• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    AAC_Championship_MensBasketball_Print_Full_24_CMYK.png
    American Athletic Conference Tournament

Next: @ UCF, Tue, 3/19, 9 pm, ESPN+

1 2 Final  
    #4 UAB 38 55 93  
    #1 Bulls 30 53 83  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPN2  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Defeated ECU 91-59

If you were M.Grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Matt is still only a sophomore and has plenty of learning to do.  He will continue to grow as the offense grows.  Name one other offense that is running with as many freshman players as we are.  I was at the game yesterday and at the end of the first half there were 2 plays where we had 7 freshman on the field at the same time.  the majority of the game we had a freshman OL, 2 freshman RBs, 2 sometimes 3 Freshman WRs.  That is a lot of freshman to ask to be productive against a BCS level defense.   

On the INT, Matt made a complete mess of that play.  First of all, the guy rushing him was flat on his face and Matt had time to to get in better throwing position.  He had a wide open field to run the ball.  Worst case scenario he gets stopped for a loss of 2 or 3 yards, but probably scores.  He threw off balance and short. 

On the Ced Hill drop, that was somewhat on Matt too.  If he wopuld have thrown it to the back pylon instead of only 5 yards deep, there was no chance of the DB even distracting Hill.

Matt is absolutely a gamer and takes the team on his shoulders, but he still has a way to go in his development as a QB.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  0

if you truly believe he is some hybrid of those players---- ALL of them to a man a solid TEAM PLAYER-- then you would never say Matt would haul arse to a different situation and blame his woes on everyone except himself.

Leaders accept responsibility. It is just as much MGs fault we lost the game as anyone else on the team.

My take is that there are many people making little mistakes that are creating the problem-- mistakes in execution, catching, blocking, tackling, passing, kicking-- you name it. That loss gets pinned on the Bulls as a team imo-- with a special mention to UConn for bringing a solid effort all around.

Totally agree but you forgot to mention the play calling along with all of the other small miscues that culminated in that loss.  The play calling at the end of the game was much to be desired. 

• Content Count:  134

If I was Matt Grothe, i would thank my lucky stars that I have an opportunity to be a QB at a Div-1 school that is currently ranked.

Then I would say to myself as I'm on my way to watch some game film "Man, I'm glad I'm a sophomore, I can't wait to grow up with these young recievers the next 2 years"

Then I'd go by Sonic and get a breakfast burrito.

Then possibly go fishing or watch a movie.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,329
  • Days Won:  13

If I was Matt Grothe, i would thank my lucky stars that I have an opportunity to be a QB at a Div-1 school that is currently ranked.

Then I would say to myself as I'm on my way to watch some game film "Man, I'm glad I'm a sophomore, I can't wait to grow up with these young recievers the next 2 years"

Then I'd go by Sonic and get a breakfast burrito.

Then possibly go fishing or watch a movie.

I love me some Sonic. You should see the girl he is *******. Id stay for her alone.

• Content Count:  5,691

Matt is still only a sophomore and has plenty of learning to do.  He will continue to grow as the offense grows.  Name one other offense that is running with as many freshman players as we are.  I was at the game yesterday and at the end of the first half there were 2 plays where we had 7 freshman on the field at the same time.  the majority of the game we had a freshman OL, 2 freshman RBs, 2 sometimes 3 Freshman WRs.  That is a lot of freshman to ask to be productive against a BCS level defense.   

On the INT, Matt made a complete mess of that play.  First of all, the guy rushing him was flat on his face and Matt had time to to get in better throwing position.  He had a wide open field to run the ball.  Worst case scenario he gets stopped for a loss of 2 or 3 yards, but probably scores.  He threw off balance and short. 

On the Ced Hill drop, that was somewhat on Matt too.  If he wopuld have thrown it to the back pylon instead of only 5 yards deep, there was no chance of the DB even distracting Hill.

Matt is absolutely a gamer and takes the team on his shoulders, but he still has a way to go in his development as a QB.

Something i have noticed and i would think the coach's would point out to him is that when possible he needs to stepinto passes and not throw off his back foot.

he was short on that pick in the endzone because he was throwing off his backfoot. he has improved a ton from last yr but is only a spphomore and will continue to get better.

i thought the pass to hill was perfectly thrown...gotta make that catch.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,544
  • Days Won:  29

I think Grothe will follow Leavitt . . .

:pick

• Content Count:  1,757

I'm not saying he should transfer, but the guy has to be frustrated. 

I feel bad for such an amazing player that keeps being screwed by his supporting staff and coaching staff. 

The guy is a hybrid of Flute/Montana/Casey Weldon/Right Handed Steve Young with a huge heart and great attitude.

Love the guy and his "Will to compete". 

Go Bulls!

PS: Mike G- Thanks for the photos

You could argue that Grothe cost us that game.

Horrible first half of the game (threw a pick in the F'ing endzone when he had Marcus for an easy TD)

Costly mistakes at the end of the game cost us as well (holding onto the ball too long)

I thought we might have seen Gregory in the 2nd half the way Matt played in the first.

But he is still a great QB who just had an up and down performance.

I agree 100%.

• Content Count:  132

Hate to say it, but it was Grothe that threw the two INT's, not the receivers.  Sorry guys, but Grothe is an average QB with good feet.  He can't make all the throws necessary to be considered elite.  He does have a great ability to make plays out of the pocket, but he is far from a great QB.  If anyone has the right to be pissed, it has to be the defense really.  They lay their asses on the line every game and the offense, led by Grothe does not put up the points needed. 

• Content Count:  5,228
  • Days Won:  2

If anyone has the right to be pissed, it has to be the defense really.  They lay their asses on the line every game and the offense, led by Grothe does not put up the points needed. 

normally i'd agree, but the defense didn't get it done yesterday.  Dixon ran ALL OVER us and Lorenzen was finding open men in the middle of the field all day.

aside from a few flashes--- the pick by Trae in the first half, the sack by Selvie and the subsequent safety in the second--- the defense didn't do much of anything.  they didn't wrap up.  they didn't shut down the pass, and they certainly didn't stop the run.

Grothe is still a sophomore.  he is not elite yet, and he has alot to learn (like when to throw the ball away instead of take a 10 yard sack).  but he also doesn't get much help from his receivers who drop well-thrown passes.  the playcalling also hasn't been spectacular.  we spent the first 4 games trying to force Grothe into a pocket-passing role.  not to mention our running game still isn't solid.

all that, and we are still ranked 20th, have a 6-2 record and are 10 points on the road away from being undefeated.

a little more maturity and some better playcalling (hey Greg, get your **** together!) and we could be dangerous.

Archived