• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Let's talk football now.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Defense: How fun is it to consistently rush just 4 and allow the LBs to roam the field. Lots of big hits, pretty good tackling, and obviously lots of big plays. As long as the offense does its part with T.O.P, this defense looks like it will be special all year.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,234
  • Days Won:  10

Our offense has no rythm right now.  It is like they have been trying lots of combinations but not yet found the right one.  Yes, I agree Grothe has not had any opportunities hardly to throw on first down for over 20 yards. 

Ford is good, he just had some bad luck I would say one is his fault one is not.  Taylor is a machine and I hope we start to mix it up. 

Our offensive line is doing ok.  Seriously, we need to make those kicks because they help put the game out of reach.

Two good games next with the difficultly level rising.  FAU we should be able to open up the passing more once they bring players into the box to stop Taylor, Ford, Samuels, and Williams.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Yeah T Man, I think everyone saw it.  Trae has been inconsistent at times this season.  Elon took advantage of him a bit, but then last week versus UNC he was one of the best players on the field.  He made play after play against the Tarheels.  But again with WVU he was a step or two off.

I just re-watched the game and Jerome Murphy was all over the place, as was Tyrone McKenzie.  Of course Moffit was too, but those other guys made some seriously good plays and kept WVU in behind the chains downs.  Also, Nate Allen was impressive in the secondary as well.  What a fun Defense to watch.  And Ray Jay was loud on TV, really loud.  The commentators said a few times that it was deafening. 

• Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

I think it's important to remember that some of our offensive issues should be attributed to WVU's defense being underrated, and the way the game played out.

The fact that Ford stopped getting carries wasn't just the fumble...but also 1) the score was really tight and we were trying too hard to NOT make mistakes 2) We had some other options...notably that Taylor was moving the pile all night.

The staff knows the raw talent they have in Ford...but he's still a freshman. You may think that it could negatively effect his psyche to be taken out...but it would have been worse if he dropped the ball a few more times. I would expect to see alot of him against FAU because we need to "right the ship" before we get back into the conference schedule.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I also have been noticing Trae Williams' struggles this season.

Hope he locks it up before Rutgers & Cincy

• Content Count:  4,501

I don't think the "Ford is only a Freshman" is a legit excuse.  He really needs to hold on to the ball and he will be outstanding.

I know now why JL was so excited to get Jamar Taylor.  He is just awesome.  Runs with power between the tackles and has a good burst of speed.  He is the kind of RB that you can finish a game with.

For folks that have gotten to watch the game on TV  How has Robinson done ?  I have noticed him in sometimes but it seems like limited duty right now.  Is he playing LB or on the line ?

Louis Gatche(SP ?)  is a monster.  His hits are unreal.

Who is backing up Clerbert(SP ?) -  I know he has been great on the D line but I was just wondering how his back-up has looked because he has looked worn out numerous time.

• Content Count:  2,523

I deleted this from another thread as it was better placed here...

-Outside of the drive to open the second half, Grothe looked like a young QB and at times was terrible and that goes alot back to the coaching staff not pulling in the reigns on him a little.  Best evidenced by us getting the big turnover on WVUs side of the field and then on the first play Grothe going deep for the INT when all we needed at that point in the game was RUN RUN RUN to spell the defense. 

Matt's a great QB, but he's still young and playing in the biggest game of his life witha ton of adrenaline.  You could see it all night long on his deep balls where he was firing it as hard as he could (adrenaline) which made his passes get there fast, but FLAT, totally negating the advantage of our height mismatches. 

If a QB is doing this, it means he's not calm and too pumped up as putting air under the ball is all about touch which shows you where their head is at.  Until he could do that, they needed to keep him to slants and outs where sharp, flat passes work best.

He'll get better as he gets more and more experience so I'm not worried about it.  But eventually, not scoring points off of these turnovers is going to cost us so I hope the coaches put him adn the offense in better situations to keep them from shooting themselves in the foot.

Another thing, brought up to me by a buddy watching the game (FSU fan), noticed that EVERYONE on this team carries the ball incorrectly.  EVERY RB, WR, even Matt, when they run they have the ball only secured with one arm when they get ready to take a hit.  I can see one arm in the open field, but when you go through a line or are approaching a spot where you are for sure going to take a hit, you've got to wrap the ball up with both arms.  Someone has to address this bc that's where a majority of the turnovers are preventable.

-Defense-EVERY position is playing within the scheme and that's why it's working and it all starts with being able to get consistent pressure from those front 4.  I'd like to see more stunts against running QBs on 3rd/4th and a mile to prevent the type of runs we saw late in the game.  When we have a traditional rush on and LBs dropping deep, there's a good 8-10 yards of NO MAN'S LAND if the opposing Oline actually holds the pocket.

-RBs-Taylor should be the #1 back now, with Williams second and Ford for short yardage/goal line.  Until Ford can carry the ball 20-30 times between fumbles; his risk outweighs his reward in comparison with Taylor, especially when we're on our own side of the field.

-WRs-We are grossly misutilizing our WRs...TJ and Hester should be running the slants and WR screens and Jackson should be used on deep JUMP BALLS or in the redzone.  this comes back to Grothe as well.  You have a 6'5" WR who can jump.  PUT SOME AIR UNDER IT.  The DBs are consistently 6-10 inches shorter which means an advantage of about 1-2 feet on a jump ball.  Put it high so if Amarri doesn't get it, it's over everyone's head.  Putting it high, decreases the INT risk substantially and ups the percentage of a complete pass or at worst, pass interference.

-Bootlegs-This is how I think we should be using Matt's speed more so than running the ball.  With the speed at WR we have, getting Matt outside the pocket puts the D in a terrible situation.  If they all go back, it's an easy 8-10 yards, if they come up, chances are someone is open and could be open very deep.  This is a better use of his legs now than QB draws/options with the running game we have.  Most runs on the draws are only going for 2-3 yards with longer runs coming on passing plays that broke down (ie sending guys deep and then running).  Teams are ready for his draws now so if we want to run, better to line up and jam it down their throats.  No reason to risk injury to Matt for 3 yards we could get with our RB corp.  Am I saying don't run Matt?  No, not at all.  But no way he should be close to 20 carries anymore with the RBs we have.

• Content Count:  3,827

Ruger knows his ****.

Carry on...

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Just to clarify, Ford had not one but two fumbles.  Actually, I think it was three but I can't remember the second one clearly.  He wasn't merely benched because of one fumble.  Also, I think he would have still been more involved if Taylor wasn't available as an option.  I believe Ford was holding a slight edge since he was able to practice in the spring, but Taylor has closed the gap.

• Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

My $.02. 

Grothe - should be a surprise runner. Only on broken plays and occasionally run a draw. We try that play way to often. On his passing, MECHANICS. Both int's were thrown short because he was throwing off his back foot. WVU is not the best "D" we'll see.

Ford - Don't fumble. No excuses. Great runner, good vision, great finish to the run. DO NOT FUMBLE!

Amarri - Catch first.

We're #6! It ain't all bad!

GO BULLS!

FINISH STRONG!

Archived