• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How can we get the Green/Gold chant back?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

"FINISH" & "STRONG"?

Wow, I think that would be amazing. It's original, it's not boring (sorry, GREEN & GOLD is easy to cheer, but boringly simple), it has meaning, and it could be an inspiration to our players whether we are winning or losing.

That said, it might be hard to educate all the fans on why we say it, and it might be hard to get them to say FINISH and STRONG.

But it would definitely have my vote if Athletics got on board and made a video of Jeff and why we're starting a FINISH and STRONG cheer. That would be incredible.

OMG, what would be even more amazing is if the video was made in time to show on the Ray Jay Jumbotron before the WVU game, and then at the end of the 3rd quarter or start of the 4th (right before whenever we get the ball on offense in that period), the Jumbotron could flash FINISH with a left arrow and STRONG with a right arrow. On ESPN, against a top-5 team, that would solidify a tradition in my opinion.

Should be done for NORTH CAROLINA game. I would like to get some practice doing this before WV.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,495

No offense guys, but if you flash "Finish" and "Strong" on the Jumbotron you are going to get 40K people going WTF???   ???  ???

Finish & Strong is a motto for the team this year, not a stadium cheer. 

Do you see FSU flashing "Let's" "Roll" on their scoreboard? 

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

either Green & Gold or South Florida.

again, i dont want to sound like i am comparing EVERYTHING we do to what the Bucs do, but since i was at the game on sunday its just fresh in my mind...

but the Tampa......Bay.....chant from alternating sides of the stadium is LOUD and simple.  you cant have too many words because not everyone is gonna time it right.

i love the whole finish strong motto but in my opinion its not something that will span decades of tradition.  it just seems like a real good motto for THIS YEARs team since the fan Jeff is dealing with this issue right now.  

Green and Gold or South Florida is of course the easiest. I just thought "finish - strong" would have been more original. Not that it matters, the chances of us hearing any of these chants is 1 and a very large number.

• Content Count:  1,113

;D  You know he started a legacy with that "Finish Strong" and how awesome would that be to hear a whole stadium chanting that.  That is just like Auburn's war cry in "War Eagle".  A lot of our players have that "Finish Strong" in their head and it would show support and rally the troops so to speak. 

As for those that might not know, they'll pick it up quickly.  I would say at least 90% have read the article and know the team's mantra by now.  This would solidify team and fans. :) 

My vote for "Finish Strong".

Sorry guys... Cash Cow is right... other than a few hundred Bulls Fans on message boards -- no one will understand the "Finish Strong" chant.

Now, what we need is a boatload of signs that say "Finish Strong" starting to appear... then people will start asking questions and the story can spread beyond a few message boards and one or two newspaper articles.

It's not that it's a bad idea... but if you really want crowd participation, you need to make it not only easy, but something a kid could understand.  "Green/Gold" and "South/Florida" are easy.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry guys... Cash Cow is right... other than a few hundred Bulls Fans on message boards -- no one will understand the "Finish Strong" chant.

Now, what we need is a boatload of signs that say "Finish Strong" starting to appear... then people will start asking questions and the story can spread beyond a few message boards and one or two newspaper articles.

It's not that it's a bad idea... but if you really want crowd participation, you need to make it not only easy, but something a kid could understand.  "Green/Gold" and "South/Florida" are easy.

Agreed

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

We had to listen to the R - U from alternating sides of the stadium at Rutgers 2 years ago.  Couldn't make out what they were saying at the Auburn game because our fans were so loud. 

I would vote for South - Florida over the Green - Gold.  But either would be good coming from a FULL stadium against WV.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

"FINISH" & "STRONG"?

Wow, I think that would be amazing. It's original, it's not boring (sorry, GREEN & GOLD is easy to cheer, but boringly simple), it has meaning, and it could be an inspiration to our players whether we are winning or losing.

That said, it might be hard to educate all the fans on why we say it, and it might be hard to get them to say FINISH and STRONG.

But it would definitely have my vote if Athletics got on board and made a video of Jeff and why we're starting a FINISH and STRONG cheer. That would be incredible.

OMG, what would be even more amazing is if the video was made in time to show on the Ray Jay Jumbotron before the WVU game, and then at the end of the 3rd quarter or start of the 4th (right before whenever we get the ball on offense in that period), the Jumbotron could flash FINISH with a left arrow and STRONG with a right arrow. On ESPN, against a top-5 team, that would solidify a tradition in my opinion.

I can respect a difference of opinion, but several people have said that "nobody will understand why we're saying FINISH STRONG." As I've bolded above, I agree that most people won't understand. However, given that Moffitt Cancer Center is the preferred charity of USF Athletics (after BMo), if a very short (30 second) video was made with a photo or appearance of Jeff and an explanation of why "Finish Strong" has become a motto for the team and fans, it could be played before the start of the game and enough fans would have paid attention to understand why we're starting the cheer. Then, just like TAMPA and BAY flash on the screen during Bucs games, FINISH and STRONG could flash to get our cheer going. I think it would be very inspirational, it would be UNIQUE, and it would have a lot more meaning to the fans and players than GREEN and GOLD. Besides, after we do that, newspaper articles would be written like the first one on Jeff, and more people would understand.

We would work on it during the UNC game to get the Finish/Strong chant going.... word will spread and I'm sure that come WV or the next home game we will have it going.

Archived