• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joey Johnston is a putz

Guest JulmisteForPrez

here is the article...

Johnston comments arent what bothers me...its Susan Welsh's

http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBRXIA6K6F.html

but yea...Joey you could of pointed out that the Hurricanes dont play on campus..........  thanks alot

Yeah.......I don't know who Susan Welsh is (other than what I read in this article), but her comment made me want to  :throwup2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

yea that TBO.com headline is a joke.  Must of been written by a UCFer.

maybe in a few weeks they can have one that says "and after 3 meetings UCF still doesnt have a Win"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

So it's not something that is up to us, okay?  So instead of using the same old tired, "Pony up" stuff, take a different angle to it.

You're absolutely right, it's NOT something that is up to us, okay? So instead of using the same old tired, "Malcolm is our daddy" stuff, take a different angle to it .... better yet ....  :stfu

• Content Count:  1,386

How about we start with the dining facilities CJL thinks are most important first? We can't afford to build that and people expect us to just BOOM build an OCS? That's crazy talk. I want to drive a Ferrari but I don't have the money to do so-- so guess what? I don't. I can always rent one for a day or two though like we do with RJS.

Put it this way-- Miami announces it is moving out of it's historic dump of a stadium -- the Orange Bowl into the new and NFL connected Dolphin Stadium... and the only outrage is that they are moving out of the Orange Bowl--- which is STILL NOT AN OCS. Where is the uproar and the outrage over that act? You don't see any writers comparing UCF to Miami because of a stupid OCS now do you? THe fact that UCF survived just fine for aroudn 30 years without an OCS should be emphasized. We past them on the palying field and many other places very quickly but we are expected to also build something we simply have no absolute need for to appease some writer trying to get our rage boiling? whatever

Let's be realistic here. There isn't an NFL team in Auburn or anywhere in Alabama for that matter. They built that huge stadium over many many years. They had no real choice otherwise except for Legion Field. And while it is great to have that "atmosphere" it is ridiculous to assume that USF is missing out on only that in comparison to all these schools. They have long standing traditions that make that game day atmosphere happen-- not just the facility itself. There is no reason we cannot transform RJS into that type of environment by getting fans to engage in the cheers and other things that make it so romanticized.

PS-- let's stop calling people names just because they are trying to enrage us. So UCF has a new OCS-- good for them. They needed it to replace that relic called the Citrus Bowl.

I agree with everything you said.

I didn't know about the dining facility, but I do know that there are alot of other sports that desperately need facilities that they can't get anywhere else. Those need to be done before an OCS. RJS is fine until USF can catch up on the other sport facilities.

Like you said, many BCS teams have had decades, if not over a century to build facilities, where USF has only been around for 50 years and playing sports for a few decades.

To compare within the Big East. Louisville has been playing football for 88 years and the campus has been around since 1798! And, outside of the Bulls, that's the youngest football program in the BE! Rutgers has been playing for 137 years and their campus has been around since 1766! Not counting USF, the average BE team has been playing football for over 114 years!

UCF has been playing football for 28 years and according to some of the analysis here is in dept from all the spending. USF, from what I understand, isn't nearly as bad off and would like to keep it that way. Which is smart to my thinking.

USF has only been playing for 11 years and things like an OCS take time.

Kizarvexis

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Kizarvexis

Right.

Like building a program from scratch into a team in the national title picture.........that takes time.

11 years, right?

Yeah, who thought that would be possible?

Once again, you and many others feel one way.  I and many others feel differently.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Here's some insight into the minds of folks (schools) who have different opinions:

** Disclaimer**  This is only to show why this is such an important subject to many of us.  I realize the $$ is big, but all we ask is for a plan, and to get the ball rolling......no matter how slowly that may be.  This article is about the University of Minnesota.  How much more HUGE is college football in the state of Florida?  Yet, the folks up in Minnesota see the need.  There are some very outstanding points made in this article.

Why a Stadium?

An Opportunity of a Lifetime

It’s time to build a new campus stadium so that Golden Gopher football can be played the way Big Ten college football is meant to be playedâ€â€outdoors and on campus. It's time to rekindle the game-day traditions that add to campus life in a way that cannot be replicated. It's time to inspire enthusiasm and pride in the University of Minnesota among students, faculty, staff, alumni and fans everywhere.

From 1924 to 1982, Memorial Stadium provided thousands of Minnesotans with the excitement of Big Ten, campus football. A generation of students has missed that experience. It's time to bring Gopher football back to campus for future generations and rekindle that sense of excitement, spirit and pride in the University and its football program.

Student life has changed dramatically. Twenty years ago, less than 40 percent of students lived on campus. Today, about 65 percent do and they want and deserve a full campus experience.

A campus stadium will enhance campus life. In addition to the football games and game day experience, a new stadium will provide a place for many other campus and community events and will foster pride in and a deeper connection to the University and Gopher athletics.

The Right Call

The University has a solid plan to build a $288 million, 50,000-seat, Gopher-only campus football stadium. This is the best option for the University and for Minnesota.

The other two optionsâ€â€sharing a facility with the Minnesota Vikings or taking over sole financial responsibility for the Metrodome when the Twins and Vikings leave in 2011â€â€just don't make financial or programmatic sense.

The Vikings want a professional sports/entertainment complex that would be twice as large and cost twice as much as a Gopher campus stadium and would be incompatible with the University's mission and needs. And the University can't afford to stay in the Metrodome as sole tenant after the Vikings and Twins leave in 2011.

A campus stadium will generate increased revenue for the University and for intercollegiate athletics.

The Gophers are in Minnesota to stay. They need a campus home.

http://www1.umn.edu/stadium/why.html

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Using Minnesota is not a good example because I do believe they received a good deal of state money for their stadium. We're not going to be in that same position when the time comes.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Using Minnesota is not a good example because I do believe they received a good deal of state money for their stadium. We're not going to be in that same position when the time comes.

Like I said, not trying to compare apples to apples there.  I just think there is a WHOLE lot of truth in several of the statements in that article.

• Content Count:  1,386

Kizarvexis

Right.

Like building a program from scratch into a team in the national title picture.........that takes time.

11 years, right?

Yeah, who thought that would be possible?

Once again, you and many others feel one way.  I and many others feel differently.

Strawberries and oranges. Recruits and media attention are one thing, $200 million is something else entirely. Unless you just won the powerball?

Kizarvexis

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The positives for an OCS do outweigh the negatives. I'd be interested to see how much an OCS would run for our needs. We have so many amenities at RJS that you'd have to find a way to incorporate into an OCS.

Archived