• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Leavitt Would Like Clarification

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,259
  • Days Won:  10

Clarification #2:  If a ball is launched forward and the officials on the field don't notice it, the replay officials can correct that mistake.

You see?  That is the clarification that CJL is looking for.  Why don't you just e-mail him (as the NCAA spokesperson you are) and this would be over.  I didn't realize that the booth could call a foul when the officials didn't.

You do have a link backing that up, don't you?  Because a lot of people are interested in that including the media.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Recently published excerpt from a Rutgers source:

EXCERPT:

A second special-teams miscue nearly burned RU on its next possession as a 48- yard Ito field-goal attempt was blocked, with the Bulls apparently scooping up the ball and returning it for a touchdown. An official signaled touchdown, but the play immediately went to the booth for a review. It was ruled that the second USF player to touch the ball performed an illegal forward pass and USF gained possession at the RU 44. Eight plays later, the Bulls attempted a 45-yard field goal, but the try was wide left.

Following the game, the two opposing coaches aired opposing views of the call.

"I thought it was illegal touching, moving the ball forward," Schiano said. "I'm a little bit embarrassed about how adamant I was about showing it to the officials, but there was a lot on the line and I really felt strongly about it, so I was going to make it known. I felt this was a tough game to officiate. There was some real speed on that field. Things are moving fast and I thought the officials did a very good job."

South Florida coach Jim Leavitt didn't necessarily agree.

"We blocked a field goal and picked it up and I thought we scored," he said. "Somehow the replay showed we did not score. That would have been a big part of our defense also. I was not in the replay booth and I was certainly disappointed by that, but they have to go what they think is right. That was big, a turn of events of 10 points."

Read the rest of the Edison, NJ Sentinel story

Can someone refer back to the rule book and find a frickin' "illegal touching" rule?  A "moving the ball forward" rule?  Cripes.

Illegal Touching?  I'll have to look that up...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,259
  • Days Won:  10

Recently published excerpt from a Rutgers source:

EXCERPT:

A second special-teams miscue nearly burned RU on its next possession as a 48- yard Ito field-goal attempt was blocked, with the Bulls apparently scooping up the ball and returning it for a touchdown. An official signaled touchdown, but the play immediately went to the booth for a review. It was ruled that the second USF player to touch the ball performed an illegal forward pass and USF gained possession at the RU 44. Eight plays later, the Bulls attempted a 45-yard field goal, but the try was wide left.

Following the game, the two opposing coaches aired opposing views of the call.

"I thought it was illegal touching, moving the ball forward," Schiano said. "I'm a little bit embarrassed about how adamant I was about showing it to the officials, but there was a lot on the line and I really felt strongly about it, so I was going to make it known. I felt this was a tough game to officiate. There was some real speed on that field. Things are moving fast and I thought the officials did a very good job."

South Florida coach Jim Leavitt didn't necessarily agree.

"We blocked a field goal and picked it up and I thought we scored," he said. "Somehow the replay showed we did not score. That would have been a big part of our defense also. I was not in the replay booth and I was certainly disappointed by that, but they have to go what they think is right. That was big, a turn of events of 10 points."

Read the rest of the Edison, NJ Sentinel story

Can someone refer back to the rule book and find a frickin' "illegal touching" rule?  A "moving the ball forward" rule?  Cripes.

Illegal Touching?  I'll have to look that up...

No rule book here, but I thought illegal touching was a receiver coming in from out of bounds and catching a ball before it was touched by a defender.  I think he used the wrong phrase.  At any rate, next year's Rutgers game will certainly be worth watching... ;D

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  73
  • Days Won:  0

I am as big of a fan as anyone, but it looked like that it was totally intentional and scripted.

If we would have gotten away with it...it would be a bit like cheating.  We didn't deserve a TD on that play so I don't feel about about.

We had our chance to win or tie the game and couldnt get it done so we lost.  Thats all.

From NCAA Rule book:

Illegal Touching

ARTICLE 11. No originally ineligible player while inbounds shall

intentionally touch a legal forward pass until it has touched an opponent or

an official (A.R. 5-2-3-I and A.R. 7-3-11-I-III).

PENALTY—Five yards from the previous spot [s16].

There are other illegal touches of one's own kick.  Nothing that would fit what happened Thursday.

This is mostly an offensive "passing or kicking the ball" rule.  So according to Schiano we were passing the ball, but it hit the ground, so it couldn't have been a pass, or illegally touched.  Hard to see McKenzie really reach back and throw that grounder to Williams...  ::)

I am as big of a fan as anyone, but it looked like that it was totally intentional and scripted.

If we would have gotten away with it...it would be a bit like cheating.  We didn't deserve a TD on that play so I don't feel about about.

We had our chance to win or tie the game and couldnt get it done so we lost.  Thats all.

What it looked like and what it is are two different things.  As I posted before...when I first saw it I KNEW it was coming back because McKenzie seemed to have tossed the ball in the direction of Williams (as stupid as that sounds).  Then when the front angle was shown it was clear that it was loose and batted away from him...

So while it may "looked like it was scripted" it could not have been unless the Rutgers player that hit McKenzie was in on the play.

It's that simple.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

On another note, if the Star-Ledger wants to tweak Leavitt for acting up on the sidelines, surely they could mention that Schiano was screaming and yelling and running towards an official every time USF did anything that looked remotely like it could be a penalty.

• Content Count:  58

Unfortunatley, what is done is done.  Nothing will change the final score.  Lets move on and win out the last half off the season.  We still need tp prove we are a top 5 team and deserve a BCS bid.  No matter how we feel in our hearts we still need to prove ourselves to the non-bullievers.  If we lose an other game we are a "great first half story" and will be forgotten until next year.  If we win out and win a BSC game we made our mark.

• Content Count:  509

Leavitt is a cry baby!  We lost.  Why doesn't he just move on.  He doesn't need clarification.

That play was obviously practiced.  McKenzie slowed down on purpose so the Rutgers player could knock the ball loose, then Mckenzie could swing his arm foward and hit the ball.  And we all know McKenzie usually runs with his arms at his sides, not moving.  I mean who swings their arms while running!

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

OH! MY! GOD!

It's over!

Just forget about it and move on!

Sheesh!

You want clarification?  What the hell is there to clarify?

Clarification #1:  You can't intentionally launch a ball forward.

Clarification #2:  If a ball is launched forward and the officials on the field don't notice it, the replay officials can correct that mistake.

We would all like to see the rule that addresses illegal forward launching or illegal forward propelling.  Cite?  Link?

We are aware you cannot have a forward lateral in that situation, but that requires possession (which Jenkins did not have) and intent to lateral the ball (which is arguable about McKenzie as the front view does show his arm being hit).

Archived