• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What moron decided that "USF" sounds better than South Florida?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  0

Please tell me what moron decided to tell ESPN that we want to be called "USF" and not "South Florida"? Anybody heard of UM oh I mean Michigan... how 'bout PSU .. oh I mean Penn State... or lets see OSU.... no sorry Ohio State...  ooooh how bout this one P.U.  ... errr Pitt? oh no can't call them Pitt....

There is nothing wrong with "South Florida". I am proud to be from South Florida. South Florida sounds better when announcers are talking about schools. USF ... just seems too generic when discussing it on TV.

Thats my 2 cents... thats worth about half of that..... ;D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771

Please tell me what moron decided to tell ESPN that we want to be called "USF" and not "South Florida"? Anybody heard of UM oh I mean Michigan... how 'bout PSU .. oh I mean Penn State... or lets see OSU.... no sorry Ohio State...  ooooh how bout this one P.U.  ... errr Pitt? oh no can't call them Pitt....

There is nothing wrong with "South Florida". I am proud to be from South Florida. South Florida sounds better when announcers are talking about schools. USF ... just seems too generic when discussing it on TV.

please swallow your tongue.

• Content Count:  505

Please tell me what moron decided to tell ESPN that we want to be called "USF" and not "South Florida"? Anybody heard of UM oh I mean Michigan... how 'bout PSU .. oh I mean Penn State... or lets see OSU.... no sorry Ohio State...  ooooh how bout this one P.U.   ... errr Pitt? oh no can't call them Pitt....

Agreed.  South Florida sounds tough, USF sounds communter schoolish.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

What moron decided that "USF" sounds better than South Florida?

I'm not sure if it's real  or not but they like to go by the name "the majority"

• Content Count:  4

i like seeing it written on screen as USF...it just looks cleaner than S. Florida or So Florida or whatever else they put on TV...but when talking about the school it sounds better to be called South Florida

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

"So Fla" ?

USF avoids a number of issues...

1) "South" Florida emphasizes the "directional school" image.

2) we are not actually in south Florida.

3) shut up.

• Content Count:  594

To answer your initial question, it was Lee Roy Selmon who initiated the South Florida --> USF rebranding. That was 4 1/2 years ago. I would not call him a "moron" though I am ambivalent about the process. The new logos are certainly an improvement and reflect a more professional, contemporary image.

• Content Count:  282

USC is USC and Southern Cal.  We can be both too. 

So just shut up  ;D

Archived