• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Matt Grothe

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  138

not sure how much him slipping hurt that play but I would have rather seen us go to a spread formation on that down instead. Then let Matt either pick a receiver or find a lane to scamper in for the TD. Once we lost all that yardage, we lost the field position to mix things up. I don't think he had a chance to get rid of the ball once he slipped either-- they had three gus crashing in on his left side off the snap.

oh well-- on to the next game

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

i have an idea coach gregory....1st down at the one yard line.  how bout 4 quarterback sneaks?!?!?!

good way to avoid holding calls

• Content Count:  1,037

Cant throw away the ball on that play...if so people would be screaming "what was he thinking" because it would have been a 10 yard penalty for lineman down field and we would have been on the 12 anyway. If you look at that play almost all the front 5 where past the line of scrimmage. Would have liked to have had the same play with an outlet to pass to because with both men on that side up to tackle should have been wide open in corner and when you call it that way the linemen know its pass blocking so the run, pass or throw away is an option. But oh well, all good, just win at home and all will be ok.

• Content Count:  936

A lot of people came down hard on MG after what they saw as a mistake at the end of the game last night.  With that aside...

Matt is a ******' warrior.  I will go to war with that kid any day of the week.  He fights as hard as anyone and I would not want anyone else representing my team with the game on the line.  He picked us up on his shoulders and carried us **** close to a win in a game that had zero positives for us until he took control.

In Grothe we trust.

Go Bulls

I compare Grothe to someone like Brett Favre(no flames, just listen).  Brett makes great plays, but also makes mistakes.  But in the end the great plays win you games.  What you can't have is they players around you making mistake after mistake.  When Grothe throws you a perfect ball, it can't bounce off your chest in the end zone.  We can deal with MG's mistakes, as they are offset by fantastic plays. can't deal with all the errors around him.

Well said.

• Content Count:  1,457

We need to develop that 4 dimentional offense - passing, running, trick plays, and then QB runs.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Cant throw away the ball on that play...if so people would be screaming "what was he thinking" because it would have been a 10 yard penalty for lineman down field and we would have been on the 12 anyway. If you look at that play almost all the front 5 where past the line of scrimmage. Would have liked to have had the same play with an outlet to pass to because with both men on that side up to tackle should have been wide open in corner and when you call it that way the linemen know its pass blocking so the run, pass or throw away is an option. But oh well, all good, just win at home and all will be ok.

You raised a warrior.  Like I said originally I would follow Matt onto the field of battle every day of the week.

• Content Count:  5,240
  • Days Won:  2

of course MG is gonna make mistakes. everybody makes mistakes.  he's barely midway thru his sophomore year. 

but his leadership and playmaking more than make up for those mistakes... all teams and players make mistakes during the course of a game, and we could be one of those teams that win handily DESPITE those mistakes if we had some semblance of intelligible playcalling, discipline to avoid false starts and holding penalties, and more reliable offensive (and special teams) playmakers.  Grothe is surrounded by athletic talent on offense, but no consistency. 

and despite all our shortcomings, despite losing TJ and Amarri and Walt and the Ford (towards the end), we still drove back on UConn--- led by the Grohawk--- and had a chance to tie with the last play of the game (and would have tied without a penalty).  despite the free-fall plummeting of our team that began after the blocked kick/FG debacle at Rutgers, we've still only lost 2 tough in-conference road games by 10 points.

this season is still special.  to be 6-2 and ranked 18th with wins over Auburn and WVU is what we all hoped for coming into the season.

just imagine next year with Grothe a junior, Ben and TJ seniors, Jesse a junior and Mitchell, Bogan, Jamar and the Ford all with a year of playing time under their belt.

• Content Count:  5,240
  • Days Won:  2

and for the record, i'd like to see MG calling more audibles out of the inept plays called by Gregory.

i have more faith in Grothe to see the defense and make adjustments than i do in Gregory calling a play that will actually be effective.

• Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

leavitt has failed to surround grothe with talent

Archived