• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF to Honor 1997 Football Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  223
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1287613

USF To To Honor 1997 Football Team 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 10/25/2007

TAMPA, Fla. – The University of South Florida athletic department and football program will honor the 1997 football team at the Nov. 3 home game against Cincinnati.

“These players put blood, sweat and tears into the foundation of this program,†said USF athletic director Doug Woolard. “The national success we are experiencing today began with their efforts 10 years ago and we plan to celebrate their major contributions during our homecoming festivities.â€Â

The USF Bulls Club extended invitations to members of USF’s first football team and invited them to a private function on Friday, Nov. 2.  The team will also attend the homecoming game the following day.

The team will be honored on the field at Raymond James Stadium during the halftime ceremonies.

"I have spoken with several of my teammates about coming back to Tampa for the 10-year reunion and they are all excited about the reunion,†said tight ends coach Larry Scott, who was a member of the 1997 team.  “We have all watched this program grow, both from far and close.  We were here in the beginning, so to be on the field in front of a sellout crowd should be a very rewarding experience for all involved.â€Â

Numerous members of the inaugural team spent the fall of 1996 practicing with the first football game a year away.  The Bulls took the field for the first time at the old Tampa Stadium on Sept. 6, 1997.  The year of practice paid off, as USF thumped Kentucky-Wesleyan 80-3. 

The 1997 team went 5-6 with four of the wins coming in front of the hometown crowd.

Since that time the USF program has transition from I-AA to I-A, joined Conference USA and now the BIG EAST.  The Bulls have been ranked as high as No. 2 this season and are currently No. 10 in the latest release of the BCS standings.

“There was a certain bond and chemistry among that inaugural team that can be attributed to a lot of things, but most especially the humble beginnings,†said former USF defensive back Jay Mize. â€ÂWe did not have everything. We met in trailers and got excited about a just getting a jersey. That created a mindset, a blue collar mindset. 

“None of us to this day would have changed one thing about that experience and I think that blue collar mentality is still in the locker room. It is a big reason for the success they have enjoyed and are currently experiencing.â€Â

Invitations went out to the 1997 team in early October.  A final list of attendees is not yet available.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,372
  • Days Won:  13

they deserve it.... hopefully all of our fans will show some class and honor them during halftime. I have my doubts though, I am sure most will be in the beer line.

Same thing happened when the Fins honored Marino for making the HOF.

• Content Count:  869

It would be cool to get a football signed by these guys.  I wonder if that is something they have thought about?  An Old school football.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

AWESOME!

• Content Count:  5,691

Congrats for honoring the team

I think it would be awesome to wear the '97 uniforms for a day

• Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

Can we wear our throwbacks??  ;D

I will wear mine  8)

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  2,508

Can we wear our throwbacks??  ;D

What about a "throwback" with our very old school logo?

USFBullsold.gif

A green helmet with this logo on it?

• Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

It would be cool to get a football signed by these guys.  I wonder if that is something they have thought about?  An Old school football.

I'm sure there will be some stuff for the Spring Auction.

I have a old school logo football.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived