• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Auburn-USF: Why Tommy Tuberville's OT Call Made Sense

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

From BleacherReport.com ...

Auburn-USF: Why Tommy Tuberville's OT Call Made Sense

Tommy Tuberville’s decision to “play for OT†at the end of regulation against the University of South Florida is already being hotly debated by AU fans.

A strong majority claim that it was a terrible call. And that strong majority is wrong.

His critics argue that Tubby had 30 seconds, a timeout, and Wes Byrum's unfailing leg to work with.

Their question: "What was he thinking?"

My answer: Five turnovers, the Tigers' steady defense, and the Bulls' shameful excuse for a kicker.

Tubby's choice stemmed mainly from a lack of consistency in the AU passing game. My own confidence in Brandon Cox is at an all-time lowâ€â€you can't blame the O-line for Cox's shoddy performance in this one.

Tubby was worried about USF's phenomenal cornersâ€â€and the possibility of yet another pick. He also had faith in his solid defense, which was exceptional in shutting down a USF offense that enjoyed great field position throughout the game.

Tubby obviously felt that his defense would be able to hold the Bulls and put the outcome of the game on the foot of struggling USF kicker Delbert Alvarado, who had already missed four field goals in the second half.

The blame for this loss belongs to an inconsistent offense, which managed only the occasional decent drive between turnovers.

As for Tubby's decisionâ€â€it was a sound and carefully calculated one that, unfortunately, didn't work out for the Tigers.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

OT would have looked entirely different if they would have completed that 2nd down pass play.  I think it was thrown to their TE.  He had a blocker in front and some clear sailing.  I don't think he scores due to our speed on D, but he definitely makes a first down at the 15 and probably some extra yards too. 

As far as taking a knee to get OT, Tuberville had little options with the USF D dominating pretty much the entire night.  I think it was a no brainer.  USF probably does the same thing if we get the ball at the same spot with the same time left on the clock.

• Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

This really doesn't have anything to do with OT calls but.... If A tuber is a synonym for a potato and a ville is a French word for town..can we call the coach at Auburn, Tater Town?

• Content Count:  35

It was a tough decision for him, but if he goes to OT...  He knows his defense hadn't given up a TD since the 1st quarter and if it becomes a battle of the kickers, they definitely have the advantage.  It would have been a 3rd down play and if Cox throws an incomplete pass, it would have stopped the clock and they would have to punt.  He probably figured we had a better chance returning a punt than we did making a FG at that point.

• Content Count:  1,757

I totally disagree... have the cojones to let your team step up and win, not rely on the other team to loose it for you.  He had ample time to reach FG range. 

Instead he put us on equal footing in determining the outcome of the game.   

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I agree with twilly. If you are so confident that our kicker cant make a FG, why not go for it. If you turn it over and we get a TD, it was a bad gamble. Otherwise, the worst that happens is that you turn the ball over to a team with no time outs and a shaky kicker. Even if you just run short plays and hope something happens, or, with about 10 seconds left, fire up a hail mary, hope you complete it and call a TO for a FG attempt. If we pick it off, we have about 3 seconds to make something happen????

• Content Count:  12,293

if the roles were reversed and leavitt did what TT did...i would be upset.  you got to atleast take a chance.  throw the ball downfield, maybe you get the 15 yard pass interference penalty.  either way, you take a chance.  in college OT anything can happen.

• Content Count:  35

I agree with you all that it's not the decision that I would make, but that may have been what he was thinking.  Just like when CJL decided to attempt a field goal to tie the game at the end.  We were all second guessing him and screaming for him at the stadium to go for it on 4th down and go for the win in regulation, but he decided to take a shot at the field goal and go to OT.  Another miss from that range and we would be second guessing him.

But, thankfully Alverado made that one and we went for it on 4th and inches in OT and completed the TD pass shortly after that to win the game!!!  That's the tough part about coaching, there is always a good chance you will be second guessed if you lose the game.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Tuberville was faced with a third and long when he let the clock run out.  An incomplete pass on that play and Auburn would have been forced to punt.  I think he was afraid of a blocked punt or big return so he just let the clock run out.   

Archived