• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ant Henry talking about his team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/sep/28/sp-bulls-will-rise-to-the-challenge/?sports-colleges-bulls

Bulls Will Rise To The Challenge

By BRETT McMURPHY, The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 28, 2007

Anthony Henry was on the University of South Florida's inaugural team. He started four years and remains USF's only four-year captain. As a Cleveland Browns rookie in 2001, he led the NFL with 10 interceptions. Now in his seventh NFL season and third with the Dallas Cowboys, Henry, 30, has an NFL-best four interceptions. He talked about the evolution of USF's program and tonight's West Virginia game.

It's amazing how far South Florida has come. Even though it's come so quickly, it doesn't surprise me because of the great job by Coach Jim Leavitt, the players, coaches and university. It was a great ride when I was there. I'm blessed to be a part of what was started at USF.

They're doing an outstanding job down there. Coach Leavitt really pushed us to get our education more than anything, and having a foundation like that says a lot about the program.

No question my favorite memory was running out of the tunnel for that first game against Kentucky Wesleyan. I've never felt that way ever again. I was just excited to have an opportunity to play football.

Early in my NFL career people would get South Florida mixed up with Central Florida. But not anymore since we've been playing on ESPN and now getting ranked. The school also is getting a lot more respect from guys on the Cowboys.

I look back at all the guys we had at USF and the situations we were in and see how much the university has built up. Just to see the program grow is still amazing. It's a different feel, a great feeling. When you see the current players walk around, I'm like 'this is really USF?'

I knew the first sellout would eventually happen. It was all a matter of time.

I think it will be a great game, but we have to slow down the run. West Virginia is very good on offense, but I feel our guys are up for the challenge. We have a swagger about us. As underdogs, we rise to the challenge. We won at West Virginia last year, beat Louisville two years ago. We can play with anybody. Anything can happen.

I'm going to sit back and watch it in Dallas. I won't give you a score, but, oh yeah, we're going to win.

• Content Count:  3,403

I didn't know he led the NFL in INTs his rookie year.  That's impressive.

• Content Count:  12,293

Anthony is a great ambassador to USF both on the field and off of it.

• Content Count:  12,293

yea, and he didnt win Rookie of the Year.  Deltha O Neil won, but thats who Ant was tied with for the INT lead i believe.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

well yeah-- 10 is a lot.

He had 4 in one game alone

one of the best players we've ever had--- he's a quality dude.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Ant should definitely have all the DFW area alumni over to his house for a watch party.  ;D

• Content Count:  73

****...I am down for that.  I probably live pretty close to him...I am about 3 miles from the stadium and Parcells lived across the street from me last year.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Hmmm. Is there anywhere that USF people gather to watch these games? The Dallas chapter of the alumni association seems, regrettably, pretty weak.

• Content Count:  102

yea, and he didnt win Rookie of the Year.  Deltha O Neil won, but thats who Ant was tied with for the INT lead i believe.

No actually he was tied with Ronde Barber for most INTs...but not bad company to be in for a rookie.

• Content Count:  5,691

Hmmm. Is there anywhere that USF people gather to watch these games? The Dallas chapter of the alumni association seems, regrettably, pretty weak.

sounds like you 2 should start a watch party

Archived