• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the read option.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

Would a 4-4 defensive formation stop the read option WVU uses?I think this is what Wally uses to slow them down but we use a saftey instead of a LBer.

If the QB makes his read depending on what the DE does what happens when the DE stays in his lane and have a LB rt there behind him?Then you have two LB in the middle protecting the inside of the Def.

If I can figure this  out Im sure Wally and CJL can.This is why we will win again.

Of course you will still need speed...but  we  have  plenty of that.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

So much is going to depend on our corners.  If they run any play action at all they'll be going 1 on 1 much of the night.  I have more confidence in Jenkins than Williams.  Trae has lucked out a few times this year when the opposing quarterback overthrew open receivers.  He tends to gamble more.  Makes for INTs but you can also get burned.  If they can cover 1 on 1, we'll have enough to slow down the running game.

As for the running game, everyone needs to stay in their lanes.  Our guys are quick and love to pursue from the back side.  Reverses could kill us tonight.  Our outside backers are quick but they aren't running down Slaton or the freshman.

• Content Count:  651

As long as we are assignment sound on defense, we'll be fine! A lot of people are underestimating our defensive speed! I'm not worried about our pass coverage at all, just have to slow down White, Slaton, and Devine!!!

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No stick to your base defense. The teams that always change their defense to stop the option gets beat.

Cover your man (or zone) and you can stop the option. When someone bites on on the incorrect read they gey burned...

• Content Count:  563

No stick to your base defense. The teams that always change their defense to stop the option gets beat.

Cover your man (or zone) and you can stop the option. When someone bites on on the incorrect read they gey burned...

I think you  are  wrong.

How would most Defensive schemes built to stop Normal drop back passing  also stops the option play?It doesnt make sense.When RU played Navy they were talking about how are it is to prepare for Navy because not many ppl run the option.Now you have WVU that has the perfect players for that system and tht makes it that much harder.To bad we have the perfect players and system to stop it!!

I think will we see 8 guys around the LOS alot tonight...Therefor pretty much making it a 4-4 Defense.

No I'm not. Very few teams are going to go to a 4-4 against this spread option. They might cheat a safety, but USF and most team will stick with their base defense. And make the read on defense as to whether to bring a DB in closer.

• Content Count:  1,165

With all due respect, I don't think you are smarter than almost every D-coordinator that WVU has played

• Content Count:  20,995
  • Days Won:  38

Hehe I don't think anyone claims to be smarter, just getting into it by scheming on their own.  What if this what if that?

...most DCs wouldn't go to a 4-4 against WVU.....

Archived