• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Nick Saban full of Bull with rip of South Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/10/04/2007-10-04_nick_saban_full_of_bull_with_rip_of_sout-1.html

**** Weiss

South Florida should have seen this coming. The unbeaten Bulls (4-0) are the new kids on an already crowded block, incredible for a program that is only 11 years old. South Florida crossed into uncharted territory this week when it moved up to No.6 the AP poll following a 21-13 victory over West Virginia last Friday night.

It hasn't taken long for opposing coaches - such as Bobby Bowden of Florida State, who said he would be amazed if the Bulls maintained their poll position - to offer some raised eyebrows, and in the case of Alabama coach Nick Saban, fire a shot at USF's admissions policy.

"There are a significant amount of players who don't qualify and they end up being pretty good players at some other schools," Saban said in an interview with the Birmingham News. "I think there are six guys starting on the South Florida defense who probably would have gone to Florida or Florida State, but Florida and FSU couldn't take them."

Cheap shot?

It certainly came off that way to USF coach Jim Leavitt, a rising star who did not care for someone dumping mud on his team's historic accomplishment.

"(Saban) and I have always had a good relationship, but to sit there and tell the world something that he doesn't know about is not right," Leavitt said at his weekly press conference in Tampa. "Six defensive starters? Why's he making a statement like that? Florida, Florida State didn't recruit those guys anyway.

"Why that bothers me is it takes a hit at the credibility of our program that we can't do it with just hard work. There always has to be some reason. That is the heart and soul of our program. So he's attacking the heart and soul."

Leavitt claimed he had two non-qualifiers on his 110-man roster and both are on track to graduate. He offered to resign if those facts weren't true. And it looked particularly petty of Saban when The Tampa Tribune pointed out that USF freshmen running backs Jamar Taylor and Mike Ford both initially signed with Alabama. Taylor enrolled in January before transferring to be closer to his family. Ford signed, but didn't qualify and needed prep school.

Leavitt's players were equally irate. Center Nick Capogna said it was "personally insulting" to all USF players and questioned how Saban got that information. "Did he open up our records?" Capogna asked.

Hey, every school has its own mission. Not everyone is Harvard, not even Alabama. As long as these players are eligible under NCAA standards, why should anyone else care?

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Good article.  Saban is an arse... always has been, always will.  His team is going the wrong way fast, and that is the last place you want that to happen.  Job security = 0.

• Content Count:  1,911

Who cares what OSaban Bin Laden has to say.  hit the bricks buddy. 

• Content Count:  1,451

I can't wait to dominate some more teams to shut these A-holes (Saban and Bowden) up!

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

R.I.P. FAU

I'll be attending the funeral on Saturday at 3:30.  If anyone else would like to attend tickets are getting sparse. Contact stub hub and bargin with the vultures tearing at the owl meat.

• Content Count:  60

R.I.P. FAU

I'll be attending the funeral on Saturday at 3:30.  If anyone else would like to attend tickets are getting sparse. Contact stub hub and bargin with the vultures tearing at the owl meat.

Enjoy the brief stop at #6, because # 18 is waiting on you, & will still be warm when you guys get back there on Sunday.  ;D

• Content Count:  19,229

R.I.P. FAU

Thanks for the laugh... been a busy day at work and needed the pick-me-up. ;)

Enjoy the brief stop at #6, because # 18 is waiting on you, & will still be warm when you guys get back there on Sunday.  ;D

• Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

bowden will be retired before end of decade

and saban will carpetbag his way to another job

• Content Count:  5,903

I really hate to say it... but, I think a lot of the Boys in Green will be taking a lot of this out on FAU.

Archived