• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF wants to require Freshmen to live on campus

hightechbull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

According to this article at The Oracle  http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2007/10/24/News/Freshman.First.Year.Housing.To.Be.Required.At.Usf-3053223.shtml

What is very interesting is that USF has a goal to become classified as a Carnegie Institute "Primarily Residential."

One of the goals in USF's plan is to become classified as a Carnegie Institute "Primarily Residential." To achieve this, 25 percent to 49 percent of the University's degree seeking undergraduates would be required to live on campus.

No other school in the State University System has this classification.

Not even UF or FSU are classified as a Carnegie Institute "Primarily Residential."  Therefore, UF and FSU are "commuter schools".    ;D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771

According to this article at The Oracle  http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2007/10/24/News/Freshman.First.Year.Housing.To.Be.Required.At.Usf-3053223.shtml

What is very interesting is that USF has a goal to become classified as a Carnegie Institute "Primarily Residential."

One of the goals in USF's plan is to become classified as a Carnegie Institute "Primarily Residential." To achieve this, 25 percent to 49 percent of the University's degree seeking undergraduates would be required to live on campus.

No other school in the State University System has this classification.

Not even UF or FSU are classified as a Carnegie Institute "Primarily Residential."  Therefore, UF and FSU would be considered "commuter schools".    ;D

fixed it for ya... ;)

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Is there no residential requirement now? When I transferred to USF I thought that waived my residential requirement. No?

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Is there no residential requirement now? When I transferred to USF I thought that waived my residential requirement. No?

There is not.  When you and I came in they couldn't have housed all the freshmen if they wanted to.

Why are we so obsessed with this commuter label?  Who cares?  Do we really need some seal of approval for "living on campus" from Carnegie Foundation?  I think living on campus is a positive experience and freshmen should be encouraged to do it but there are so many valid reasons for people to not want to live on campus.  Why do we have to put more restrictions on learning?  It is hard enough for most people in this country to get an education as it is.

• Content Count:  2,726

It would not make it hard at all.  Living on campus is not that big of a deal.  The only thing that is bad about it is the price.  The cost of living on campus has been outrageous in recent years, however the proximity to class and others in the same classes bring alot of good to a small amount of bad. 

I think its a great idea...there is a reason EVERY OTHER MAJOR UNIVERSITY DOES IT!!!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  695

I would have been pissed if they made me live on campus, my money is lacking as it is if I had to live on campus i'd be forced to work my ass off. Maybe in a way it would be a good thing though, I would be working right now during my 5 hour break between classes instead of wasting time ******** on the internet because i'd need the money but it wouldn't really be accomplishing anything.

Guest Melissa

I think it's a good idea to require Freshmen to live on-campus. I lived on-campus my first three years at USF as an undergraduate. It was significantly easier to make it to classes and keep up with my coursework. Actually, looking back, my grades improved after I moved off-campus... but I did attend classes more often while living on-campus. Weird. Some of the best (and worst, haha) times of my life were spent in the dorms!

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I think its a great idea...there is a reason EVERY OTHER MAJOR UNIVERSITY DOES IT!!!

Can you back this up, especially for universities in a large metro area?

• Content Count:  19

I lived on campus all 5 1/2 years.  I had the best roommates, the best residence hall, the best parking spot, and had absolutely no desire to live off campus.  But i would've been pissed off if i was kicked off campus so some freshman who doesn't want to be there in the first place can take my place to fill this requirement.

When I did the residence hall tours, I would encourage freshmen to live on campus - but i'd never force them.  On that note - there are some residence halls that are better for freshmen than others.

• Content Count:  771

The requirements that will be imposed shall not effect residents from this county as well, there will be an age restriction as well [below 19yr old.] This can only happen when Magnolia Two opens and there are enough beds to compensate the upperclassmen that choose to stay on campus.

Others that have advocated for the mandatory on-campus freshmen have gone as far to say that they would also say no parking for Freshmen as we have a decent public transportation system to shuttle students around the local area.  These are words of trustee members, not that of Director Cane.

Archived