• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So how far do we drop?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

USF will be behind all other 2 loss teams because you lost 2 in a row.  See CAL rules.  #2 to #22 in 2 weeks.  You guys played like **** though, so I would expect to see 23-24ish if you are lucky.  It dont matter, you wont keep that rank long anyway.  You wont beat Louisville and probably not Cincy either.

Go home and burn a few couches, we don't want to read your crap on our board, you will be ignored

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

A lot of teams lost today, so we may fall only to 15 or 16th. 

• Content Count:  3,403

The Associated Press poll... (I will update this post as other teams win/lose tonight...)

Bold Green = Won

Bold Black = Winning Big

Red Strike Through = Loss

Black Strike Through = Losing Big

Blue = Idle

1. Ohio State (57) 8-0 1,612

2. Boston College (2) 7-0 1,494

3. LSU (5) 7-1 1,479

4. Oklahoma 7-1 1,421

5. Oregon 6-1 1,355

6. West Virginia 6-1 1,228

7. Arizona State (1) 7-0 1,156

8. Virginia Tech 6-1 1,111

9. USC 6-1 1,107

9. Florida 5-2 1,107

11. South Florida 6-1 980

12. Kansas 7-0 960

13. Missouri 6-1 925

14. Kentucky 6-2 719

15. South Carolina 6-2 649

16. Hawaii 7-0 573

17. Texas 6-2 497

18. California 5-2 444

19. Michigan 6-2 401

20. Georgia 5-2 394

21. Virginia 7-1 315

22. Alabama 6-2 263

23. Auburn 5-3 248

24. Penn State 6-2 209

25. Rutgers 5-2 174

Others Receiving Votes

UCLA 77

Boise State 72

Wake Forest 50

Connecticut 26

Clemson 21

Wisconsin 17

Air Force 11

Brigham Young 6

Texas Tech 6

Troy 4

Tennessee 3

Fresno State 3

Oklahoma State 3

Kansas State 2

Purdue 1

Cincinnati 1

Texas A&M 1

I appreciate this list but I wish you would stop using the meaningless AP poll.  It's not used in the BCS and ESPN doesn't use it once the BCS comes out.

Anyway, those that don't think we will still be ranked are not quite up to date with how the polls work.  We lost to a ranked team and were in the top 10.  Also, a lot of other teams lost.

Those that do not want us to be ranked aren't being very good fans.  If WVU loses a game the Big East could come down to a tie.  If we move up in the polls in the upcoming weeks before WVU loses, we could still win that tie.

Also, UConn has to play Rutgers, Cincy, and WVU.  They could lose all 3.  WVU just needs to lose 1.  Rutgers just needs to lose 1.  If that happens, we still win the Big East outright.  I'm not sure what a 4-way tie breaker is.  I think the first tie-breaker might be the records the teams have against the others.  If it's just between us, Rutgers, and WVU, it will be the highest ranked.

I know it's depressing we lost 2 games we easily could have won but made a lot of stupid mistakes, but our BCS hopes are not over.  It also sucks that we still had a shot at the title game.  We'd be #9 in both Harris and Coaches right now, #8 if ASU loses (but I now hope Cal loses to pad our drop), but we can still win the Big East.  WVU losing 1 game sets up a tie-breaker sitaution at worst.  I hope no one gives up and shows up at homecoming against Cincy.  We really need that game.

I appreciate this list but I wish you would stop using the meaningless AP poll.  It's not used in the BCS and ESPN doesn't use it once the BCS comes out.

The ONLY part of the BCS that has any meaning is: #1 Ohio State and #2 Boston College.

The BCS is not a "ranking" but a "standing" like the "Big East Standings"...

So, I will continue to use the Associated Press poll as the official rankings of record.

As for the Big East... Any team that ties is considered a "co-champion"... it's possible for three or four teams to tie with the best records.

The Big East tie-breaker for more than 2 teams is like this:

First, take the three or more teams and make a "mini-conference" -- that is, only count records against the tied teams... The team with the best record in the "mini-conference" gets the automatic BCS bid.  If two teams tie for the "mini-conference," the head to head winner gets the bid.

If the "mini-conference" results in more than two teams tied, then the team with the highest BCS "rank" gets the automatic BCS bid.

So, if Rutgers and USF win out, WVU loses 1, and U Conn loses three -- then WVU, USF, and Rutgers will tied at 5-2.  In the "mini-conference" all teams are 1-1 (Rutgers beat USF who beat WVU who beat Rutgers).  Thus, the highest BCS place team gets the bid...

So we need Rutgers to lose another game to make it a tie with WVU...

The ONLY part of the BCS that has any meaning is: #1 Ohio State and #2 Boston College.

The BCS is not a "ranking" but a "standing" like the "Big East Standings"...

So, I will continue to use the Associated Press poll as the official rankings of record.

Uh, the BCS is used for tie-breakers.  It is used by ESPN to show were a team is ranked.  The BCS is a compilation of polls and therefore is a ranking.  I'm not sure what your problem is with the word "ranking" but it's used for the BCS.  A "standing" is only for wins and losses.  That's the only time you see "standings" used.  Otherwise, it's a ranking.  The BCS ranking is a compilation of polls.  But whatever you want to call it, ranking or standing, it is certainly far more useful than the AP Poll.

