• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did the play calling remind anyone of Rod Smith?

BJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

That guy was killing me. 3rd down dive plays. What the hell. We left about 21 points on the field. But I'm happy they won the game. But we can't call plays like they're scared to make the other team upset.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I don't mind the runs because we were starting to wear Auburn's D down. Some of the plays were reminiscent of Rod's play calling, but the way Gregory set them up in OT was nice.

To be an effective team we do have to run and we do have the horses to get that done this year.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

The first quarter of the game showed that we have a decent playbook.  However, the rest of the game that playbook was thrown out the window and Smith did the play calling from the Internet or something.  I was pulling my hair out because we got SOOOOO conservative after building a lead in the first quarter.  We are lucky to have pulled out the win with that play calling.

Agree with everything you said 100%.

In another thread while the game was going on, I said Gregory must have had Rod Smith being beamed via satellite into his headphones.

The 1st quarter was great.

Then, our playcalling went back to "Elon Mode."

What the heck was that?!?!?

Oh well, just ecstatic about the win this morning.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Just remember in the 2nd qtre they punted to our 1 yard line.  Then on the next series Allen intercepted and we started at 11.  We were in ball protection mode at that point.  We really couldn't do too much.  We needed to be conservative down there. 

The rest of the game we were pretty much in "no mistake" mode when we were down in their end of the field.  We couldn't run outside and they were getting on Grothe quickly.  My guess is the thinking was that Ford was big enough to just pound out the yardage.

What I don't understand is why we don't ever throw screens or use play action off of all the running we do.  The other thing I don't understand is when we are down close and we have a 5'10" DB on Amarri (who is 6'5") and Mitchell (6"4), can't we try a lob or a fade?  That drives me nuts.

Overall Gregory called a pretty good game.  He took what the circumstances dictated and we let the D win it for us.  If the Kicking comes through we winn by 12 or more points.

The pass to Hester was definitely a result of the runs into the line.  Smith would have panicked in this game and tried some wacky double pass or reverse or something that was too risky against such a fast defense.

Conservative playcalling is what our field position and circumstances called for.  Alvarado needs to come through on the chip shots, but he came through when he needed to.

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

The play calling was just a bit conservative; but had that wild twist to it.  Just enough to make Tommy play Jim's game - Jim got him right where he wanted him - Into OVERTIME.  5/0 all time - thanks players and coaches.

• Content Count:  919

I thought the play calling in the 2nd QTR was excellent when USF spent the entire QTR backed up to its own goal line.  That is the time ot be conservative and avoid a TO that could lose the game. 

However, they were a little too conservative in the 2nd half IMO when they finally had field position.  I kept waiting for play action or WR screens or swings to the RB.  I understand what the coaches were doing since the USF D SHUT DOWN the Tigers in the 2nd half.  They showed the Auburn D tons of respect.

Maybe not big on style points, but a HUGE WIN FOR USF!!

• Content Count:  243

Misdirection left. Misdirection right. Misdirection QB keeper. FG attempt, FG miss. FG attempt, FG miss. Biggest Victory in school history.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This was the best and fastest defense we will see all year long.  Once Ford is fully in Football condition, this offense will be scary good.  Watching the replay on ESPN Clasic.  I can see why Ford got tired in the second half.  he was plowing into some big heavyweights on almost every carry he had.  That won't be the case in just about any of the rest of the games.

I think the for the most part, the playcalling was good.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

It was frustrating to watch the plays called - it was as if we were afraid to throw the ball.  I will say though that through the years conservative calls on offense when you have a good defense usually means that you will be in the game at the end.

• Content Count:  1,757

That in no way, no how resembled a Rod Smith gameplan!!! Had R Smith been there it would have been a 23-0 win for AU. 

As for Leavitt... WOW.  That was impressive. 

That was the TOUGHEST defense we have seen yet, or will see until bowl season (hopefully!)

Archived