What's New
  • USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

SportsNetwork.com - Expect low scoring

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  91,082
  • Days Won:  378

CFB - When a push is not a push

by Jeff Frank, Sports Analyst

Two over/under plays highlight the rest of this week's picks. South Florida looks to bounce back after losing for the first time this season, and must do so against a Connecticut squad that came from behind to defeat Louisville last week.

The Huskies are 6-1 with their only loss coming to Virginia on the road. They have allowed only 89 points the entire season for an average of 13 per game and can score themselves after picking up 36 per game in their first four FBS contests. However, they have averaged less than 20 the last two weeks, and the odds are slim they will score more than 17 against South Florida's defense.

The Bulls might not score more than 17 either against a Connecticut "D" that held high-flying Louisville to only 17 points. True, the game was played in poor weather conditions, but the Cardinals had not scored under 28 in any game the entire season. Two years ago, these two teams met in East Hartford and the final tally that day was 15-10 in favor of the Huskies. Expect a similar total this Saturday.

Take the UNDER.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  76
  • Days Won:  0

Well if its a low scoring affair who would you think would benefit most from that?

• Content Count:  7,950
  • Days Won:  20

The lower the score the better for the Huskies.  In a low scoring game, like last time, a couple broken lpays for scores can win the game.  If we can get 24+ points, I do not see the Huskies matching that output. 

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

The lower the score the better for the Huskies.  In a low scoring game, like last time, a couple broken lpays for scores can win the game.  If we can get 24+ points, I do not see the Huskies matching that output. 

At least without an unfair catch TD.

I agree. what are the chances Grothe can run with those quick linebackers of theirs? JAckson can make the upfield blocks but some of their guys are fast. I see them containing and forcing him to throw out of the pocket.

I think Alvarado is underrated as a Punter that kid can definitely get the ball downfield and with accuracy. The coverage team leaves me wondering.  I hope they prepare for some gadget plays because as evidenced by Rutgers beating us and Uconn beating Louisville. It takes more than just fundamental plays to beat the better teams in the BE.  Not to downplay what Uconn has accomplished but I don't think they compare to USF, WVU, Louisville, or Cinci. Regardless of rankings.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Before anyone gets to bent out of shape about our offense's ability to move the ball on UCONN's defense, let's also keep in mind that most of those stats came against those nationally recognized stellar offenses of:

Duke.....#92 Offense

Temple .#103

Akron #..#99

VA.....# 90

Pitt....#82

and

D1AA Maine  #111 out of about 125 in their division.

Yes, they held UL down, but it was a driving rain most of the night and Urrutia is still out and Douglass played sparingly.

It will be a challenge, but we should be able to put points on the board against them.  Their defense is not as good as WVU's, Auburn's or Rutgers.

• Content Count:  3,024
  • Days Won:  6

I agree. what are the chances Grothe can run with those quick linebackers of theirs? JAckson can make the upfield blocks but some of their guys are fast. I see them containing and forcing him to throw out of the pocket.

Who is this Jackson you speak of that blocks?  I know it's no one in our receiving corps....

Who is this Jackson you speak of that blocks?  I know it's no one in our receiving corps....

I think we know who it is.

Archived