• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt Not Focused on Poll

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt Not Focused on Poll

http://www.theledger.com/article/20070913/NEWS/709130548/1341/SPORTS

TAMPA | Jim Leavitt and his South Florida Bulls are focused on getting better, not being left out of the Top 25.

The biggest victory in the relatively brief history of one of the nation's fastest growing football programs thrust USF into the national spotlight and increased some players' recognition around campus.

Beating Auburn, though, didn't propel the Bulls into the rankings for the first time.

Still, instead of whining about a lack of respect in the aftermath of last week's 26-23 overtime win, the Bulls say they'll simply continue to work hard and improve.

"It doesn't mean a whole lot to me right now," Leavitt said of the rankings.

"It means a lot maybe to other people. But what means more to me is to see a young man grow up and play well and do the right things, go to class, get grades and receive a degree... This program, I hope, is about a whole lot more than football."

While there's a chance that they could crack the Top 25 without playing this weekend, the Bulls at the very least have positioned themselves to climb by winning their next two games at home against North Carolina and West Virginia.

"That doesn't really mean a lot to me, to be honest with you," Leavitt said, scoffing at the suggestion that the Bulls have set themselves up to rise dramatically if they continue to win.

Archived