at the line of scrimmage by a UConn DL-- and that went right to them for an easy score. Not saying it wasnt technically his fault but it was a good play on defense that led to that INT in that case. it happens.

As for those whoare second guessing various plays he tried to make-- I have to laugh a little bit. Are we watching the same QB? Have you missed some of the miraculous plays he has made doing some of the most incredible and slightly insane manuevers? You can't overthink those types of things and while yes-- in HINDSIGHT-- it seems obvious what he was supposed to do--- bear in mind that if he somehow escapes that pressure and turns it into a TD or some gain or whatever besides the long sack, most of us here would be oohing and ahhing like we have in the past. Yes-- game was on the line-- but how many times have we seen Grothe turn crap into chocolate chip cookies? I'll defer to his instincts and god given ability to scramble into something crazy good. YOu put the reins on a talent like that and you essentially neuter it. Given time-- of course he might play it slightly different or peraps evade the rush somehow. I'm just saying-- finding fault with his play in that situation seems a little too convienent and Sunday morning QBing.

• Content Count:  282

Yes-- game was on the line-- but how many times have we seen Grothe turn crap into chocolate chip cookies? I'll defer to his instincts and god given ability to scramble into something crazy good. YOu put the reins on a talent like that and you essentially neuter it. Given time-- of course he might play it slightly different or peraps evade the rush somehow. I'm just saying-- finding fault with his play in that situation seems a little too convienent and Sunday morning QBing.

Thanks Mike for helping me with some perspective on Matt.  I had been screaming at the TV "throw the ball away" on the naked boot before the defenders dropped him for the long loss but you are correct, I would have been slapping my forehead with a silly grin on my face if he had scampered away for the TD like he has done on other occasions.  I guess you have to take the good about his abilities and what they bring with the not-so-good when they don't work out.

GO BULLS!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,544
  • Days Won:  29

...  Sorry guys, but Grothe is an average QB with good feet.  ... 

Well ... everyone has their opinion, but how long have you been watching Grothe play ? He has vision passing and running and has a great touch. He didn't have a good game against UConn.

• Content Count:  4,738

where is he going to transfer to exactly?

If he goes to a big school-- he has one year of eligibility left

If he goes to a small school-- how does that help him?

ridiculous thread topic imo

i second that

Archived