• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OrlandoSentinel.com: Why USF's early success is good for UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  869
  • Days Won:  0

I think Kyle's experience in the matter would most likely have come by logging on this board, as well as the UCF boards.  For the Orlando Sentinel, these kind of comparisions are a business need.  The Sentinel is about selling papers and selling ad space, the engine needs fuel to run.  For instance, in both Friday's and Saturday's paper, Sentinel columnists all predicted Auburn would win.  The only person saying upset was Mike Bianchi, not because he believed it but because it is he job to create controversy. 

I wrote e-mails to three sentinel columnists and received nice e-mails back from two, and an out of office reply from the third.

The paper will spin this however best it can to sell papers.  It is just how it works over here, the TV media gave little coverage as did other local media.  It doesn't make financial sense for them to do so yet.  Until they see the economics of USF coverage or the controversy of USF coverage, it will be these kind of stories we see.

I had a gentleman at the watch party tell me how we were going to beat Auburn and UCF was going to beat Texas, we would both be in the polls and of the epic game it would be for us to play this year.  Maybe it happens his way, maybe not. I gave him some gold beads (yes, they are not golden anymore, I know) and gave his girlfriend- a USF Bull, more beads and a USF visor to thank her for her support.  She was the first person to give me a 'GO BULLS' when I walked in the door to Friday's Front Row. 

Long story short, if you want to e-mail folks for better USF coverage, drop a line to tstephens@orlandosentinel.com or BSchmitz@orlandosentinel.com .  I can't quit pull myself to send an e-mail to Mike Bianchi because I think he predicted the upset just to do his job- stir things up.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  849

That blog post was hilarious. UCF fans are soo funny. Their program has been around for 30 years and they're like 50 years behind us, when they beat a ranked opponent, I'll start to worry about them until then quitcherbitchin.

My bold prediction for the USF-UCiF game will be 45-7 USF. The only reason we'll stop scoring because we'll have our backups in to start the 4th qtr.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,428
  • Days Won:  422

When we were at UCF's level, an NC State win would have been as big for us as it was for them.  You think USC or LSU is impressed with our victory over Auburn?  Let them have thier victory.  It has nothing to do with us.  [glow=yellow,2,300]And that wasn't a bad article.[/glow]  For them to see a chance to beat us when we are ranked is not delusional.  Thinking they will beat us at all is, but only from this side.

Dad, I don't think it was the article the posts here are sddressing, it was the delusional Kanigit comments on there .... like this one:

For all those who think UCF fans are trash talking, you need to open your EARS! Usf WILL NOT BEAT Louisville,West Virginia, nor Rutgers. Until you do so may I remind you that USF were handed the victory by Auburn. Just look at the fourth quater final minutes and you will see that Auburn's ball coach gave you the game. Secondly your quaterback,wide recievers, and defense was NOT GREAT! YOur quaterback is a drunk, your defense can't stop the run, and thirdly when you beat louisville, west virginia, and rutgers then USF can talk about how great they are. Untill then you are 2-0 and lucky and that's it!

Posted by: troy12 | September 11, 2007 at 04:56 PM

That's some funny crap right there ...    :thumbsup

• Content Count:  1,812

When we were at UCF's level, an NC State win would have been as big for us as it was for them.  You think USC or LSU is impressed with our victory over Auburn?  Let them have thier victory.  It has nothing to do with us.  And that wasn't a bad article.  For them to see a chance to beat us when we are ranked is not delusional.  Thinking they will beat us at all is, but only from this side.

I am glad to see them doing well.  Like I said, it has nothing to do with us.  Unless, of course, you consider them our rivals.  You don't, do you?  Some of you sound like it...

GD

I normally agree with you and do respect you taking the high road here but lets clarify some things. We are not were UCF is yet; we have only been around for 11 years they have almost 30. They seem to always point out on any available media outlet that they are ahead of us. Just not true.

