• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF wants to require Freshmen to live on campus

hightechbull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

Others that have advocated for the mandatory on-campus freshmen have gone as far to say that they would also say no parking for Freshmen as we have a decent public transportation system to shuttle students around the local area.  These are words of trustee members, not that of Director Cane.

Yeah - I can't see Dr. Kane saying that.  He's know that there are plenty of students that kinda need cars - like out-of-state students (like myself back in the day)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

This is also a clever way of knocking enrollment down a little bit so they don't have to stretch their budget quite as far.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

This is also a clever way of knocking enrollment down a little bit so they don't have to stretch their budget quite as far.

If they want to cut enrollment, then do it and raise standards.  Using this arbitrary requirement risks losing the wrong students.

• Content Count:  2,307

I lived on campus my sophomore year, it was awesome!  I was at the center of it all, couldn't miss anything.  Classes were a walk away, activities were right around the corner.  I decided to move back home after that, but remained just as involved since I wasn't very far from campus.

• Content Count:  5,241

I know they listed that living on campus will help out with a students grades...

I know a lot of people that have lived on campus, and they were the worst students (skipping classes, failing them).

Im not against the whole requiring them to live on campus, but come up with some better reasons why?

• Content Count:  771

If they want to cut enrollment, then do it and raise standards.  Using this arbitrary requirement risks losing the wrong students.

The administration has been raising the standards.... hs seniors keep meeting them is the "problem"

Housing wont curve the enrollment issue. Parents are just as willing to spend the money from year to year to fund their kids housing on campus as long as the state can supplement their tuition via bright futures scholarships.

FYI: Christ froze the incoming rates of freshmen this year for the state because of budget short fall projections.

The administration has been raising the standards.... hs seniors keep meeting them is the "problem"

Housing wont curve the enrollment issue. Parents are just as willing to spend the money from year to year to fund their kids housing on campus as long as the state can supplement their tuition via bright futures scholarships.

FYI: Christ froze the incoming rates of freshmen this year for the state because of budget short fall projections.

Then raise the standards even more.  Make us the toughest school in FL to get into if that's what it takes.  I think Jamie's suggestion was not necessarily that parents would be unwilling to pay the extra for on-campus housing but it might turn some students off.  My point was that you risk turning away top-notch students who are considering USF because of (insert reason to live off-campus here).

There is a reason that there isn't enough money to go around for education, but that is a topic for another day I guess.

• Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Every Freshman should have to experience the charms of Delta Hall, the visual images scared in my brain of walking in on my roomate banging the Hall Do Girl.  Or the terror of my 6'5 300 pound neighbor drunk out of his mind and angry as well swinging a golf club at my roommate because he thought he had slept with his girlfriend.  The fire alarms at 4 am are great too.  I could list more learning experiences for Freshman on campus but I would go on all night

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I wasn't aware that the Lord was so far into the weeds on Florida public education funding.  8)

I wasn't aware that the Lord was so far into the weeds on Florida public education funding.  8)

You can thank the religious right for that one  :D

Archived