• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Scheduling Question- Who is going to want to play us?

usf97

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I know we are all high on this season....but I was thinking yesterday, with all these "upsets" who the heck is going to want to play us. I think all of our games against BCS conference teams were set prior to last year's UWV win (i.e. Indiana, NC State, Michgan State). Maybe the Miami series was inked after that. Anyway, I know 08 is set. If AD Wollard follows his formula 2 BCS, 2 Non BCS and 1 I-AA, we are pretty much set for BCS teams till 2011. But what non-BCS teams are to want to schedule us now? I can't imagine UNC or Auburn were expecting losses when they signed their deals. I trust Doug Wollard will find someone interested. I remember last year their was talk about us signing with Ball State and Western Kentucky but I would think those would have to be 2 for 1's. Maybe Zook with Illinois would want some recruiting trips down here and sign a 1 for 1 but I don't see any sexy names out there that would really want to play ball.

The point of all this rambling is we are at a unique situation right now, I think the perception out there is we are like a new Boise State but unlike them we are in a BCS conference. Any thoughts from the scheduling gurus?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I can think of two non-BCS teams that would schedule us. UCiF and Southern Piss. Also, we could get FAU and FIU.

• Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

I can think of two non-BCS teams that would schedule us. UCiF and Southern ****. Also, we could get FAU and FIU.

Why would we want to schedule FAU or FIU? It does nothing for us or our SOS. IF we are going to continue on our path and get into the "Big Boys" yard, we need to have a consistently strong/difficult strength of schedule every year. Some of the games we have on the books are set already (Florida twice, Miami 7 times, etc) but we need to get out of the 2 BCS, 2 Non-BCS, 1 AA mentality. I don't mind having the 1 AA guys now and again, after all we were THOSE guys in our not so distant past, but I don't want them there every season. Give me 3 BCS teams or 4 BCS teams ... make it challenging because when you are challenged you improve your game. We want our boys to succeed, and "easy" wins are not helping them to make those improvements we need when it counts.

Just ask Rutgers ... and, incidentally, I told you guys they were over-rated. Not to discount them, but they hadn't played any good/known teams up until Sat, and you see what happened. I said I wouldn't be convinced they were a threat until after I saw them play against a quality opponent, and now I can back that up.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I agree about maybe leaning away from the 2 BCS 2 Non-BCS and 1 I-AA formula. If we could start to sustain a significant spike in the attendance I also would like to shift to 7 home games and 5 away, especially in the even years when we have the 4 lesser drawing teams from the Big East. I know this is a pipe dream but I wonder if Auburn would be interested in trying to avenge that loss and do a 1 and 1. It would be a nice roadie for them. I would not mind signing a 1 and 1 with UNLV but that really has more to do with having another excuse to go back out to Vegas than anything USF.  >:D

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Why would we want to schedule FAU or FIU?

Simple reason: we can get a 2 for 1 deal from them and with this unseen level of interest in the program it won't matter who we play at home because people will show up.

Why would we want to schedule FAU or FIU?

Simple reason: we can get a 2 for 1 deal from them and with this unseen level of interest in the program it won't matter who we play at home because people will show up.

I agree that we could get the deal, that would be a no-brainer from them. But I again stress that it doesn't do anything for OUR program and the direction Leavitt has been taking it. Each year we are trying to get better and bigger teams on the schedule in order to boost our SOS and raise the level of our program. Taking on mid-majors too much/often reduces our SOS. This is nothing against FAU or FIU and I don't mind if we play them, but I wouldn't want to have any long contract with either team because it doesn't help our program.

That being said, I think that Auburn would be a great addition to our litany. Their fans want it too, and not for "revenge" factor that some of you might think but because they honestly enjoyed playing against us and hanging out with our fans. I know, I was there. If any of you have been on their board you know they would be in favor of this as well. Whether it would happen, who knows, but it isn't that big of a road trip (about 7 hours) and I know the AU fans would come here not to mention the local AU fans already. Adding an respectable SEC team like AU to our schedule is a positive, even if we lost ... where if we were to lose to an FAU or FIU it would hurt us significantly.

• Content Count:  92

As somebody said earlier, teams are going to want to come to Tampa because it will look good for their SOS and Tampa is a prime area for recruiting.  However, we need to take care of business and everything else will fall into place.  As far as potential teams who could play us in Tampa, we can schedule a cream-puff game as a pay day for smaller schools in addition to solid middle-rank BCS teams such as NC State, Illinois, Washington State, and Kansas State (which would be interesting to say the least) in home-and-home series.

• Content Count:  22

LSU's director has been quoted as saying he is looking for teams to fill the schedule. problem is the cheap ass doesn't want to give a home/home.

Pitbull - Sounds a lot like UF to me ;) They gave us a two game series ... but we have to go THERE both times (which is crap). I'd welcome any SEC team on our schedule as it is great competition and as I said even if we lost it would not hurt us in the long run as much as a loss to FAU, FIU or similar school.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

Most schools are afraid to play The BULLS in Tamplona.

Archived