If you are just going to use 1 poll, why not use the Harris or Coaches that actually go into the BCS?  It just makes no sense to me to use a poll that means nothing for our season.

It would be just as useful to only show the Computer poll "ranking" or "standing."

At the end of the season, people will only care what our final...place...is in the BCS.

Uh, the BCS is used for tie-breakers. 

Kinda.  Head to head is always the first tie breaker.  It works just as I've described above.

Don't believe me? Look it up:

http://www.bigeast.org/fls/19400/pdfs/football/tiebreak.pdf

It is used by ESPN to show were a team is ranked.  The BCS is a compilation of polls and therefore is a ranking.  I'm not sure what your problem is with the word "ranking" but it's used for the BCS.  A "standing" is only for wins and losses.  That's the only time you see "standings" used.  Otherwise, it's a ranking.  The BCS ranking is a compilation of polls.  But whatever you want to call it, ranking or standing, it is certainly far more useful than the AP Poll.

Well, perhaps you need to take a look at what the BCS actually calls itself.  Go ahead. I'll wait. http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/standings

Uh, the BCS is used for tie-breakers. 

Kinda.  Head to head is always the first tie breaker.  It works just as I've described above.

Don't believe me? Look it up:

http://www.bigeast.org/fls/19400/pdfs/football/tiebreak.pdf

It is used by ESPN to show were a team is ranked.  The BCS is a compilation of polls and therefore is a ranking.  I'm not sure what your problem is with the word "ranking" but it's used for the BCS.  A "standing" is only for wins and losses.  That's the only time you see "standings" used.  Otherwise, it's a ranking.  The BCS ranking is a compilation of polls.  But whatever you want to call it, ranking or standing, it is certainly far more useful than the AP Poll.

Well, perhaps you need to take a look at what the BCS actually calls itself.  Go ahead. I'll wait. http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/standings

Yeah, so the most likely scenario is a 3-way tie with WVU and either Rutgers or UConn.  In that scenario the BCS ranking would be the tie-breaker.  In fact, they use the word "ranking" in that pdf:

THREE-WAY TIE

A “MINI-CONFERENCE†IS CREATED AMONGST THE THREE TIED

TEAMS

Scenario I:

All three teams have either a 6-1 or 5-2 record and have each won one and

lost one against the other tied teams in the mini-conference. In this case, the

highest ranked team amongst the three earns the bid.

What ranking?  Oh yeah, the BCS ranking.

Using the word standing does not change the fact that it's also a ranking, or a compilation of polls.  Regardless of which word you use, it's what ESPN reports all week, it's used for tie-breakers, and it means infinitely more than the AP Poll, or standings.

• Content Count:  134

If you ask me, which no one is, but rankings this year really don't mean ****.  This season has been stupid crazy and I hope Hawaii and Boston College play for the MNC.

Yeah, so the most likely scenario is a 3-way tie with WVU and either Rutgers or UConn.  In that scenario the BCS ranking would be the tie-breaker.

Yeah. Which is what I said.

First, take the three or more teams and make a "mini-conference" -- that is, only count records against the tied teams... The team with the best record in the "mini-conference" gets the automatic BCS bid.  If two teams tie for the "mini-conference," the head to head winner gets the bid.

If the "mini-conference" results in more than two teams tied, then the team with the highest BCS "rank" gets the automatic BCS bid.

In fact, they use the word "ranking" in that pdf:

THREE-WAY TIE

A “MINI-CONFERENCE” IS CREATED AMONGST THE THREE TIED

TEAMS

Scenario I:

All three teams have either a 6-1 or 5-2 record and have each won one and

lost one against the other tied teams in the mini-conference. In this case, the

highest ranked team amongst the three earns the bid.

What ranking?  Oh yeah, the BCS ranking.

Using the word standing does not change the fact that it's also a ranking, or a compilation of polls.  Regardless of which word you use, it's what ESPN reports all week, it's used for tie-breakers, and it means infinitely more than the AP Poll, or standings.

You missed this part of the Big East's Teibreaker PDF:

All references to “rankings” refer to the BCS Poll released after the regular season is completed for all BIG EAST members.

The Big East gives the word "rankings", not the BCS.

And since the Associated Press uses it's poll in all stories (see this story on the Go USF Bulls website), and it gives out it's own National Championship, it means the same thing as the BCS.

ESPN (and maybe Fox) are the only ones to use the BCS as the rankings when it talks about the Top 25.  Almost all other media use the AP when referring to a generic "ranking" or actually say "BCS" when they refer to the BCS standings.  (The USA Today, of course, uses the coaches poll.)

I am not saying we should ignore the BCS.  I am saying the AP poll has just as much relevance as the BCS.  Both are used by various media outlets.  Both give out their own national championships.

And because the BCS calls itself standings, then I choose to honor that and call it "standings".  It's not just semantics.

Archived