• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Quick BCS analysis

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,454
  • Days Won:  13

First, this is not about USF and the BCS, just the BCS in general...

That being said, I have read where some people believe the Big East won't get two BCS slots.  Consider...

1) There are TEN slots in the BCS. Four bowl games with two each and the national championship game.

2) There are six conferences with automatic bids.

3) That means there are four at large slots. (10-6=4)

4) Now, no conference can send more than two teams.

5) A mid-major team is automatically selected if they finish in the Top 12 (or the Top 16 if they are ahead of a BCS champion).  There are only 6 remaining undefeated mid-major teams (Hawaii, Wyoming, Air Force, Ohio, Tulsa, and UCF) -- and only Hawaii is in the Top 30 in the coaches poll... with BYU, TCU, Boise State, and Wyoming all receiving votes.

6) Notre Dame is automatically selected if they finish in the Top 8.  The Irish already have two losses and will likely lose a few more this year.

7) At large teams who have won 9 games and are in the Top 14 can be selected for the BCS.

Okay. Chances are good that Notre Dame and the mid-majors will fail to gain the automatic bid, and may not even make the Top 14 for at-large eligbility.

Therefore, because the four at large teams will come from four of the BCS conferences, there is a 67% chance the Big East will have two BCS teams.

I like the chances of two teams out of WVU, Louisville, USF, Rutgers, and Cincinnati will be playing in BCS bowls this year...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Good job Jim !  You know how to break it down for us.

P.S.  I'm looking into my magic eight ball right now and predict USF is in there !

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

We need a BCS bowl more than any other program in our conference.  A big pay day like that would do well to getting the remaining facilities our program needs to offer the complete experience to our guys.

• Content Count:  1,254

The Notre Dame rule is ABSOLUTELY absurd. This is the most overrated team in football. We all see how they have done in previous BCS games. They always have and will always continue to be my most hated team in ALL of sports. I even feel perfectly fine rooting for the Florida Gators (say what you want) if they were to ever play Notre Dame. WHAT A JOKE.

What's the automatic bid for the Big East BCS game?

There isn't one...

Team-Selection Procedures

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl

Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl

Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl

Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl

Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

A. A team in the NCG;

B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;

C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same Conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

4. Any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order:

A. The bowl played on the date nearest to the National Championship Game will pick first  in 2008, Orange Bowl January 3;

B. The bowl played on the date second-nearest to the National Championship Game will pick second  in 2008, Fiesta Bowl January 2;

C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game will pick third  in 2008, Sugar Bowl.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

My guess is if USF wins the Big East and does not finish #1 or #2, then we'll be in the Sugar Bowl.

What's the automatic bid for the Big East BCS game?

There isn't one...

Team-Selection Procedures

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl

Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl

Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl

Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl

Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

A. A team in the NCG;

B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;

C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same Conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

4. Any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order:

A. The bowl played on the date nearest to the National Championship Game will pick first  in 2008, Orange Bowl January 3;

B. The bowl played on the date second-nearest to the National Championship Game will pick second  in 2008, Fiesta Bowl January 2;

C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game will pick third  in 2008, Sugar Bowl.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

My guess is if USF wins the Big East and does not finish #1 or #2, then we'll be in the Sugar Bowl.

I would have to think the Orange Bowl. They'd be able to get the most USF fans to travel there.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Waaayyyyyy to early for this IMO.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

The Notre Dame rule is ABSOLUTELY absurd. This is the most overrated team in football. We all see how they have done in previous BCS games. They always have and will always continue to be my most hated team in ALL of sports. I even feel perfectly fine rooting for the Florida Gators (say what you want) if they were to ever play Notre Dame. WHAT A JOKE.

Look at ND's schedule (GT, PSU, UM, MSU, Purdue, BC, USC, UCLA, Navy).  If they were to survive it, they deserve a shot at the title.  Does anybody consistently play a tougher schedule?  They are always in the group of teams, that have the toughest schedule, year in and year out.  When was the last time UF played a tough non conference road game?   Most people that hate ND, don't even understand what their stipulations are for BCS contention.  They claim they have their own network.  That isn't even true.  NBC covers only home games.  How is that different than CBS covering UF every week in the SEC if they wanted to, or ABC covering USC out west?  Hate all of the networks because, in reality, they control all of them.  Like today for example, ABC puts them on versus Michigan.  When they play Navy, CBS puts them on.  Last week at PSU, ESPN had them on.  Yet people will only say, "they have their own network".  Money talks and thats why they matter..........    

By the way, UF did play ND once.  It was the 92 Sugar Bowl.  ND 'shouldn't' have even been invited to the game but were.  I think UF set a record for number of FGs kicked in that game.  It didn't help, ND blasted UF in that game.  It was Jerome Bettis' coming out party.  He gutted the UF Defense throughout the second half.

Look at ND's schedule (GT, PSU, UM, MSU, Purdue, BC, USC, UCLA, Navy).  If they were to survive it, they deserve a shot at the title.  Does anybody consistently play a tougher schedule?  They are always in the group of teams, that have the toughest schedule, year in and year out.  When was the last time UF played a tough non conference road game?  Most people that hate ND, don't even understand what their stipulations are for BCS contention.  They claim they have their own network.  That isn't even true.  NBC covers only home games.  How is that different than CBS covering UF every week in the SEC if they wanted to, or ABC covering USC out west?  Hate all of the networks because, in reality, they control all of them.  Like today for example, ABC puts them on versus Michigan.  When they play Navy, CBS puts them on.  Last week at PSU, ESPN had them on.  Yet people will only say, "they have their own network".  Money talks and thats why they matter..........   

By the way, UF did play ND once.  It was the 92 Sugar Bowl.  ND 'shouldn't' have even been invited to the game but were.  I think UF set a record for number of FGs kicked in that game.  It didn't help, ND blasted UF in that game.  It was Jerome Bettis' coming out party.  He gutted the UF Defense throughout the second half.

And that's the last bowl game they won.

Archived