• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Mike Jenkins 40?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

returners rarely get hurt, hardly a concern

Thank you!  I can't even remember a returner getting hurt!  I am so sick of people saying it's an injury risk.  It's no more an injury risk than any other play for the returner.  You put the best athlete back there.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,236
  • Days Won:  2

bottom line, Jenk doesnt need to even take that risk, regardless of the improbability of it.

besides, how are u going to ask the guy who just got done chasing down a receiver to stop a 3rd down conversion to go back up field and return a punt?  what is he, superman (and i dont mean Tim Teabag)?

the man's energy and talent needs to be focused on shutting down the other team's best receiver.  running back punts is a waste of his energy.

we have PLENTY of athletes on our team, and our punt and kick returning still sucks.  clearly it's not the athlete, but the entire punt return unit (blocking, etc.) that needs help.

• Content Count:  849

was watching some hilites of the Buttgers game and i'm truly amazed at the 69 yard TD breakout play by Underwood...

not what Underwood did (of course), or how bad T-Mac missed the tackle...  but how u see Underwood full speed, balls to the wall basically burning Nate Allen and leaving him in the dust, then out of nowhere Mike Jenkins comes flying from the other side of the field at full speed to put a hand on him at the very end.

if there had been 10-15 more yards of field, Jenk would have brought him down.

that is sheer speed.

now Rivals and other sources list Jenkins as having a 40 somewhere in the 4.43 range...

but i can't believe he's not somewhere in the 4.30s at most.

anyone know what his 40 time is?

Don't worry about the Rivals sources. Jenks runs somewhere in the 4.3 range. You will see him light it up at the combine. Not to mention his 375 lbs bench press. The guy is an absolute freak.

• Content Count:  1,777

we have PLENTY of athletes on our team, and our punt and kick returning still sucks.  clearly it's not the athlete, but the entire punt return unit (blocking, etc.) that needs help.

Even though it was a kick off Murphy did a good job with the return at Auburn.  I would also like to see someone else other than Edwards do the returns. He just does not seem like the "I AM GOIN TO TAKE IT TO THE HOUSE" type.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The first time I remember Jenkins do that was a caouple of years ago at PSU when he ran down their guy from about 30 yards behind.  He looked like he was shot out of a cannon.  They guy he ran down was considered the fastest freshman to come into college football that year.  I can recall him catching guys from behind at least 5 or 6 times.  He is amazing running guys down from behind.  There are not many times when he is on the field that there is anyone on the other team that is faster than he is.  My guess is that he is about a 4.3 guy.

The only reason I can think of for not returning punts or kicks is he may not have the best hands.  His only knock is he drops a lot of potential INTs.  I find the excuse that he may get injured to be one of the stupidest remarks ever.  In colllege, over the years you have seen the good teams put their best players back for returns.  Even at USF, wasn't JR Reed one of our best players and DB?  He ran back kicks. 

Guest JulmisteForPrez

He might actually be one of the few who are truly in the 4.3 range.

With 40 times so insanely exaggerated these days (see WVU's 250 lb. fullback, Owen Schmidt, running a 4.5), it's always hilarious to hear what these guys supposedly run.

Mike Jenkins is one of the fastest two or three guys I've seen on a college football field in a LONG time, though,

So if we use the same formula everyone else does, I guess we could say Mike Jenkins is about a 3.9 guy.

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

returners rarely get hurt, hardly a concern

Thank you!  I can't even remember a returner getting hurt!  I am so sick of people saying it's an injury risk.  It's no more an injury risk than any other play for the returner.  You put the best athlete back there.

a little back but how about a DB in the NFL who was a Pro Bowl caliber DB and asked if he could return kicks....first kicked he fielded and took off with...he got tackled and tore his ACL...just because guys are fast doesnt make them good returners...Jenks has done it before and was so-so

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Jenkins chased down the Penn State "superspeedster" Justin King two years ago (I remember how the commentators kept going on and on how PSU recruited all this speed with King and Williams).  Also chased down Ben Olsen from Miami to cause a touchback.  The kid has flat out great straight line speed.  Which is the reason he is not returning kicks, he just is not that shifty.  KR and PR are as much about agility and quickness in a confined space as it is top end speed.

• Content Count:  5,236
  • Days Won:  2

it's not just the injury factor, however unlikely injuries may be...

it's also the fatigue factor... punt returns come after the DEFENSE has just shut down the other team. Jenk is an integral part of that defense.  when other teams are on 3rd and long-- which is most often a passing situation-- he's going to go from running up field with receivers to returning a punt on the very next play.  in some cases for heavy pass oriented offenses (i.e. what we'll see from Brohm and the Ville), he could be defending upwards of 5 or 6 pass plays on any given drive.

conversely, while he may not get injured on returns, he's still going to be taking hits. 

the kid has unreal talent and abilities, but he's still human. expending all that energy and taking all those small hits can take a toll on even the best athletes. not to mention time to learn more extra teams stuff.  why even risk spreading Jenk thin, when focusing all that energy and athletic talent on locking down his corner of the field on D is so important and has worked so well?

football is not always just about putting the best player or best athlete on the field and saying "run the ball."  there are mechanics and preparation and other minutiae involved... Jenk is fast, he's our best athlete, one of the best corners in the nation and one of the best players we've got, defense or offense... that doesn't necessarily translate into world class punt/kick returns.  the comparison to Devin Hester is interesting, but at Miami he wasn't just a returner... he lined up at receiver, tailback, corner as well as returns. Jenk is a pure, prototypical shutdown corner. the only similarities in their game is their speed.

this discussion kinda reminds me of the Mike Ford debate, and the people who say "just give him the ball!  he's the best runner!" while ignoring all the other factors that make the position more complex than just running between or cutting outside the tackles.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Well put Sanjay

Archived