As far as LSU being impressed the answer is yes they probably are; they lost to AU last in Auburn by a score of 3-7 as a matter of fact they have not won there since 1998 and have only won there 2 times since 1981. To win a close game at that stadium at night is **** near impossible as this LSU fan knows:

re: My favorite 3 words to describe AUBURN>>>>   (Posted on 9/11 at 7:39 a.m. to kbro)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big

East

Refs

I was wondering..... I know the crew that worked the LSU/VT game was an ACC crew. Did a Big East crew work the AU/USF game. I did not think anyone could win a close game in that stadium with the regular homer calls the war chickens get.

There is also a big difference between not liking someone and them being a "rival". I have a guy at work I just do not like; he lies and is a jerk. Me and him are not rivals in any way shape or form. He will never have my job or me his; I just do not like his tactics or his or his methods.

• Content Count:  557

WOW! Kyle's perspective was spot on, but the comments being left by dilusional UCF fans are rediculous. One guy is claiming that there is no way we beat any of the big 3 in the big east this year.  That comment got me so irate that I had to give them a piece of my mind. Sometimes I wounder if these tools even think before they type.

• Content Count:  4,071
  • Days Won:  2

If you think that's pathetic you should have seen the SunSports show last night. They tried hard to lump them in with us, herlding their win against NCSt (3-9 last year) as some kind of signature win...amazingly enough neither of their homer writers went with that saying there is a legit big 4, but the big 5 is a ways off...bianci even ripped O'leary's record since being there.

That show really talked about USF? :o

• Content Count:  645

If you think that's pathetic you should have seen the SunSports show last night. They tried hard to lump them in with us, herlding their win against NCSt (3-9 last year) as some kind of signature win...amazingly enough neither of their homer writers went with that saying there is a legit big 4, but the big 5 is a ways off...bianci even ripped O'leary's record since being there.

That show really talked about USF? :o

http://whitwatson.sunsportstv.com/

I had the opposite take on this from Kyle.  I saw the show and thought they were giving da Bulls big love.  Whit Watson seems to be on the bandwagon, even though he does talk about UCF as well.  Here is a link to his blog talking about the "Big 4".

• Content Count:  118

The problem with logic and emotion is that they are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.  As a result, what kind of results do you usually get when you make a logical decision opposed to an emotional decision?  All UCF fans can grasp onto is the emotional decisions when it comes to their football team.  And, they have every right to be as myopic over their Knights as I am over my Bulls.  The only problem is logic.  They have very little to back any predictions they make against Texas, USF, or any other team they may play.  I reside in the Orlando area and with a commute time from 40 minutes to an hour.  If I want to listen to sports talk, I have no choice but to listen to UCF's flagship station, or ESPN's station that only has to please Central Florida and East Central Florida.  But, I take it for what it is worth.  We have "scoreboard."  They don't.  We have had a history of "scoreboard." They don't.  We recruit better and better talent each year - regardless of what division we play (and have played) in.  They squandered their recruiting opportunity when they were in the Duante Culpepper era.  And, last our coaches do a better job of coaching our talent and a ballgame than UCF coaches do.  So, I just put up with the emotional spew that comes out of their mouthes and fingers, because my logical answer says they are nothing but myopic and that is all they have going for them.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

John, where in Orlando do you live?  I live over near the Waterford Lakes area.

• Content Count:  1,261

"with UCF playing very well to start the season"

That's funny.  They've play 1 team who is 0-2.  Jumped to a large lead early and then luckily held on.  Had NC State punted in the 2nd qtr instead of being stupid and going for it on 4th down which subsequently set up an easy field goal and had NC State punted again in the 3rd qtr instead of being stupid and going for it on 4th down, field position would've changed drastically.  The FG in the 2nd qtr alone could've changed the game from "with UCF playing very well to start the season" comment would instead read "with UCF not being able to hold a lead".

NC State coaching lost the game.

UCF got drilled in almost every statistical category and had to rely on turnovers and bad coaching to win.  Shut out in the 2nd half.  Hell, if you take away the first play of the game of 80 yards UCF would've only had 210 total yards on the day against a very average defense.

"with UCF playing very well to start the season"...........I don't think so.

Archived