• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strange Response

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Some of you may remember the letter to the editor in the Oracle last week from the Auburn fan. Well on line there were a good number of comments, and the last one took me by surprise.

Jay

posted 9/15/07 @ 1:35 PM EST

This is just supports my long-held belief that USF should not even have a football team. The original intent was that USF should be focused on academics and i think they should have stuck with that.

I'm just wondering who is this guy, and where did that fit into the letter. I'm still just scratching my head at it.

http://www.usforacle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticleComments&ustory_id=044e2c3b-ce0c-4ae8-a9b1-154c7e490fc5

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

tool?

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's what I was thinking.

• Content Count:  5,903

It doesn't necessarily have to be someone like those guys... it could just be a guy who thinks that USF should just be an academic school... there are plenty of students and alumni who think that.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Some of you may remember the letter to the editor in the Oracle last week from the Auburn fan. Well on line there were a good number of comments, and the last one took me by surprise.

Jay

posted 9/15/07 @ 1:35 PM EST

This is just supports my long-held belief that USF should not even have a football team. The original intent was that USF should be focused on academics and i think they should have stuck with that.

I'm just wondering who is this guy, and where did that fit into the letter. I'm still just scratching my head at it.

http://www.usforacle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticleComments&ustory_id=044e2c3b-ce0c-4ae8-a9b1-154c7e490fc5

Definitely a case of a lttle information being a dangerous thing. 

This guy heard that the founding President wanted the school to be founded as an academic institution.  It was never inteded to be solely an academic institution.  That was just someone's (albiet an important someone) preference.

Also, it's a different time and era.  Many sports, football especially is a money maker and brings prestige, investment and noteriety to the University.   There are very few, if any solid Universities that are strictly academic institutions.  Top tier institutions require well rounded students.  I don't know too many well rounded students that excel in the classroom that would want to go to a college that only offers classroom learning. 

• Content Count:  3,307

If it isn't a troll, I bet it's a faculty member.

I hope it's not a student - there's almost no way they could have enrolled before football was on the drawing board and still be a student. And if they hate football that much, why didn't they go to another school that allegedly takes academics more seriously than USF?

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Notre Dame, and many of the best academic schools in the country have football (and other sports) and it hasn't hurt their reputation at all.  Sounds like an academic who hates sports (yes there are some).  Probably in the arts area. 

Archived