• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

re: Punting & Kickers from the State of Florida

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Alvarado was recruited as a punter, not a field goal kicker.

I do not believe you are correct about that, because he came in with Ilia Petrov who was supposed to be the punter of the two.

Both of them have worked out splendidly to this point.  ::)

They were both punters originally

I understand that, but Alavrado was brought into be a placekicker.  

Otherwise, who was going to be our placekicker?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Alvarado was recruited as a punter, not a field goal kicker.

I do not believe you are correct about that, because he came in with Ilia Petrov who was supposed to be the punter of the two.

Both of them have worked out splendidly to this point.  ::)

They were both punters originally

I believe at the time of recruitment we had Benzer, Bronson, and Teachey on the roster.  I could be mistaken on one (or all, of course) of them.

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Played football and in band? What the hell did he drop the trombone everytime he had to punt, slip in his uniform quickly punt then get back in his band gear?

• Content Count:  1,370

WWMJD...that's correct, we had Teachey, Benzer and Bronson on roster. Teachey and Bronson were redshirt freshmen and Benzer was the incoming true freshman when we recruited Alvarado. Alvarado and Petrov were recruited at punter to replace the graduating Brandon Baker.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

Benzer

• Content Count:  21

Kickers are a unique bunch.  Our kicker (Ciaravino) was far from good last year.  He has been a revelation thus far this season.  We had a kid who was all-BE as a Soph (Nuzie) who fell apart his jr and sr seasons.  We recruited a punter from FL - Shane Hussar - at the same time as Ciaravino.  Hussar left the program for flight school.  Alvarado had a good stroke on the 47-yarder.  Obviously, his head might not be where it needs to be, but you never know what a year will do to a kicker's psyche.

In any case, Coach Leavitt has really made a mess of the kicking situation.

Bronson was the most consistent kicker and took the job from Benzer in 2006. Bronson, who was a preferred walk-on, claimed that Leavitt promised him a scholarship at the end of the season but broke the promise by not giving him one. Therefore, he transferred to a division I-AA school (Tex State, I think).

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Bronson was far from perfect also.  11 for 16 in 2005 if ESPN's stats are correct.  Bronson would have had his schollie if he had waited for the new semeseter but Leavitt can't just completely break the rules and give a kid money just because he threatens to leave.  Understand where Bronson was coming from but nothing CJL can do.

I think four of the five that he missed was from 45+. He didn't miss 26 yarders like Delbert does. I don't believe Kyle's argument that CJL promised him a schollie, however. Leavitt almost always keeps his word. I think, after the season, Kyle went to him but he didn't want to give up another s-ship for a kicker.

Archived