• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Auburn-USF: Why Tommy Tuberville's OT Call Made Sense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

What callis made is determined by who the QB is.  With Grothe I would expect our staff to be aggressive in that situation, with Julmiste conservative.  Brandon Cox made poor decisions all night, had bad throws and we were getting pressure on him.  Right call since we had just gotten a sack.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I disagree with Tuberville's decision, and believe he would have never done such a thing if his quarterback wasn't so shaky against our D.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I disagree with Tuberville's decision, and believe he would have never done such a thing if his quarterback wasn't so shaky against our D.

You're correct, but his QB was shaky against our D.  We couldn't score TDs late in the game and with our FG kicking, I'm sure he thought he'd win based on a FG battle.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

From Tuberville's press conference:

You chose to let the clock run down at the end of the fourth quarter instead of trying to win it in regulation. Is the gambler in you gone?

“I’m a gambler, but I’m not that much of a gambler. I would have loved to have the last series we had against Kansas State back. You have to pick and choose. We ran the ball the first couple of plays to see if we could get anything. If we could have, we may have taken a shot. We didn’t get much on the first couple of plays so I decided to pull the plug.

“You have to go by your instinct. I’d do the same thing again. That wouldn’t have been much of a gamble. That would have been suicide,

http://mississippistate.scout.com/a.z?s=136&p=2&c=678571

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

From BleacherReport.com ...

Auburn-USF: Why Tommy Tuberville's OT Call Made Sense

Tommy Tuberville’s decision to “play for OT†at the end of regulation against the University of South Florida is already being hotly debated by AU fans.

A strong majority claim that it was a terrible call. And that strong majority is wrong.

His critics argue that Tubby had 30 seconds, a timeout, and Wes Byrum's unfailing leg to work with.

Their question: "What was he thinking?"

My answer: Five turnovers, the Tigers' steady defense, and the Bulls' shameful excuse for a kicker.

Tubby's choice stemmed mainly from a lack of consistency in the AU passing game. My own confidence in Brandon Cox is at an all-time lowâ€â€you can't blame the O-line for Cox's shoddy performance in this one.

Tubby was worried about USF's phenomenal cornersâ€â€and the possibility of yet another pick. He also had faith in his solid defense, which was exceptional in shutting down a USF offense that enjoyed great field position throughout the game.

Tubby obviously felt that his defense would be able to hold the Bulls and put the outcome of the game on the foot of struggling USF kicker Delbert Alvarado, who had already missed four field goals in the second half.

The blame for this loss belongs to an inconsistent offense, which managed only the occasional decent drive between turnovers.

As for Tubby's decisionâ€â€it was a sound and carefully calculated one that, unfortunately, didn't work out for the Tigers.

please

you go to win at home especially with 2 timeouts in your pocket

stupid call by tooberfield

Archived