• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPNU: Grothe for Heisman!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,467
  • Days Won:  13

NO JOKE

On ESPNU's Inside the Polls - Todd McShay said Matt Grothe was his sleeper pick to win the Heisman trophy. Video of Grothe highlights from the Auburn game...

"Now folks, if this guy was two or three inches taller he'd be playing at one of the Big Three in the state of Florida. That is no lie.  Matt Grothe."

"I really think this guy is special.  Throw all the measurables out the window. Throw all the things that the coaches and scouts look for. And just take intangibles, bottle 'em, and that is Matt Grothe."

Mike Hall added... "We've been making the comparison to Joe Montana, and I know you see on the field (Steve Young), Steve Young, but it's his comeback ability which we saw against Auburn that people are liking."

The show is on ESPNU again...  Tomorrow (Tuesday - 7:00am, 9:00am, 5:00pm, 10:00pm)

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  0

I LIKE! I need to get Grothe's autograph sooner then later! ;)

• Content Count:  1,165

I dunno. As much as I like Grothe, let's be honest here: he hasn't done anything worth throwing his name into the Heisman mix as of yet.  He's had two decent games, but nothing spectacular.  Let's also add the fact that he's only a sophomore (you know how they hate making underclassmen Heisman winners), and there's only a very slim chance of him winning it.  But hey, I hope for the best.

• Content Count:  226

The chances of him winning are nil, but what this does is put his name into the mix for next season and gives him name recognition.  I expect to see the same thing happen with Ford next season.  Two candidates from USF and if White and Slayton stay another year 2 from WV, and if Rice stays one from Rutgers.

• Content Count:  12,293

in order for Grothe to get a realistic look at a heisman invite USF has to be in the top 15.  there is no way he comes close to the top 5-8 this year in voting (we cant even get a crack into the top 25)  but maybe by next year he can make a little noise and then his senior year, by that time he would probably be pretty close on the NCAAs all time total yards from a QB list. (assuming he can keep up his current pace from last year with usual progressions and stay healthy)

either way...this talk is WAY TOO PREMATURE.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He won't win it nor will he receive votes, this year.  However, the seed is planted and maybe voters the next two years will see that maybe it is not so far fetched.

• Content Count:  118

It is true that this is pre-mature.  And, I honestly think that the Heisman will go to Booty (as I will soon go through my logic).  But, how far fetched is it in getting Grothe to the New York Downtown Athletic Club???  Think about our team goal - to win the Big East.  In order to do so, we will need to beat West Virginia, Rutgers, and Louisville.  And, in doing so, we will bring down the Heisman hopes of Slaton, White, Rice, and Brohm.  And, do not down play the defensive unit that we saw last weekend.  They remind me of what Miami Hurricane defenses used to look like.  This is a team that applies pressure in the backfield.  This is a team whose linebackers swarm to the football.  This is a team whose corners tackle.  This is a recipe for disaster for Slaton, White, and Rice.  And, I see them gaining NOTHING against us.  In the meantime, our corners are "shut down" corners.  This does two things.  First of all, it takes the two primary receiving weapons out of the game.  Second of all, it frees our safties to make plays - support the run, play over the receiver on long passes, and just the opportunity to play centerfield and come up with intercetions.  In fact, how many interceptions did our safties not get last weekend, because our corners swatted away the pass in front of our approaching safeties.  Now, just imagine how many interceptions our safties are going to come up with as our defense has the chance to work together and gel.  In fact, I predict NO LESS than 4 intercetions against Brohm.  And, as our defense eliminates these players as Heisman candidates, the result will be what...more opportuities for our offense and more opportunities for Grothe to run, to pass, and to win football games.  And, as a result, if he takes care of his own business, Booty will win the Heisman, because I do not believe Grothe can do enough to make up the ground on him.  It is a long way off and we have to stay healthy, but if we accomplish our goal of winning the Big East, it is not that far of a stretch that Grothe will benefit from what our defense will do to the Heisman hopes of the other players in our conference and become a Heisman finalist.  And, I have one last point.  As we defeat, North Carolina, West Virginia, Rutgers, and Louisville, etc., the media attention surrounding this team and our quarterback will grow.  This week is a perfect example.  We have been everywhere.  And, ironically, I believe we have received more media attention by not reaching the top 25 than had we reached the top 25.  (Thank you AP voters and coaches.)  Anyways, that is my $.02 on this.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Thank you Todd McShay. I'm still a bit sick of hearing about the lack of height crap. The bottom line is that Matt is cool, calm and collected. He has moxie. He has all the intangibles of a winner.

Archived