• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

real good read about Delbert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

IMO, the fact we won, coupled with the overall compassion of bulls fans has let Delbert off the hook a little bit.  Everyone on this board should be nervous heading into the balance of the season with him kicking FG's.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Glass half full ?

Del will be an outstanding kicker the rest of the year.  Talk about being in a pressure cooker.  You missed 4 out of 5 and now you have to kick in Jorden-Hare with 80,000 screaming fans knowing you will miss again and Tuberville trying to freeze you with a time out.  The whole BE conference wanting a USF win and your whole team looking to you to "git er done".  Wow - This is the situation that lasts a lifetime - wide right mean anything to you -  then you understand. 

Well he succeeded and now will be an outstanding kicker the rest of year.  Will he miss some - sure - but does he now have the mental toughness to kick a game winner - you bet he does.  Will he be more focused and calm on each and every kick the rest of year - count on it.

There will plenty of naysayers out there wanting him benched and open tryouts for a new kicker but why get rid of the guy that just put you in OT in one of the biggest games in USF history.  He has weathered the storm and proven he can hit the game winner - I look forward to new BE record this year Del - a nice 59 yarder would work well.  And lots more field goals made then missed.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Regarding Delbert's Saturday night, I see the glass a third full . . . as in 2 for 6.

You are able to wax on about how clutch his twenty yarder at the end of the game was because you qualified it with how poorly he performed up to that point.

You also say he hit the game winner.  Your wrong . . . Grothe did.

Glad you feel feel good about chasing down the BCS with Delbert.  I don't.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

You also say he hit the game winner.  Your wrong . . .

That kick had as much pressure as almost ANY game winner would ever have .... That was probably his point.

• Content Count:  1,457

Bottom line:  We are a family, win as a team and lose as a team also.  Delbert has got to kick better than this.  He must make at least 75% of his field goals and 95% of his PAT's.

His numbers are in the toilet.  Redemption lies when we beat NC.  He must be 100% accurate.

• Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  137

Regarding Delbert's Saturday night, I see the glass a third full . . . as in 2 for 6.

You are able to wax on about how clutch his twenty yarder at the end of the game was because you qualified it with how poorly he performed up to that point.

You also say he hit the game winner.  Your wrong . . . Grothe did.

Glad you feel feel good about chasing down the BCS with Delbert.  I don't.

26 whole posts in, from Raleigh with a name like Carolina_Bull -- seems to me like you want Delbert to fail and that your true colors are Carolina Blue, not Bull.

Way to try to spin this nice story into a doom and gloom scenario. Fact is that two of the four misses were blocked/deflected balls. THe other two were from ridiciulous angles. Not your normal kicking night in front of a pressure packed environment. He made the one we really needed when most were thinking he might miss. That is overcoming adversity-- the theme of the entire game at AUburn.

• Content Count:  4,501

Reading Comprehension - I never said he kicked the wining field goal - I said He now has the mental toughness to kick a wining field goal.  Mental toughness comes from being in that tough tough situation after having been really off the whole game and having to "make" a huge kick.  he made it and USF went on to win.  I hope that clarifies it.

Of course it is just speculation on all our parts but I for one just think he is going to be the guy we want kicking the rest of the year and he will be succsessfull.

• Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

[glow=yellow,2,300]THe other two were from ridiciulous angles.[/glow] Not your normal kicking night in front of a pressure packed environment. He made the one we really needed when most were thinking he might miss. That is overcoming adversity-- the theme of the entire game at AUburn.

Actually, Mike, one of the misses was from around 38 yards but, bottom line like you said, is that he made the kick we absolutely HAD to have .... as long as he keeps kicking those, I don't care what his percentage is.

• Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  137

I'm pretty sure he will be putting extra time working on the tough angle kicks regardless. None of his attempts were straight on from what I recall-- even the 38 was from the right hash-- which to a right footed soccer style kicker is going against the grain (I think).

anyway-- you got my point

Archived