• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF alumnus thinks the Bulls are overrated and wants them to fail.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

My alma mater is overrated

By Tony Marquis/Sun Columnist

I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but I'm a University of South Florida alumnus.

Yes, the same USF that is No. 2 in the BCS, with a remaining schedule softer than the synthetic grass at Tiger Stadium. Yes, the same USF which started its program 11 years ago and needed a trailer for its football offices. Yes, the same USF which has captured the hearts and attention of the country.

But I'm one of few USF alumni who don't care.

In fact, I'd prefer the Bulls to lose a few games and return to where they belong: In the cellar of the Big East. As an afterthought. Out of the list of college football's most overrated teams.

Why? Because I'm a cynical sportswriter. And I appreciate some level of normalcy.

So let me, a local columnist, attempt to lead the national outrage.

Like Baylor or even the NFL's Arizona Cardinals, some teams are just supposed to be bad. Those teams make it easier for people like me to identify the good teams.

Just look at the polls  they’re in disarray.

For some reason, people fell in love with USF's overtime win against Auburn, a team that started the season so poorly it lost to Mississippi State.

Then the Bulls beat West Virginia, a team which had its last quality win last season against Georgia Tech in the Gator Bowl.

USF beat Central Florida, 64-12, a win so impressive it moved  in the Associated Press poll  past ACC member Boston College, which defeated Notre Dame.

USF's other wins are against Elon, Florida Atlantic and North Carolina.

That's a team that deserves to play for the national championship?

I know the college football world has been shaken up by constant defeats of Top 3 teams, but AP voters, coaches and the BCS computers need to shut down, have their hard drives blown on and start up again.

The Bulls aren't even the best team in Florida. At least I hope they're not.

USF is supposed to be the Texas Tech of Florida, forever mired in a lack of success. It's what I'm comfortable with.

I like trying to explain the University of South Florida is in Tampa, Fla., which is not in the south part of Florida but more in central Florida. But it's not really Central Florida  the University of, that is.

I like randomly wearing my USF T-shirts, knowing I won't see one on a kid at Wal-Mart, and if I want, I can use it to clean my car.

I like seeing the “Sign of the Goat,†a heavy metal hand gesture with the pinky and forefinger raised with the thumb holding the middle and ring finger down, and knowing it's somebody saying “Hook 'Em Horns.†Not, “Go Bulls.â€Â

If the Bulls win, I can kiss those feelings goodbye.

Anyone who has heard an awesome band for the first time, then gone out get its CD, listen to it constantly, only to have the band's song played in an iPod commercial knows this feeling.

Your favorite band is suddenly everbody's favorite. Hipster dweebs are wearing the band's name on T-shirts and you can't go a mile down the road without hearing it blaring on someone's radio. Even NBC, FOX and CBS are using it in sports promos.

That's how you know a song is dead.

Don't be the latest fad, USF, at least for my sake.

I like my drinks cold, my music loud and my Bulls, lousy.

Either take it to dynasty levels or forget about it. Since you're not winning one or even two anytime in my lifetime, just give up. Tank.

Here's to the Bulls losing out  because I just can't handle that type of success.

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/local_story_288035852.html?keyword=topstory

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  39

What a tool.  Here is his article http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/local_story_288035852.html?keyword=topstory

and here is my write-up on him. http://bullsindex.blogspot.com/2007/10/tony-marquis-loves-his-alma-mater-he.html

This guy is lucky he's in Texas and not Florida.

• Content Count:  12,293

what a joke.  he is just looking for attention.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

This guy must have had a certain USF professor as a teacher, and then believed every word he said.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

This guy clearly doesn't get it.  They should take back his degree.  What true fan would root for his team to lose?

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

LOL!!  that "newspaper" (if we can call it that) must be struggling for material, cuz that article is total ****.

where the hell is Corsicana, anyway?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,741
  • Days Won:  3

..But I'm one of few USF alumni who don't care.

The fact that you recognize you're one of the few who don't care,

really speaks volumes.

And remember, not unlike the Dork from Disney who trolled USF' athletic

facility and campus last week, this guy's screaming for attention.

And you know....coolin' your jets in the wastelands south of Fort Worth,

maybe this is a way to get some attention. Anyway, hope he's not sitting

by the phone just waiting for the call from Sports Illustrated... :box

• Content Count:  39

LOL!!  that "newspaper" (if we can call it that) must be struggling for material, cuz that article is total ****.

where the hell is Corsicana, anyway?

To answer your question, about 80-100 miles south of Dallas

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=corsicana,+tx&ie=UTF8&ll=32.029035,-96.580811&spn=1.916273,4.328613&z=9&iwloc=addr&om=1

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Same type of guy that wore a UF hat to every class his entire time in Tampa.  Douche.

Archived