• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A question for current students or recent grads

charlie11

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

I'm almost sold on attending USF but I would like some opinions please. I'm a non traditional student due to spending my 20's in the Army,  and my major concern is not being able to relate to too many of the younger students. Is there a lot of older students?

What about race relations? I've heard some bad things about USF and race. As I've said I come from a Army background [i believe the military is the most intergrated institution in America] and I would prefer to not have to deal with large populations of ignorance.

I thought I'd would go straight to the source for answers. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

Any rumors you heard about race relations are false. I have not seen any ignorance dealing with race or racism at USF.

I wouldn't worry about relating to younger students. People get along well in the classroom and relating to others will come naturally

Thanks. I thought that would be the answer I got. Life is what you make of it. If you fail, whine on the internet. Why do i always fall for sour grapes internet reviews?

• Content Count:  275

Because those with something bad to say are the ones who yell it out the loudest. When you're content, you're not as likely to write a raving review.

Im 21 and friends with an army ranger who's 27 now and hes just a senior now (same as me).

I dont think youll have any bigger problem here than anywhere else

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm almost sold on attending USF but I would like some opinions please. I'm a non traditional student due to spending my 20's in the Army,  and my major concern is not being able to relate to too many of the younger students. Is there a lot of older students?

What about race relations? I've heard some bad things about USF and race. As I've said I come from a Army background [i believe the military is the most intergrated institution in America] and I would prefer to not have to deal with large populations of ignorance.

I thought I'd would go straight to the source for answers. :)

I, like you, went to school after spending time in the military (Navy).  Of course you'll see some students you don't relate to, but you'll see a lot in a very similar situation as you are in.  I went into engineering and while most of the students in my classes were young, a vast majority of them were very mature.

• Content Count:  1,479

Yes, there are alot of people in your situation at USF. That is actually sometime used as a knock against the university being "non-traditional". I have and now especially in junior/senior courses about 5-6 people in every class that are between 25 and 30 due to time in the military. Very common. I've never noticed any major racial issues on campus, possibly isolated with certian people at certain times, but not widespread. 

• Content Count:  2,307

There are a lot of non traditional students at USF.  I had several in all my classes.  I don't think you'll have any problems at all.  USF is a very friendly campus.

On the other issue...whoever said USF had race relations is stupid.  We're one of the most diversified universities out there.  No problems on that end.

I am thinking of just going back to USF to get my masters.  That's how much I love the school.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I have NEVER seen any race problems at USF. That doesn't' mean they are there, but I have never seen anything. I think USF (Tampa and Florida as well) that things like this tend to not be a problem.

Plenty of non-traditional students on campus. But, there will be a fair share of people you wont' relate to. My guess is, and that is all it is, there are plenty of soldier who are returning from Iraq or other areas in the world who are in your situation. So, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't run into plenty of people much like yourself.

I think student and recent grads have plenty of stories about horrible professors (much like all schools). But, having been an undergrad for two years and a grad student for two years, this school is moving up in academics.

Any idea what you would like to study?

• Content Count:  7,890

This is my second time around at USF (BA in 05 and going back for another) and I have never seen anything that would make me think USF has bad race relations. The only bad relations USF students have is with the Tampa Sport Authority and their tazers ;)

I want to thank everyone for replying. I'm going for the journalism program [magazine].  I plan to get my AA at CC here in Jacksonville first so it will be another year or so until i go to USF.

I have NEVER seen any race problems at USF. That doesn't' mean they are there, but I have never seen anything. I think USF (Tampa and Florida as well) that things like this tend to not be a problem.

Plenty of non-traditional students on campus. But, there will be a fair share of people you wont' relate to. My guess is, and that is all it is, there are plenty of soldier who are returning from Iraq or other areas in the world who are in your situation. So, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't run into plenty of people much like yourself.

I think student and recent grads have plenty of stories about horrible professors (much like all schools). But, having been an undergrad for two years and a grad student for two years, this school is moving up in academics.

Any idea what you would like to study?

Archived