• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

UTSA to use USF model for starting football

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  120

good luck to them-- if they truly follow the USF model, they will not try to do too much too soon (i.e. focu on building a solid program first instead of facilities and avoid taking on huge opponents early--- build the schedule gradual every year).

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

The local university here in San Antonio, UTSA, is looking to use USF as a model for starting a football program.  They are currently 1-AA in all sports, but with no football team.  They would like to eventually go 1-A and use USF as a model.  They would use student fee increases to fund the program.  This is front page news in todays San Antonio Express-News, with at least 3 stories devoted to it.  They would most likely play at the Alamodome (NFL type stadium), just as USF uses and NFL stadium, and would probably start play in 2010 at the 1-AA level before moving up to 1-A.  Thought you all might be interested:

College football: Florida programs come from fertile ground Natalie England

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/stories/MYSA091307.01C.Florida.Programs.en.34985ed.html

As recently as three years ago, the South Florida football coaching staff didn't have offices  they worked out of trailers. Nor did they have permanent lights on the team's practice field. So, at dusk, the coaches used their high-beam car headlights to squeeze in a few extra snaps.

Yes, this is the same South Florida that last Saturday stunned 17th-ranked Auburn on the Tigers' home field.    

Central Florida, South Florida's upstate cousin and fellow Division I-A newcomer, will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Saturday before playing Texas, the biggest game in the school's 29 football seasons. The Knights will officially open Bright House Networks Stadium, a 45,000-seat facility so new that the freshly planted palm trees lining the stadium's entrance are still propped by braces.

In 1979, the year Central Florida played its first football game, UT legend Darrell Royal was nearly three years into coaching retirement. When the Southwest Conference broke up in 1996, the Knights were still months away from playing their first Division I-A game.

And yet Central Florida ranks as the graybeard in a quartet of Florida start-up schools trying to siphon off national recognition from the state's Big Three  Florida, Florida State and Miami.

In 1995, the Big Three represented the extent of the state's participation in I-A football. Now, seven schools share the stage. The newcomers  Central Florida, South Florida, Florida Atlantic and Florida International  have a combined 19 full seasons in the major-college ranks. Yet, their impact has been felt in significant ways.

South Florida, which made its I-A debut in 2001, owned upsets of Louisville and West Virginia before adding Auburn to its list of victims. Central Florida needed only a four-year apprenticeship in I-A before upsetting Alabama, and the Knights opened the season two weeks ago with a victory over North Carolina State.

Now, after an off week, Central Florida has the vaunted Longhorns in their sights.

"This is a new beginning for Central Florida," school athletic director Keith Tribble said. "It couldn't be more fitting than to have a storied program like Texas help us start that."

While UT football tradition dates back over a century, Central Florida's roots run about as deep as the palms outside the school's new stadium.

"You can't manufacture tradition," Tribble says. "The only way to get tradition is to create a winning program."

For Central Florida and South Florida, that hasn't been as difficult as many had predicted.

South Florida went 9-4 last season and won a bowl game for the first time, beating East Carolina 24-7 in the Papajohns.com Bowl. Central Florida, too, has a bowl game under its belt, a 2005 appearance in the Hawaii Bowl.

Florida Atlantic and Florida International, both in just their second seasons of I-A competition, have yet to find that kind of traction. Florida International is 0-14 since joining the I-A ranks.

Football start-ups are rare in the college ranks. Still, UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds recalls a game in 1981 in which the Longhorns were embroiled in a rugged contest with a "little Florida school." UT survived with a 14-7 victory.

"It was Miami," Dodds says. "They were just starting out."

The Hurricanes, who began major college competition in 1946, rebounded well from the loss to UT. They won five undisputed national titles over the next 20 seasons.

Florida, which has come to mirror Texas in its production of major-college players, now mirrors Texas in home-state colleges to accommodate those players. Texas boasts 10 schools playing major-college football. The pup among that group is North Texas, which began major-college competition in 1957.

Florida, Dodds says, "can start I-A programs and be successful by just recruiting kids in their backyard."

UT coach Mack Brown laughs that he nearly threw up when he learned of South Florida's upset of Auburn but adds that he wasn't shocked.

