• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Press Conference Quotes

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

Media Luncheon Quotes

October 23, 2007

Jim Leavitt

On receiving gifts from the community-

"It takes your breath away. It really does. I don't know how to explain it. I don't know what words I could share. You're so indebted to so many people. You think about that you are able to coach here and do what you're doing which is an honor in itself. And then to have those kinds of things, it really makes you appreciate everybody so much."

On the Rutgers game-

"We lost a tough game. I love our players. They work so hard and I really am proud of them. I'm really proud of the football team. We didn't play our best game. It's probably more my fault than any of the guys. There are a lot of distractions, a lot of things that we probably could've done without maybe, but that happens. Aaron HarrisRutgers played a good game, and made more plays than we did, and that's all there is to it."

On his players-

"Our players are great, they really are. It means a lot to them. They work so hard. Every practice they give everything they have, they do all the right things. I'm proud of them."

On practice and preparation for this week's game-

"Our guys practiced well last night. They always do though. Last night was no different than any Monday that we normally have. They practiced really well and did a good job and came out real focused. We're going to work really hard this week, but that is no different than we ever do. I can't sit here and say are we going to work different this week than we did last week or the week before or the years before that. No, we'll work like we always work. We'll work and prepare and try to get ready to play real good football and clean football and put ourselves in a position to win a football game and if we do enough right things, we will. If we don't, we won't. It's just as simple as that. It's not any more difficult than that. UConn has a very good football team. They are at the top of the conference and they deserve to be there. They've won both games they've played and they're really good. They're big, they're strong, they have a tremendous running game. The quarterback is outstanding. He moves around, he's big, he throws well, he's a great leader. The defense does a good job; they're sixth in the nation. That's strong. Their kicking game is good. They are a very good football team. We'll go out and practice today at three and get ready to play Connecticut."

On focusing on winning the conference-

"They know it is a long hall. There are a lot of games to be played. We just finished the halfway point. There have been so many emotional highs for this football team when you look at. There's a lot of football left to be played. We are just in the BIG EAST season right now. We've played two games in the BIG EAST. Just staying focused on the game, you’re getting ready to play and practice. Those things are really important and we address that."

On coming back after the loss-

"It is big. You want to come back and play awfully good football. It is going to take awfully good football to beat Connecticut. There's no question about that. It is a very big week."

On playing clean football-

"It hurt us a few times. You don't want any penalties really. We gave up too many sacks. You can't let a guy run a ball like he did. You've got to give Rutgers credit, and I've done that, but also we've got to do things better. We've got to play better football if we expect to be competitive and win ball games. You've got to play better football, smarter football."

On the official's calls-

"I was upset about a few calls, no doubt. That happens. I was disappointed. The BIG EAST Conference, they've done a great job in the short time I've been in the BIG EAST. Fast game, things happen, you know."

On his demeanor on the sidelines-

"Calm is what I was really feeling inside to be quite honest with you. I'm a little bit surprised that I was able to handle myself as well as I did. I'm an emotional guy. I'm not a guy who is going to be there and not react. I'm a battler, I'm a competitor, and I love our players. I'll fight for our players. I know sometimes it might not look real charming, but I’m going to battle for our players. When I see things that I think are clearly to me things that I think we're teaching extremely well and they're following through and doing exactly what I'm asking them to do and then things are called, then I'm going to react. Usually not as much but it had built through three calls and I think I was at a point where I just, I don't know. Through 11 years have you seen me like that before? Sure. Probably four or five times over 11 years I would say. Usually it's emotional because I’m happy. I usually don't break out that bad, but I'm a competitor. There was more in me than that. I calmed down and got going again. It was an exciting game, exciting time."

On the criticism of his sideline demeanor-

"I can't change who I am. I don't think you'll see that very often. You just move forward and keep doing the things you think are right."

On replay-

"I think replay is good. I want to understand exactly what you can and cannot replay. I still am a firm believer in replay to get calls right, to get calls correct. There's no doubt that I see things a different way right now, and still am pursuing some things as far as clarifying why this is done and why that is done."

On reviewing film for this week's game-

"You look back at times you have played them and all the tape you have of this year. You use both."

On this week's game-

"The bottom line is every play and who plays best throughout 60 minutes of football. You're looking at two teams that are going to go at it, similar to what you just saw Thursday night. It is going to be very physical, a game like that. Whoever can finish the game and get it done is going to end up coming out on top and I don't think there is any question about that. All factors are going to be important, all things we've talked about." 

On losing-

"When you lose a game that you really have a handle on, and you have a chance it always makes it harder."

On Mike Jenkins-

"He is a lot of fun to watch play and a very talented young man. Everybody likes him."

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

On his demeanor on the sidelines-

When I see things that I think are clearly to me things that I think we're teaching extremely well and they're following through and doing exactly what I'm asking them to do and then things are called, then I'm going to react.

I find this to be the most interesting quote.  What exactly is he referring to here?  Is he referring to the way he teaches the guys to illegally propel the ball upfield after a blocked kick?  What else could he possibly be referring to?  "things we're teach extremely well and they're following through"?  Then "things are called"?

Interesting to say the least.

• Content Count:  2,307

It's kind of obvious.  He's talking about players doing the right thing and the refs ******* them over.

Why do you have to take things into the negative light?

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

"It takes your breath away. It really does. I don't know how to explain it. I don't know what words I could share. You're so indebted to so many people. You think about that you are able to coach here and do what you're doing which is an honor in itself. And then to have those kinds of things, it really makes you appreciate everybody so much."

Are they talking about anything specific that was recently gifted?

• Content Count:  1,479

On the news tonight, they showed a hand-made USF banner with (I think) 1,745 beads by a diabled veteran who lives in New Jersey and showed CJL reading the letter that came w/ it.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

On the news tonight, they showed a hand-made USF banner with (I think) 1,745 beads by a diabled veteran who lives in New Jersey and showed CJL reading the letter that came w/ it.

And at the bottom of the letter in tiny print it said "please get me the hell out of New Jersey".

• Content Count:  7,890

I'm watching this right now and looks like USF and CJL are going to get some answers about the fumble and maybe the BE will be sending us a nice little letter saying "our bad"

Archived