• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

From Kenya, GO BULLS!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

With a 4:08am kick-off, no ESPN2, and no electricity in my tiny village of Vihiga nestled in the rolling mountains Western Kenya, this Bull awoke to some all-too familiar porridge and instant coffee so I could continuously (and nervously) refresh the box score that was USF-Auburn on my cell phone.  From the start, everything seemed to be going PERFECT with a 14-3 lead at the end of the 1st; now imagine me, the only "mazungu" for miles, yelling at his phone in the village and it's still dark out!  A few team hiccups (ahem...can we recruit a new kicker) later, the phone was telling me that Auburn was now up 20-17 in the 4th with 2:54 left to go.  It was at this perfectly opportune time that my cell phone provider, the eloquently named Safaricom, decided to trip over THAT wire at their HQ in Nairobi leaving me with no more data-transfer capabilities!  I mean, when else would such a thing happen?  Feeling as if I needed to slaughter my, I don't know, 101st chicken (I'm closer than you think), Safaricom plugged IT back in just in time for me to see that Auburn was now up 23-20 in OT and we had the ball.  It was at this moment that "Dad - Home Calling" started flashing on the cell phone to which I could only answer "TELL ME WE SCORED A TOUCHDOWN?!"  In fact we had, game over!  Nothing like starting a Sunday morning here in sunny Kenya than with a Bulls ("they" say) upset that will likely put us in the Top 25 for the first time ever. 

I tell you, it's tough not being there with so much history being made by my beloved Alma Mater.  However, I've got quite the job to do out here and it's very rewarding.  One of the best parts, though, is that I'm still able to be there in spirit (and, yes, data transfer...THANK YOU SAFARICOM!).  Keep making us proud and before you know it...I might just start hosting Bulls Watch Parties in Kenya!

GO BULLS!

BRyan

USF '04

U.S. Peace Corps

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Bryan,

Got a chance to talk to your Dad at the Elon game.  Glad to hear you're doing well, and doing some good in the world!

Mike

• Content Count:  866

Nice work Polson... got your message after the game, but as you can imagine my cell was ringing off the hook.

No chance you can get home for WVU?  3 weeks notice isn't enough??  :)

Stay safe and get home soon!

• Content Count:  18

There was a time, Collin, when someone else I knew was talking about getting their arse over here.  I still have the miles, too.  Understandably it's FB season, but even after bowl season there is when the EPL is at it's hottest here.  Hell, even come when Euro 2008 is going on.  You decide as my hut is always your hut.  Peace!

HOLLA!

Archived