• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

A question for current students or recent grads

charlie11

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

And this obviously was a long time ago, but goes with the discussion of USF's history with race, that we were the first integrated university in Florida. That was from the 50th anniversery DVD last year.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  698

I had some racial tension when I was at USF with the hippies and those of us that don't think its right to employ a terrorist!

Majority of my classes had former military people in them, but I was a Crim major.

• Content Count:  17

Im not sure hippies are a racial/ethnic group. ;) I think thats just the everyday, normal political tension that exsist everywhere in the United Divided States of America.

I had some racial tension when I was at USF with the hippies and those of us that don't think its right to employ a terrorist!

Majority of my classes had former military people in them, but I was a Crim major.

• Content Count:  400

As people have said already, a lot of non-trads at USF.  That's one of the things i like about USF-- the diversity in ages.  Now that we are developing a campus, i think USF is good for the nontrad.  You get the best of both worlds.  You go to school and feel like you're on an actual college campus, but unlike many schools, there is ample parking (assuming you get there on time).  Like UF/FSU, the immediate area is 'collegiate' and feels like a pseudo-collegetown.  however, if you dont live in the immediate area, you can go back to your suburban lifestyle.. i like not living in the immediate USF area.  it's like a live 2 lives-- the suburban life and the collegetown life.

• Content Count:  2,118

I recently graduated on August 11th. I loved my time at USF and whoever said race is a problem is simply a jackass! USF is great institution to accomplish your degree.

• Content Count:  64

I'm almost sold on attending USF but I would like some opinions please. I'm a non traditional student due to spending my 20's in the Army,  and my major concern is not being able to relate to too many of the younger students. Is there a lot of older students?

What about race relations? I've heard some bad things about USF and race. As I've said I come from a Army background [i believe the military is the most intergrated institution in America] and I would prefer to not have to deal with large populations of ignorance.

I thought I'd would go straight to the source for answers. :)

I am an Afican American male, who received my Bachelor's (2001) and Master's Degree (2006) from USF.  I also work at USF and have worked here for 7 years.  There were a fair number of older students in most of my classes, but I wouldn't worry about relating to the younger students.  For the most part you are going to run into a lot of people who are in your same situation you are especially with MacDill Air Force Base being here in town.  You are going to have your share of people you will and won't get along with, but I can say my experiences were mostly positive in that regard.

When it comes to race relations, I never really had any big problems dealing with race during my time at USF.  Of course I ran into some ignorant people (they are allowed to attend school as well) from time to time who may have come from an area that didn't have many people of other cultures, so they had their opinions formed by TV or public stereotypes.  You can't really do much with those people, but they are not the majority here at all.  You are probably referring to the situation with the woman's basketball coach several years ago, that got a lot of attention, but I wouldn't say that was the overall feeling of the USF community.  Racism exists and schools and organizations don't want to deal with it if they can help it, and I think where people were outraged was due to the fact that an investigation was conducted before this incident became public to gauge race relations at the university and the investigator allegedly found a problem with the women's basketball team and the administration allegedly didn't want to read it.  I don't know how true it is, but the situation was resolved with the coach being dismissed.

I lived in Tallahassee before I came to USF, and this area is light years ahead of Tallahassee when it comes to race relations.  You will enjoy your time here if you come. 

• Content Count:  17

I'm pretty set on attending. Thanks to everyone who replied.

I'm a twenty seven year old former Marine who transferred here. It's great and I have no problems. As a transfer I didn't need to take alot of prereq courses most freshman would take, but have a couple now in my second to last semester. Sure, they are only one summer removed from High School, but it makes it funny. Anyway, their silliness is taking place in finite math or other rediculous intro courses. Dialog and relationship at every other level is fine.

And from my experience, it's very diverse age wise, so you won't ever feel like the old person. What's funny is at my last school in NYC, alot of senior citizens who lived in Manhattan would audit courses. As an older classmate, you are in a position to really enrich the students lives, so I say go for it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mr. AKA

I am a current student, I'm 28 and only a junior due to taking years off, changing majors, and moving from a different state. You will have lower level classes with 18 and 19 year olds, but age really doesnt seem to be a factor for me, as far as race relations I've never experienced or heard anything negative.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

As has been said you shouldn't have any problems with your age and I haven't seen any racial issues. USF is much like any other major university, you get out of it what you put into it. You can be as involved or uninvolved on campus as you choose to be.

I was a business major so I can't talk about the college you'd be in but I would say unless things have changed recently expect some headaches when it comes to the general administration and the registration process. USF is still in my opinion not up to par in those areas (I attended another university for 2 years prior to USF so have something to compare it to).

Still overall USF is a good university and is progressing academically every year. Tampa is also a great setting for the school. Good luck and we look forward to having you in Bulls Country soon!  :)

Archived