"You will see those Florida schools improve like Texas' can," Brown says. "Florida has really great players. Now they can stay at home."

The best model, to date, is South Florida. Head coach Jim Leavitt started the Bulls' program 11 years ago and has managed it ever since.

In 1996, the Bulls did nothing but practice. They followed that with four years in Division I-AA before graduating to I-A status in 2001. South Florida won 17 games in its first two seasons as an independent, then joined Conference USA for two years. In 2004, South Florida joined the Big East.

"That gave us a platform," South Florida athletic director Doug Woolard says. "It gave us access to the BCS, and that brought a new recruiting philosophy."

It also allowed Leavitt and staff to move out of their trailers. South Florida opened a 104,000-square-foot training center in 2004.

"Jim has a chance to do something that I don't think has ever been done in history," Woolard says. "And that's start a program, stay with it and take it to a place of national prominence."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/stories/MYSA20070913.06C.NZ.State.FBC_utsa-florida_model_0.2ff4a68.html

UTSA students hold key to possible football program

Web Posted: 09/13/2007 12:30 AM CDT

Jerry Briggs

Express-News Staff Writer

Florida schools that have jumped into Division I-A college football within the past dozen years can thank their students for the opportunity.

One of the key elements for the start of teams at Florida International, Florida Atlantic and South Florida, plus Central Florida's move from I-AA to I-A in 1996, were athletic department budgets bolstered by student fees.

The "fee-based" model is one that UTSA is using in an effort to start its own program.

"We're not doing something that's outrageous and hasn't been done before," UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey said.

Results of a UTSA student referendum authorizing fee increases will be announced today.

If the referendum passes, then students will have authorized doubling their fee rate from $10 per semester hour to $20 per semester hour.

Athletics fee rates at the Florida schools are comparable  Florida Atlantic charges $13.75 per semester hour, Florida International $13.05, Central Florida $11.72 and South Florida $10, according to the school's Web sites.

Hickey said UTSA's rate could go higher than the Florida schools because UTSA started its process later.

"We haven't invented the wheel," Hickey said. "We have asked students to invest not unlike they have done at other schools across the country."

Fee increases at UTSA would require approval by the administration and the UT System Board of Regents.

Currently, UTSA's fees are capped at $120 per semester. Anyone taking 12 hours or more pays that amount.

Students are voting to authorize raising the rate in increments for the next several years, up to $20 per semester hour, or a $240 maximum.

Julie Berg, senior associate athletic director for internal operations at Florida International, said student contributions through fees made it possible for FIU to start football in 2002 and to make the move to I-A status in 2006.

"It would have been absolutely impossible to start a program at FIU without the contribution and foresight of our student body," she said.

In general, more established programs around the nation charge students less in fees than the ones that have recently taken on an expensive program such as football.

Students at Texas, for instance, pay nothing for athletics if they have no interest in attending events, a spokesman said. But an option is the Longhorn All Sports Package for $70 per year. With the LASP, students can access free tickets to football, basketball and other events year-round.

A student can secure a season ticket to UT home games for $130, a spokesman said.

Texas A&M students also have the option of buying into the access of free tickets for home sports events. Students at A&M can purchase football-game-only access for $187.50, while access to all sporting events costs $295, a spokesman said.

Win or lose, UTSA football vote seen as step toward bigger dreams

Web Posted: 09/12/2007 11:42 PM CDT

Melissa Ludwig

Express-News

Josh Collins would love to play football. Cait Taylor wants to tailgate at games. John Lerma thinks a football team would boost school spirit. David Wagner couldn't care less.

The results of a University of Texas at San Antonio student referendum that could help open the door to a football team are due out today, and opinions vary so wildly it's hard to predict the outcome.

Whether students vote yea or nay, one thing is clear: The fact that UTSA is even pondering Division I football is proof positive that it is bent on blossoming from a little-known commuter college into a full-fledged campus with a national reputation.

Read more:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA091307.01A..UTSA_Football.34984cb.html

utsa isnt 9th largest school in the land

there are more than 3 good 1a schools in texas

san antonio isnt tampa

good luck to them

Archived