• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn's Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Maine Temple Duke Akron......... Don't be worried about their defense imo.

hmmm...  Louisville might suck ostrich eggs this year, but their offense is Top 5 in the nation.

UConn shut them down like a Chinese restaurant selling General Tso's catmeat to a health inspector.

Dig deeper.  Louisville's offense is not as strong as it had been in the past.  Yeah, statistically they look OK.  Then take a look at the defenses they put those numbers up against.  If we played those defenses, our offense would be ranked # 5 also.  The best overall defense UL played was Cincinnati, but UL moved the ball passing against them.  Cincinanati has the 103rd ranked pass defense.  Syracuse 109th. Kentucky, the 74th ranked defense, NC State 69th.  Our offensive stats would look as good as Louisville's this year if we had played defenses equivalent to UCF and North Carolina for our first 7 games.

Bottom line is that UCONN is well coached and sound, but I don't think we know if they are a top defense or not.  They haven't played a really good offense yet.  UL has been missing most of their offensive weapons this year due to injury.  They aren't as prolific as they have been the past couple of years.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  291
  • Days Won:  0

Maine Temple Duke Akron......... Don't be worried about their defense imo.

hmmm...  Louisville might suck ostrich eggs this year, but their offense is Top 5 in the nation.

UConn shut them down like a Chinese restaurant selling General Tso's catmeat to a health inspector.

Dig deeper.  Louisville's offense is not as strong as it had been in the past.  Yeah, statistically they look OK.  Then take a look at the defenses they put those numbers up against.  If we played those defenses, our offense would be ranked # 5 also.  The best overall defense UL played was Cincinnati, but UL moved the ball passing against them.  Cincinanati has the 103rd ranked pass defense.  Syracuse 109th. Kentucky, the 74th ranked defense, NC State 69th.  Our offensive stats would look as good as Louisville's this year if we had played defenses equivalent to UCF and North Carolina for our first 7 games.

Bottom line is that UCONN is well coached and sound, but I don't think we know if they are a top defense or not.  They haven't played a really good offense yet.  UL has been missing most of their offensive weapons this year due to injury.  They aren't as prolific as they have been the past couple of years.

Not to mention UL survives only b/c of Brohm and his passing. It was hard for him in the conditions of their game. We should fair alot better.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

I'm worried about UConn's D-- they held ULs offense to 10 points last week. 7 were from a defensive fumble return.

This game is going to be much harder than some people think. WHile we are capable of getting the job done, I see way too many people spouting off their moouths like this is a cakewalk game. It's not. I just hope we can get past them and come out with any win.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm worried about UConn's D-- they held ULs offense to 10 points last week. 7 were from a defensive fumble return.

This game is going to be much harder than some people think. WHile we are capable of getting the job done, I see way too many people spouting off their moouths like this is a cakewalk game. It's not. I just hope we can get past them and come out with any win.

If we don't show up to play 60 minutes of football then we will struggle.  Certainly in conference play every game has something on the line and any team has the capability of beating any team.   Everyone is pointing to UCONN's defense holding UL to such a low scoring total. My point was that  right now UL's offense is very, very over rated and it is not really indicative of UCONN being an elite defense.  UL's biggest problem right now is injuries.  They are vastly depleted.  If our offense comes out and plays even an average game, there is no reason to believe that we can't move the ball on their defense.  Based on UCONN's performance so far against 5 of the worst 30 offenses in D1 and almost the worst offense in D1AA plus a very depleted UL offense, many people seem to think they are such an elite defense that will shut us down completely, yet we have been able to move and score against 3 legit top 20 defenses of top ranked teams.

You are correct, if we don't come out and play hard football for 60 minutes we will struggle.  I believe we will come out fired up and will win.  The only wild card is how will we play in the rain.  We practiced in it all summer.  I don't see it being a disadvantage to us at all.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

maybe you are overlooking that our offense has injury problems as well with Taurus Johnson and Walter Walker out, several of the line dinged up from a tough season so far.

I'm not saying we can't win-- I am just concerned that people think we can just roll some other team on the road that has shown some serious tenacious D.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

...  They haven't played a really good offense yet.  ...

And we haven't shown that we are "a really good offense yet"  ;)

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Best team they played thus far were the Kangaroos of Akron!

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

...  They haven't played a really good offense yet.  ...

And we haven't shown that we are "a really good offense yet"  ;)

I demand an immediate investigation of who is using ET's login!  In my 2 years that is the most negative thing I have ever seen from him.  Therefore it can't be him.  Investigate!  ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

If UConn hasn't played any good offenses to date, that won't change after today's game.  Let's face it, our offense is not as good as L'ville's whether rain, snow, sleet......  And this will not be the team upon which we will unveil a powerful running game.  We'll need to throw the ball effectively.  Rewatched 2nd half of Rutgers yesterday.  We did throw a few slants but our receivers never seem to break that first tackle to get into open space. 

GO BULLS

Archived