• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

So, When Amarri Graduates...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

None of those guys will be scapegoats if they play hard team-first ball

Playing hard, team-first ball does not eliminate one from being a scapegoat (see Julmiste, Pat). It's all about production. As expectations rise, so does the proliferation of Sunday morning quarterbacks who have all the "cures" to what ails our football team. After Amarri is gone, the odds are pretty good that someone will take his place as a target if we aren't playing near perfect football..... It just goes with the territory.

I agree that playing hard does not completely eliminate you from being a scapegoat.  Julmiste was often targeted because he wasn't that good (although I loved him and everything he stood for... see http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1113826354), but the vitriol was aimed more at the decision makers who refused to give others a shot over Julmiste.

Of course there will always be players who are lambasted on this board, especially when things don't go well.  But for me, and many others, seeing someone with Amarri's physical gifts mail it in on a game by game basis and play (blatantly) lazy, selfish football is enough to piss you off just a little.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

\

he does block down field well

I am glad someone brought this up.

Except he doesn't block downfield all that well

I guess that I imagined a couple of blocks which freed up a runner.

Yeah, you are.  The block that everyone kept citing, Taylor basically had to push Amarri into the defender (and even then Amarri basically just fell over).  Dig up that video on Youtube or whatever if you wish, he just wasn't trying that hard.

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

****, I thought you were gonna ask if he would be able to hold onto the diploma.

****, I thought you were gonna ask if he would be able to hold onto the diploma.

:D  I almost fell out of my chair... bravo

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

Playing hard, team-first ball does not eliminate one from being a scapegoat (see Julmiste, Pat). It's all about production. As expectations rise, so does the proliferation of Sunday morning quarterbacks who have all the "cures" to what ails our football team. After Amarri is gone, the odds are pretty good that someone will take his place as a target if we aren't playing near perfect football..... It just goes with the territory.

I agree that playing hard does not completely eliminate you from being a scapegoat.  Julmiste was often targeted because he wasn't that good (although I loved him and everything he stood for... see http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1113826354), [glow=yellow,2,300]but the vitriol was aimed more at the decision makers who refused to give others a shot over Julmiste.[/glow]

Not so fast, my friend. Both Carlton Hill and Courtney Denson were given shots by the decision makers and they failed. The vitriol was really aimed more at the decision makers for not having anyone better to give a shot to ..... although I'm sure the decision makers thought they had THE guy in Hill.....

I agree that playing hard does not completely eliminate you from being a scapegoat.  Julmiste was often targeted because he wasn't that good (although I loved him and everything he stood for... see http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1113826354), [glow=yellow,2,300]but the vitriol was aimed more at the decision makers who refused to give others a shot over Julmiste.[/glow]

Not so fast, my friend. Both Carlton Hill and Courtney Denson were given shots by the decision makers and they failed. The vitriol was really aimed more at the decision makers for not having anyone better to give a shot to ..... although I'm sure the decision makers thought they had THE guy in Hill.....

Do you really in your heart of hearts believe that those two guys got legit shots at the starting job?  Denson had his chance starting his first game ever at QB in Happy Valley and was pulled quickly (although he was not good, that was a helluva spot for ANYONE to come in and play well), and C-Hill (I was never much of a fan personally) got his first real time against the best defensive line recent memory.  I'm not saying neither of these guys were considered but I don't think either of them got a fair shake (NOT that I think either of them were all that great anyway).

Regardless, you are right.  When Amarri is long gone the scorn will be heaped on others.  I just think Amarri is worthy at the moment.

• Content Count:  5,236
  • Days Won:  2

he's laid some good blocks downfield... one specific example comes to mind on BBQ's long run in the FAU game.

whether he does it "well" or not pretty much depends on whether he does it consistently or not, and aside from a few examples i dont really come away from games saying "**** that Amarri can really block."

one thing he doesnt do well, or at least consistently, is catch the freakin ball.  he has made some good plays this year, and he has dropped quite a few others.  i could live without spectacular plays if we just had a guy that could catch the ball and sustain drives.

but don't get it twisted... Amarri is not the only receiver on our team that has come down with a case of the dropsies.  every receiver on this team has dropped passes they shouldn't have... some more than others, and Amarri is probably one of those "some."

personally, i think Amarri takes alot of heat because he is the senior of our receiving core.  we've known him for years now, we've seen what he can do (Louisville 2005), but he doesn't do it every game... he just isn't consistent.  that said, i still think he is one of our best 3 receivers and has earned his spot in the starting lineup.

with TJ out, we'll get to see more of Mitchell and Bogan and get a better idea of who's gonna step in to fill the hole when Amarri graduates.

• Content Count:  1,451
  • Days Won:  0

Ummmm.... Pat Julmiste sucked. Amarri is good, but he can't be dropping passes half the time and expect not to catch heat.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

Ummmm.... Pat Julmiste sucked. Amarri is good, but he can't be dropping passes half the time and expect not to catch heat.

Ummmm ... actually, Amarri suffers from the same malady that Pat did when he played .... consistency. Both showed they can play but didn't/aren't doing it on a game in, game out basis.

• Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

hopefully he won't drop his degree.

Archived